SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tfitz1006_gw

Time to re-examine the front borders

9 years ago

Zone 6, nj, northern exposure, strong afternoon sun.

Overview: just had a crummy cypress removed from far left so looking for something for there. Tree guy thought maybe a crape myrtle. Two nice hollies on either side of stairs, just had them trimmed. To the far right, was three shrubs and we trimmed them and tied them together to provide some stability.

Right side: two spiraea, large rhododendron which I wish was centered between windows, smaller one to the left, doing so-so. Emerald gaiety and another type of euonymous, also two small foundation type plants (maybe boxwood). Pachysandra and some other ground cover stuff up against foundation.

Left side: hosta and ferns which will be moved to back shade garden, spiraea, small azalea, andromeda (not doing too well). Lots of some type of ivy that is taking over my world. It's pretty, pink and green with white flowers in spring, but it is invasive.

In general I'd like a slightly more formal and planned look instead of the mush I have now. I welcome all your suggestions. I'm an enthusiastic gardener and am willing to move things around, relocate to either my back garden or give to friends, etc. most of the bulbs I had planted are petering out except for some small snowdrop type flowers in early spring so this fall I would like to put in a good amount of bulbs and I welcome your input on that as well.

First up is a pic of the entire front. House to be repainted next year, likely same or similar colors. Cedar roof to be treated next spring and hopefully we can match the color all throughout. Many thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions