SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelsey_ejzak

small foundation plantings

Kelsey Ejzak
last year

We just moved into our center hall colonial home in the Northeast this past winter. There were many overgrown holly bushes planted along the front of the foundation which were totally overgrown. There is a paver walkway which is about 3 feet away from the edge of the foundation. We have ripped out the holly bushes because they were planted too close to the house and were creating moisture issues with the wood siding, however I am unsure what to plant there that will stay small enough to let the house breathe and not draw pests towards the house. The main issue seems to be that the walkway is too close to the house. It is also mostly shaded due to tree cover and the direction of the house, and it stays rather wet there due to a combination of lack of sun, the direction the house is facing, and elevation of the driveway in comparison to the house. We are working on drying it out by cutting down some trees, regrading the driveway and installing gutters, however it will still be partially shaded for most of the day. My husband just wants to put down 1/2 inch stone and leave the area between the front of the house and sidewalk empty, but I don't like the idea of a bare front of the house with no plantings. Short of moving the sidewalk, is there any foundation plantings that would stay low and add some visual interest to the house without trapping moisture near the house?

Comments (6)