SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

Wreaths! Have you found any really nice ones? ❣️

nicole___
last year

These two I already own....I'd like a new one...something different!

Comments (47)

• bbstx
    last year

For summer, I have french wire baskets similar to these on my doors. It is probably time to retire them. The baskets are 15 years old. I have the flowers and the ribbons replaced every couple of years.

In the Fall, I have simple moss and bark wreaths with fall colored ribbons on them.

In the Spring, I use forsythia wreaths.

From what I’m seeing on IG, it looks like plain boxwood wreaths with sashes are the current trend.

nicole___ thanked bbstx
  • Sueb20
    last year

I’ve gotten some really nice wreaths from The Wreath Depot on A.…n.

nicole___ thanked Sueb20
  • Related Discussions

Have You Found Any Bargains At the Grocery Lately?

Q

Comments (14)
    The best deals I've seen lately is laundry detergent. We have two grocery stores in town, one a big box, but they do compete on soft drinks and a few other items. The smaller store often has better quality fresh fruits and vetables. Last week at Piggly Wiggly, found a special on laundry detergent: $2 for a medium size jug, normally goes for $5 to $8. Bought 2 jugs. Had been buying at Sams Club, but these prices were better cost per ounce. This week, the big box store, Pick'n Save, countered with same size detergent at $2 per jug, a different brand than the other store. Gonna buy 2 more jugs tomorrow. Won't need any more for a few months. I haven't found any bargains in tree nuts. These have been going up steadily in price since mid-last year. Two yeara ago, I could buy a 2 lbs can of mixed nuts (50% peanuts) for $10; this week the price went up to $13 when on sale, regular price: $14. Peanuts are still reasonable, but also creeping upward. Yesterday, I came home a bit miffed. I decided to pick up a loaf of rye bread to go with sliced ham. Wow, a small loaf was expensive, and then I spied a local brand, loaf same size as regular and lower cost. It had blazed in big letters on the end of the wrapper, RYE. I perchanced to read the ingredients. Guess what - no rye flour, dust, or anything. How can they get off putting RYE in bold letters on the wrapper when there is no rye in the bread??? I think it was wheat flour, a little Barley, and rye flavoring. Paahhh!
    ...See More

Have YOU found any bargains or deals lately? Hhhhhmmmmmm.......?

Q

Comments (45)
    I just took advantage of this deal from No7 (Boots--a company in the UK). I've bought their skin creams before, including this one, so when I heard about this set of three face creams--day, night, and serum--I ordered it as a gift for my daughter. List price was $77.99, reduced to $58.49. The price using the BRADSYS code was $30 shipped. Good deal! You can find it here
    ...See More

Have YOU found any bargains or deals lately? Hhhhhmmmm.........?

Q

Comments (26)
    Not a bargain, but good news from State Farm. They're refunding the $500 we were charged when we had to file a claim last year. We should never had had to file, but nobody was listening. Our upstairs neighbors at the Maui condo admitted they'd caused the leak that damaged our unit. However, this happened the day before we were to close on our sale of the condo, and we had to get moving on the cleanup. It's only taken *forever*, but we supposedly getting a check in the mail. It can go towards paying DH's BCBS deductible for his hospital stay last month: $2K and growing.
    ...See More

October Have you found any bargains or deals? Hhhhhmmmmm......?

Q

Comments (36)
    I'm doing a long-overdue re-organization of my garage. I needed all sorts of garage hanging gadgets, so I went to Menards. It was during their rebate special... I had no idea what it was. The helpful cashier pointed to the bottom portion of my receipt. I'm getting 11% back! Does that count as a bargain? I didn't realize Menards carried so much... stuff. They have a whole section of JR Watkins products.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I can usually find something I like at Target

nicole___ thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • blfenton
    last year

I had a really tough time finding a new spring wreath for our front door this year. Supply of them was just scarce. I did finally find something at Michaels.

The plain boxwood didn't appeal to me and I did get a quote on a custom wreath but they have gone up in price astronomically.

nicole___ thanked blfenton
  • LynnNM
    last year

Thanks for the wake-up, Nicole! I’ve been so busy working on our landscaping projects that I didn’t even realize that I have this (very) Spring-ish door hanging STILL on our front door! I made it a number of years ago. How embarrassing!

