SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

How to handle door casing for a furred out (thicker) wall?

artemis78
last year
last modified: last year

We are finally to the trim part of our renovation. We have an odd situation with our door casing that I need some ideas on, though. Our contractor had to build out the wall by about 3/4" to be able to avoid cutting into joists for the plumbing of a new bathroom. Now that door needs to be trimmed. We are matching the home's original casing, which is a simple 4 1/2" flat trim. What is the best way to build up the casing to hide this gap? I'd like to avoid taking off any of the trim that isn't already off. We are reusing the crosshead but need to replace the two pieces on the side, since they cracked when they were removed. So far my best thought was to add a piece to essentially extend the trim with the green paint on it to bring it flush with the drywall and then install the side casing as usual, but not sure if that is the best solution. (Everything will be painted.) Are there other creative ways to do this? (I will, of course, also see what our GC's crew suggests, but they did not seem to have a clear idea of what might work so I'd also like to have a sense of what to request.) We have a good local lumber yard that will cut trim down to size if I know what to ask them for. Thanks!

ETA: The door is out-swing and unaffected by the casing on this side of the wall, so this is purely about what will look cleanest aesthetically.

Comments (3)