SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Best fertilizer for pole beans?

Alisande
last year
last modified: last year

I've grown pole beans on my bean arch in the same place for 12 years. I haven't done a lot of fertilizing, although I've added varying amounts of compost from time to time. This year the young plants (Kentucky Wonder, Fortex, and Hilda, planted June 11) looked as though they could use some help, and I was told MiracleGro All-Purpose was great for beans. I use this stuff on my potted flowers, so I gave the beans some a couple of weeks ago.

With the exception of two plants that have noticeably lighter green leaves (what causes that?), the plants certainly look good, but I can't help thinking there must be a better choice. Is there? Or am I just looking for a problem where none exists? Thanks for your advice!

Incidentally, this is my first year growing Hilda, a Romano bean, and I'm rather dazzled. The Kentucky Wonder and Fortex have latched onto the bean arch, and a few have gotten as tall as 2 feet. But Hilda has reached 5.5 to 7 feet! The reviews I read said it's also exceptionally delicious.

Comments (10)