We have company coming to stay in less than 2 weeks. This thread is timely as I need inspiration for a Summer wreath now. Thanks!

nicole___ thanked LynnNM
  • gigitn
    last year

I always find gorgeous wreaths on Etsy.

nicole___ thanked gigitn
  • roxanna
    last year

No suggestions as to where to buy, as I always make my own!

nicole___ thanked roxanna
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

@roxanna...any photos? Advice on what seasonal materials are around right now?

• Jilly
    last year

I had a plain grapevine wreath, but wanted to dress it up, so found this metal and wood piece to add to it:

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

Cool Jinx! So creative! Not cookie cutter......see...i'm still looking for that "touch"....

• gigitn
    last year

I've got this one on my front door. It was $119 on Etsy.

nicole___ thanked gigitn
  • roxanna
    last year

nicole -- several decades ago, I worked as a florist and we often did silk arrangements as well. That lit the crafty lightbulb in me, and for many a year I went crazy, buying silk and other artificial stuff like pinecones and good quality fruit for my own amusement at home. I am fussy but frugal, so have bought stuff from W88mart, Michaels and definitely online. I find that using artificial flowers is a good thing (no changing of water, the arrangement lasts a lo-o-o-ng time, etc.). I have several arrangements at home that were made 20 years ago...I still like them!

That said, I also have found some decent quality wreaths at Michaels and the big W stores, for reasonable $$ (20-50$$). Sometimes I leave them alone to be just simple. I do buy grapevine wreaths and get more flamboyant, usually for winter/Christmas. I have done full-circle additions, but really like doing asymmetrical ones, like a couple of the photos above.

One thing I enjoyed doing was to make artificial oranges studded with real whole cloves -- like what we used to do as kids with real oranges. They get piled on my two-tiered wooden fruit stand for the holidays -- oh, all right, they live there years round at this point. So shoot me!

I have made wreaths for other folks as gifts often. You should plan a trip to visit me as I have TONS of unused silks stored here that I need to find homes for! My sons are going to have fits when they have to deal with all my stuff after I shuffle off this mortal coil... lol.

Sorry I don't have photos. I am not tech-savvy enough to post that way.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

I have two wreaths that I rotate according to the season, but I keep it simple. One of them is a grapevine wreath, the other is made of short white driftwood pieces - I just stick decorations - real and faux - in them and I buy bows from shops on Etsy. I have too much arthritis in my hands to make nice bows anymore. Our door is protected and is a glossy marine blue. The decorations don't get much wind or weather. The wreaths are many years old...as are some of the well-crafted bows.

nicole___ thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Feathers11
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm in the same boat as Lynn... kinda just tossed a boxwood wreath on my door and forgot about it when gardening season started. The wreath is still very plainly there. I need to do something with it. Roxanna, I need to hire your help.

Jinx, omg--that's perfect!

nicole___ thanked Feathers11
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

Hobby Lobby and Bath & body works have both declared it is officially fall so I would at least be looking for those kind of colors!

nicole___ thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks roxanna! I wish you lived closer. I would accept your invitation.

My wreaths are from Joanne's Fabrics. This little gem/Dogwood is $2. It might look good if added to a bigger wreath....

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Create your own one for summer

nicole___ thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

I also occasionally find some nice ones at Target. My current one is made of dried lavender and other herbs I found at a festival back in the spring. Since it’s on my covered front porch, so far it has held up fine. I didnt pay a lot for it, so we’ll see. It’s almost time to switch to fall colors. Dont know what i’ll find, and it is time to replace what i currently have I think.

nicole___ thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jilly
    last year

Thanks, nicole and Feathers!

I can’t have faux flowers because the door gets full-on brutal Texas sun. They fade and deteriorate too quickly.

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • roxanna
    last year

Ahhh, Jinx!! I do love you, my virtual pal. The above is hilarious, and (from what I remember about TX --1968-1972) is practically the absolute truth. And back then wasn't like this year really at all, just a major difference for this person from MA. Thought I would die before I could go elsewhere permanently, lol. The River Walk area was nice tho!

Sorry for the hijack nicole!

Feathers -- You pay for shipping only and I'll be able to reduce my supplies... win, win!! Offer open to all comers as long as supplies last, my eyesight holds up and my dexterity doesn't go the way of all things in tandem with "old" age. =)

• Jilly
    last year

Roxanna, did you move somewhere cooler? Can I come stay with you? (Plus I’d love to meet you!) 😍

• jill302
    last year

Love the small dogwood wreath.

Our desert place us not too far from Texas in Jinx’s pic. I have been on the search for 5 months for a Spring and/or Summer wreath for my desert house. Part of the problem is I know that whatever I chose is not going to have a long shelf life due to the heat and sun, so I am not wanting to spend much. I found one that I liked and was about to order it when I noticed the exact wreath on my neighbor’s door, they live directly across the street. At least they have good taste. Back to the drawing board for me, think I will look for fall instead.

nicole___ thanked jill302
  • bbstx
    last year

Even though my front door faces East, the Sun can be pretty brutal. I’ve thought about getting a door hanger instead of a wreath.

https://tomtomandcompany.com/collections/door-hanger

nicole___ thanked bbstx
  • roxanna
    last year

Jinx -- DH was in the Air Force (career) so we eventually moved on to D.C., SD and lastly to Massachusetts. Heat in summer happens most everywhere in the US, but TX was a special hell for me (car was not equipped with AC until we had it retrofitted the second year He retired and we finally bought our first home in central MA 24 years ago. Normally it is cooler here -- this spring was utterly divine for me with a very long stretch of temps in the 70s, low humidity and enough rainfall. Now we are sharing the high heat/no rain with many other areas, and it does put a cramp in my style.

And yes! You can come stay with me -- as soon as I locate my "guest room" under all the detritus that has accumulated since the pandemic began. I think there might actually be a floor in that room, tho I haven't seen it since forever... LOL. I would adore meeting you -- I very much enjoy your posts and humor!!!

So, you fly up here to visit, and as soon as you get off the plane, you help me throw all the stuff into any free space (hah). Then you help me make the queen-sized bed and I will then fluff the towels... Sound like a plan to you?! =)

nicole -- apologies to you again for derailing your thread! My brain seems to work mainly in derailment mode these days. Le sigh.

• Jilly
    last year

The feeling is mutual!

I don’t think you realize what you’ve done … I’m packing with one hand while I type with the other. 😁

(nicole, I’m sorry, too! I’ll let y’all know when I get to roxanna’s.) :D

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • roxanna
    last year

LOLOL, Jinx! We may need to become private pen-pals in order to let other folks here carry on without either of us bothering them! (Yes, I also have a stash of stationery.......somewhere in this house. And lots of Forever stamps.)

• nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

@roxanna...your not derailing...your going to make a few wreaths with Jinx. Jinx will show you how to post pictures of them...and we can ALL get ideas that will save us tons of money! ✂️

• roxanna
    last year

nicole, you are very kind to let me ramble on and on! I like your idea of making wreaths with Jinx and having her show me how to post pics -- that would be such fun. I have often wished to be able to post photos of my gardens, Christmas decor exuberance, etc. Hey, girls -- if I could figure out how to do a video how-to for wreath-making, and post it....... hmmmm. Yeah, riiiight! (On the other hand, I DO have a young grandson who takes videos, and another who could possibly load it on the internet. Hmmmm, again.)

All one really needs is a hot-glue gun, some floral bits and a wreath form -- it isn't brain surgery, after all, and you only have to please yourself. No judgement! And it is a lot of fun to do, and does save $$ (as long as you control your buying impulses, as I sometimes do not). Go for it! C'mon, I double dare you!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

@roxanna - are you near Westfield? My DH spent his civilian career as a systems engineer working with the AF at Hanscom in Bedford. He had some intersting job assignments. My favorite was a 2 year stint in the Netherlands. It's a gardener's X-rated dream. I'm still shedding my collection of things I shipped back many years ago...

• nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

@roxanna..🤣

I've made 2. Small ones, that now decorate the inside of my pantry. This one has prickly Pear Poppies. But...it's just NOT done well. I just wanted to buy one.....😍

• roxanna
    last year

nicole -- your wreath only needs to be tweaked, IMHO! -- if you can remove the poppies, then cut the stems shorter and individually. Then place them along a line, where you bend each stem slightly to conform to the circle. Use more poppies if you have them, as well as the leaves. Cluster two or three together, then place single ones trailing a bit further apart. I like the wheat sheaves (?) but they might be better on a larger form, since I doubt they could be bent, but perhaps if they were shorter it would work. If you want the effect of their straight lines, then just glue bunches of the shorter stems wherever you like as well. As I mentioned earlier, asymmetrical is very pleasing.

• roxanna
    last year

seagrass -- Not Westfield but just southwest of Worcester. DH was stationed at Hanscom for two almost back-to-back 3-year tours, with an unaccompanied tour for 18 months to Okinawa between. Then he had several other postings around the Boston area, and another unaccompanied tour to Georgia until he retired, altho the kids and I stayed where we were Hudson MA) and he commuted daily.

I envy you the tour in the Netherlands! And I love your forum name!!

• nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

@roxanna...I'll have to see if they have more poppies.....then give it a try. Thank you!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

@roxanna - we lived north of Hudson in Harvard near Ft. Devens for a long time I really miss the hills of Worcester County, The orchards and the rock walls. Cape Cod is a difficult place to live, summer is a nightmare. We consolidated when DH rertired and moved to our second home out here. No kids for us. Not sure how we could have planned anything different...

nicole___ thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • arcy_gw
    last year

I found this beauty last year. I love the tiny red leaves. !!! I hang my wreaths on the inside of the door, no way to I want them smashed by the storm door, or subjected to the elements! I am getting anxious to dig it out of storage and hang it soon!! On the outside down low I have wooden wreaths/holiday items that can stand up to weather better.

Here's Christmas.

nicole___ thanked arcy_gw
  • bbstx
    last year

@roxanna, when you start typing a message, do you have this photo icon below the message box?

If so, click on it. You should get a drop down menu with choices for Photo Library, Take Photo, and Choose File. I click on Photo Library and it brings up my photos. Then I choose the photo I want which opens a box with the picture in it. In the upper right corner of the box is the word ”USE.” Tap on USE and it will put the photo in your message box.

nicole___ thanked bbstx
  • yeonassky
    last year

I use a pale pink roses wreath. It is time for me to find a new one as well as I lost one of the roses.

I really like your wreath hanger Nicole! If you don't mind telling me where did you get it?

nicole___ thanked yeonassky
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

@yeonassky...it's called an antler wreath hanger by Village Lighting. I looked around for you to get the best price $34.99 looks like the going rate right now on Amazon. Click

• nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

@Irish2.... Placed on a black lacquer door...NICE! Here's a pretty one....on sale through Magnolia House. 17". A little small....but a cool look to it!

Oooohh.....found THIS one from Pottery Barn....$69!

• roxanna
    last year

bbstx -- thank you! I shall copy and keep and eventually TRY. I'd cross my fingers but that would likely interfere with the whole operation!! I appreciate you!

• nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

@roxanna...I added more flowers & wheat. It's fuller and more symmetrical. I like it! I know...there's always room for improvement,,, the top wheat to the right is a little high, I might remove that bunch...but at least I have a Spring wreath. The new bunch of flowers were on sale for .50 cents, tagged as petunias.

• roxanna
    last year

nicole -- that looks great! Good job! Don't stop now -- autumn is just around the corner... =)

• Jilly
    last year

Great job, nicole!

What color is your front door? I love it!

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! Glad ya all like it. 💕

@Jilly...IDK It's a "warm" brown. My story about THIS house. It's HUGE! 6/6/4. 10 years old. Never finished, rotted deck supports, metal deck railing rusted and falling down. The owner was living in it with his kid. He was unable to handle ALL the work it needed. ALL the appliances were non-working. There was NO exhaust hood. We moved in and started working on it. Then COVID hit. Most of the rooms were empty of furniture. Now I'm getting the landscaping in, window coverings....furniture...

• tuesday_2008
    last year

Just came across this post....love changing out my wreaths! I have a friend in my small town who owns a craft/gift/floral shop who makes my wreaths, very reasonably priced. Here is my summer wreath (I wanted a loose, wildflower look).

She also made me a topper for my grapevine tree.

nicole___ thanked tuesday_2008