SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_983154232

Help! Starter home in urgent need of kitchen remodel!

Jane Lastname
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Please help us with ideas for what to do with our kitchen! Our house is a 1200sq ft 3-bedroom 1-bathroom cape built in 1950 with an 11' x 12' kitchen that needs a major overhaul. The counters are disintegrating and the cabinet paint is peeling and we have a 9-month-old son who puts everything in his mouth, so we REALLY want to get moving on this. We don't want to pour more money into it than it is actually worth since we plan on selling in a few years and it's a starter home in a modest neighborhood. Please tell us your ideas for this space because we KNOW it has potential.

Above is a view into the kitchen from the dining room

Please excuse the mess- this is why we are asking for help!

Our priorities are 1) cost 2) storage space, 3) counter space and 4) functionality as an entryway (the main door opens directly into the kitchen).

We would really appreciate input on the following-

1. What is the best layout for this kitchen that maximizes storage space, counter space, and efficiency?

It's very difficult to cook in our kitchen because we lack food prep surfaces. We also lack storage for food and pots and pans so we definitely want more cabinets. We know we want to add a dishwasher (to the right of the sink?) and a microwave/vent over the stove. We are considering a) moving the refrigerator (28" wide & 30" deep) to the right of the stove, putting the dishwasher to the left of the sink, and making some type of storage for coats/bags/shoes where the refrigerator was behind the door or b) taking down the wall with the look-through to open up the kitchen into the dining room and c) keeping the current layout and adding the dishwasher to the right of the sink and cabinets below the look-through.

Besides the added cost of taking down the load bearing wall, we're worried that eliminating that wall would decrease our storage possibilities, and storage is at a premium in our small house. Also, a limiting factor is the radiator to the right of the door.

2. What materials and colors would you suggest to keep costs low and still attract buyers?

Our aesthetic plan is white raised panel cabinets, "oak" colored luxury vinyl floor that is similarly colored to our hardwood floors in the rest of the house, light blue walls, and stone-look laminate countertops (light? dark?). We were thinking of skipping backsplash. Replacing the fan and over-the-sink light but not adding additional lighting. Basically, we are going for functional and generic.

3. Any tips on how to find someone to perform the work for the best value? A couple of the contractors we spoke with seemed shady whereas a local family-owned cabinet maker/supplier has been very friendly but also seems too elaborate/expensive for a basic remodel where our main goals are cost and basic function.

We are open to any and all advice. We have so many ideas but really need some guidance. We are home almost all the time during this pandemic -there is no escaping from this kitchen that we hate- please help!

Comments (93)

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

Consider an 18” dishwasher, if you decide not to move the appliances.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Hi Muriel. In case it is an option that you want to consider for economic and/or space-saving reasons, I want to share that I have had over-the-range microwave/vents in three kitchens and never had an issue. I found that venting system to be just as effective as the one built into my countertop range. It is also the option that my sister has chosen in her homes since they first became available. She uses her kitchens a lot, while I do not.

I often read here on Houzz the concerns that Flo expressed, and we all know that “Flo knows.” (I’m serious.) With all due respect, I just want to say that my experience has been different. FWIW.

• Related Discussions

Lighting plan for kitchen URGENT help needed..(Davidtay & others)

Q

Comments (9)
    The UCL thread on this forum has all the info you can use. Read that as there are many things which need to be considered such as whether your cabinets have a completely flat bottom from one end of the run to the other. For starters - UCL will either be low (12v - 24v DC ) or line voltage (120V or 240V AC depending on where you're located on the globe). If you want a finished look, the UCL has to be hardwired, with all the necessary wiring tucked away appropriately.
    ...See More

*Urgent* Need help with placement of island in my angled kitchen!

Q

Comments (28)
    You know, it's really easy to experience brain meltdown when you're making a million decisions. In fact it is physiological, our brains use up glucose each time we make a decision and it doesn't get replenished until we sleep. No more glucose = no more decision making capability. So sometimes other people can see the solution that our brains just don't have the physical ability to realize. I don't see any problem with nicely suggesting a potential solution that a poster might have overlooked. Even if it wasn't asked for. "Tomorrow" in the original post is in fact, today. So I'm guessing Heather is busy with her install. She may or may not have seen these ideas, and she may or may not be considering them if she did see them. It's not too late to help someone else in a similar situation though who might find this thread through a search engine.
    ...See More

HELP! Need design advice on kitchen/house layout remodel!

