SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheepla

Custom home on old home site (getting rid of basement)?

sheepla
last year

I would appreciate some advice from the kind people on this board. We are in the process of our custom home design. Originally we were going to build next to our existing home (about 1,200 sf) and then demolish the existing house. We've realized that is a compromise as to location on our part and we'd rather go ahead and tear down the existing home and build over that site. Our existing house has a basement (which we hate with the light of a thousand fires) and the new house (about 2,600 sf on the main floor) will be a crawl space.

I'm assuming this is done all the time. I'm thinking demolition and fill and then we'd have to bring an engineer out to do a geotech soil report to sign off on the site before beginning new construction. In my experience, every hole ever filled in sinks with time and we obviously don't want that to happen under our new home.

We live in a very rural area where there are no building permits required (or even available).

I'd love some tips about what else I should be thinking of or if it is a crazy idea to build on the existing house site.

Comments (19)