SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

What do you drink for dehydration other than water?

Oakley
last year

Last week DS2 was hospitalized with low blood sodium, Hyponatremia. Never heard of it before.

"Hyponatremia is a decrease in serum sodium concentration caused by an excess of water relative to solute. Common causes include diuretic use, diarrhea, heart failure, liver disease, renal disease, and the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH)."

DS was released the next afternoon after being on an IV until his sodium level was up. Basically he was overhydrated.

He's in FL and works out all the time & drinks tons of water and I never found out what caused the Hyponatremia. If it was serious I'm sure he'd have told me. Some meds can cause the problem in those with BD.

DS said last night he's drinking Liquid IV and I'm assuming the doctor recommended it or something similar.

Liquid IV Good review. I need to keep something here for dehydration because I know I had it once this summer. Easy to tell when a kidney starts hurting, and it goes away when you drink water. Kind of like a kidney stone.

Gatorade tastes awful, and I do need to keep something at the house for those days I'm sweating too much and drinking too much or not enough water.

Do you use anything for proper hydration?

Comments (37)