Q

Comments (15)
    Good question...That space is actually not that big in real life. We'll likely put the 2 chairs with a table in between that we have in the sunroom now. We may end up with a moveable island in the "butler's pantry" -- agree, it's more of an extended kitchen space. But we can reuse the same cabinets so it will be low cost and extra storage since we'll have less in the main kitchen area. Moving the bathroom was deemed to be more than $10k, and creates a lot more complexity in the project. I am intrigued by that idea, but I think that will actually make the house feel smaller since that will create more of a closed off hallway from our utility room.
    ...See More

Remodeling kitchen in new house. Need help with floor plan

Q

Comments (1)
    I’d try to match the opening to the living room on the dining room side, then make a U-shaped kitchen. Put a small table or two comfy chairs in the bay window space. Definitely no to that first island layout.
    ...See More
  • dsimber
    3 years ago

I also want to say that I really like the plan partim just shared. I would keep access to the kitchen for carrying in groceries. Obviously, you can make the best determination on that by comparing space needs and what works best for your family. Which door do your guests use?

• partim
    3 years ago

I'd put the microwave on a upper-cabinet shelf beside the refrigerator. Then someone can take food out of the refrigerator and microwave it without crossing the kitchen. My refrigerator and microwave are side-by-side and it's a common kitchen activity to just heat up a drink, or leftovers, without needing the sink or stove.

In terms of the work triangle, the fridge-sink distance is a bit long but not too bad. The other distances are fine and there's plenty of work space.

For the 2 12" lower cabinets beside the stove, you could save money by making them open cabinets that face sideways instead of drawers that pull forward. Not sure if you could use 12" upper cabinets for that purpose - they'd need to be the correct height.

If you can get people to use the front door instead of the kitchen door, you could put a shallow, narrow pantry cupboard to the left of the door, instead of a chair and hooks.

• Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

You could very easily use upper cabinets as bases beside the stove in the manner that partim suggests. To do so, order 30 inch uppers and build the base on site.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

The old days especially, there was shelving in open areas. Not sure what you thought of shelves in your pass-through part - and suited door fronts too, facing more dressy DR.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Would you please add a photo of the whole side of the house that has the kitchen door and the dining room?

Is there a garage just beyond where the car is shown? If so, is it used for parking cars every day or just for storage at the moment?

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

What is the budget range and will it include any new appliances?

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

The Ikea kitchen planner is fast, easy and free. No need to buy Ikea cabinets to use it.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/planners/

• partim
    3 years ago

Since we can all use a laugh these days, and so many of us are recommending Ikea...

• dsimber
    3 years ago

😂

• dsimber
    3 years ago

I feel an obligation to share that the new IKEA kitchen in our private preschool showed signs of deterioration due to poor quality almost immediately. Perhaps there are different grades?

• Jane Lastname
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much for your continued input and help. We are weighing all our options, but we really love hearing new ideas, and appreciate everyone's hard work.

Some thoughts:

- @emilyam819 We are looking into an 18" dishwasher. Thank you!

@Flo Mangan We thought we had to go with Stainless steel for the dishwasher and microwave, even though we like white appliances better. Thanks for supporting the idea of just sticking with white appliances. I think it really does go better with our house overall and obviously it's cheaper.

@partim I think you are definitely on to something with the flagstones idea and trying to use the front door as our most used entrance. There are some limitations to us doing that currently, but we are discussing how we could make it work. Thanks for the suggestion.

@dsimber For the over the range microwave, are you referring to microwaves that are vented to the outside or to microwaves that recirculate indoor air through a filter?

As for appliances, we prefer to keep our existing appliances unless we discover a very good reason to replace them such as a change in their dimensions allowing us to pull off a tricky but helpful layout.

@Flo Mangan Thanks so much for all of your thoughtful suggestions. We are very interested in the hall rack that you and @Muriel Thompson posted.

As for going DIY, this kitchen remodel is one area of the house where we know our limits and want to leave the labor to the professionals so it is done right the first time.

As for budget, we are aiming for $12-15K maximum.

@apple_pie_order No we do not have a garage, just a driveway and concrete steps that lead directly into the kitchen.

@Quentin Parker what material did you choose for your countertops?

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Jane, I’m not sure I can answer that question! Does it help if I tell you we have always chosen GE?

• Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

Don't go with a 18 inch dishwasher in a normal sized kitchen. They are more expensive and limited selection when you need to replace. Instead, consider a 24 inch dishwasher and a smaller sink. With a DW, you won't need a double bowl sink so you can get a single bowl in a 24 inch base cabinet.

