SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_384

Need (urgent!) help with front door color for blue house

Kate S
last year

We are currently having the exterior of our house painted, and we desperately need to choose a front door color within the next day or so.

The new house exterior color is BM Mozart Blue (1665). We were aiming for a true mid-blue. While I still like the color when I see it close up, on the whole house it is...A LOT, as you can see below. The whole thing is much more in-your-face than I had anticipated, and I don't really like it, but there's not a lot I can do about it at this point. Note - our shutters are currently being painted black and will be rehung on the front windows shortly.

We had originally planned on an orange front door - but now that I see the painted house, I am scared to make the house stand out even further with a bright door color. I tried some teal-ish/mint green tones but they don't look right either. I hate the way the current red door looks - much too brash/garish. If my overall goal is to "tone down" the house as much as possible, am I safest in just painting the front door black, to match the shutters? Or does anyone have any other ideas, short of starting over?!?

House with new paint color, old red front door, missing shutters. Note that the front door area is basically shaded all day.

Trying a few different oranges - top is SW Navel 6887, middle is SW Goldenrod, 6677, bottom is BM Orange Parrot 2169-20:

Playing around with teals/greens - from top they are BM Appalachian Trail (633), BM St Lucia Teal (683), BM Gulf Stream (670), BM Celadon (590). Of these I like the top 2 the best, but am still not sure any of them are right.

Please help me not mess this up any more than I already have! I want something classy and unobtrusive. Should I just stick with black?

Comments (20)