Is your radiator cast iron baseboard? At a minimum, have a shallow countertop installed over the radiator, somewhere around 15 inches is quite useful but not overpowering. If you make it the right height, you can use it for a high chair tray. Also, nice place to sit a toddler while you put on their shoes and socks or hats and mittens. Definitely beats bending over. At my previous house, I had steam heat and the radiator was installed underneath the kitchen sink. Space under the sink is usually only minimally useful anyway so it worked well. There are special radiators for undercabinet installation but given your budget, I would leave well enough alone.

Even if you keep your current fridge, leave enough space for a larger fridge at a later time. You have plenty of space for a nice working kitchen but you do need to use it wisely. I would suggest closing up the pass through and opening the doorway a bit wider. I have 4 foot opening and find it looks open while preserving precious wall space for storage. On the dining room side, I would build in a wall storage unit which would provide lots of storage or cheaper yet, find a used buffet or cabinet. For a couple hundred dollars, you would get lots of useful storage space

• Quentin Parker
    3 years ago

The countertops we chose from IKEA are laminate, but much cheaper than the big box stores. I've also found cheaper laminate to stain or blotch or get scratches easily, but this has been very durable. Certainly for the price it's much more than I was expecting.

Jane Lastname thanked Quentin Parker
  • Quentin Parker
    3 years ago

@dsimber Yes. hate particle board cabinets. This is why we didn't go with IKEA cabinets. They swell with any amount of moisture and the facing starts to buckle or detach.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Of course it depends completely on where in the country you are, but I was able to do my remodel for just about $15k (excluding the new stove, fridge and dishwasher - another ~ $1500 for those)..I kept the footprint of the kitchen, but removed a soffit, got all new custom sized cabinets (made locally, in order to maximize storage and not waste space trying to fit in standard sizes), new LED lighting in the ceiling, some wall, ceiling, and trim repair, relocated the stove, fridge, and the dishwasher, added electrical outlets, undercabinet lighting, new sink, disposal, faucet, detergent dispenser, added a window, new relocated stove hood, and flooring.

Hope it helps to know that.

Jane Lastname thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Stylish touch such as glass cabinet doors

Formica Counter · More Info

• Quentin Parker
    3 years ago

Maybe this is heresy on here, but we're keeping our kitchen remodel to well under 3k and that was starting with a kitchen that was basically unliveable (paneling, drop ceiling, sink that didn't drain, ancient backsplash panels, rotted countertop, cabinets peeling and gouged and everything coated with grime), and that price is with new light fixtures, lower cabinets and hardware, countertops, plumbing, updated electric to code, primer and paint on walls, trim, and ceilings, caulk, joint compound, dishwasher (we've spent just over a thousand so far with all this), and eventually different stove, floor, backsplash, shelving, and faucet. That's just the max we are willing to expend considering what we paid and what we could get out of it in this area. It's amazing how creative you can get when you set a low budget. Of course, this is with doing all the work ourselves and being willing to wait a while to find the right things at a good price and use good but not end materials.

Jane Lastname thanked Quentin Parker
  • dsimber
    3 years ago

To keep costs to a minimum, I would leave your sink where it is and use the white appliances that you have. Not sure which of the suggested floor plans would work best for you, but I noticed at least one does not allow for traffic flow when door of DW (or oven) is open. What do you think of the suggestions made by partim a couple of days ago? This plan... although I’m not sure about the purpose of the chair.

I’m including abbreviated notes from partim's list:

• Close the opening in the wall (for fridge, cabinets.)
    • Use space between the sink and the stove for main prep area. (Store pots/pans, and the food items that you use for cooking. Get a good pull out system like rev-a-shelf in the corner to be sure that space is fully used. Or a good lazy susan. They're not inexpensive but worth it.)
    • Install DW to the left of sink to avoid conflict with the food prep area. Store your dishware and glasses here.
    • Install microwave/fan above stove.

Flo’s idea of "tiny house” approach is interesting, but I would first compare cost of having to buy new appliances, then, if cost is not prohibitive, check with realtors about resale before proceeding.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Having moved multiple times, and with varying budgets, I have looked at soooo many homes for sale. I actually remember exactly the way certain kitchens, though small and inexpensive, were tastefully finished. Clean lines in cabinets and window treatments. European/Danish simplicity. Attention to details, i.e., quality work. Due to small space, no clutter, so no open shelves. No pot rack, either (although I like them in large kitchens.) These kitchens were impressive because they were just refreshingly “clean” in every sense. A few touches of color with a teapot and such that are repeated in other rooms made them so fresh and inviting. (You can stage your home before putting on market so that all rooms are similarly simplified, and that can make a great impression. A short-term storage unit makes that easy.) Did I say clean and simple? I apparently need to expand my vocabulary. 🥴 Trying to be clear about why these stood out. Eager to see what appeals to you.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Jane, I’ve found that people can do amazing things with a small amount of money. Houzzers will share creative ideas. Your feedback clarifying which ideas you like will guide posters’ responses. It is a process, and lots of good people here will hang in there with you. You have the willingness and skills to do the work, as well as patience and diligence to find good deals, so you will succeed!

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area?

• Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

Dsimber! There you are, you just said magical words of wisdom :) You are so right! I can be first to agree with you, lol

• Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

I may have mossed it, but what is in here? Behind this door?

• Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

Sorry typo, missed not mossed

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Hi Alice!

• Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

We need storage here to just see what’s what if all OP items are staying, just maybe a start?

• Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

Sometimes i wish i could physically just lend a hand :), seems as though this would be overwhelming to just get started? Been here myself!

Jane Lastname thanked Alice Edwards
  • bluemarble
    3 years ago

Great advice from Lyndee Lee..."Even if you keep your current fridge, leave enough space for a larger fridge at a later time." A future homeowner will thank you for this.

Lyndee, also great idea to add storage on the dining room side of the pass-through wall if it is closed up.

Agree with those recommending an undermount single basin sink. We had a deeper and smaller sink installed, and it gave us several more inches of counter space while giving us a larger overall basin to wash dishes and fill large pots.

Alice, I feel the same sometimes about wishing to be able to physically help.

Jane Lastname thanked bluemarble
  • Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

Yes, bluemarble, back in the day, a few listings i had acquired when i still had my license in Dallas/Rockwall area i had gone in and assisted major re-org and clean up in home and yard and what have you, that the sellers then didn’t want to sell and backed out! Bitter sweet!

• Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

One home was a major sale and i went “crying” to my broker, she said “i’ll give you 15 minutes to get over it and then you move on to the next” lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Sorry, I have been MIA. NO INTERNET. Finally got Tech out and we had to have new cable laid. Took a while to “reset” everything too. But here I am. Jane, you have a lot of great advice here. I am sure especially with a toddler, you are overwhelmed. My suggestion is to remove everything from the kitchen except main appliances. As you do this, create 3-4 boxes and label MUST KEEP, DONATE, TRASH. Evaluate each item. It will be huge help. Then get rid of trash and give stuff in donate box to charity. You will be amazed how good this can make you feel. Then, decide what major changes are most cost effective. I wouldn’t tear out anything more until you have a good layout and plan. Watch conflicting doors of every element. I have had MDF base cabinets and they are very strong unless you get wet. So watch that. Since I get loads of sample tiles and stone, I use these for bottoms of cabinets to protect from leaky soap bottles, etc. I haven’t used IKEA kitchen products but others here like them. I just can’t stand how they direct and delay you. Just takes forever to walk the store, find sales rep etc etc. so I would suggest checking with Lowe’s kitchen people. My daughter redid her whole awful kitchen with Lowe’s midrange cabinets and used numerous coupons to reduce cost and did a great job. Her kitchen is about same size as yours with similar openings. It just takes careful measurements and attention to minute details. You can do this.

Jane Lastname thanked Flo Mangan
  • mainenell
    3 years ago

Other products you can use to protect sink base cabinets. Sheet vinyl. Sheet laminate (Formica). Spray paint bottom with Flex Seal.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Jane, in case you need encouragement, please start with Flo’s suggestions to minimize and organize. A job like this is overwhelming for some of us. Working with a friend who is well-organized helped me get it done. She kept me on track. With two of us working, it was so much easier to see the progress, and that felt so good! I can’t stress this strongly enough. You will feel so much better and will be able to see just how much storage you really need in your small space.

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

Your kitchen looks almost exactly like mine. I’m so thankful that someone didn’t rip out my 1950’s kitchen . These kitchens have so much potential...they’ve been here for 70 years already. I think you should embrace what you have (in terms of style). Retro Renovation has a lot of info and inspiration for kitchens of this era.

Jane Lastname thanked Gargamel
  • Jane Lastname
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input!

Right now we are thinking that it makes the most sense to leave the appliances in their current positions to keep costs as minimal as possible. We walked through all of your ideas and realized that it simply made the most sense for us to keep fridge and stove and have them in their same spots in the kitchen (the range may shift slightly but still centered on the east wall). That means:

-a dishwasher to the right of the sink with a small blind corner cabinet

-uppers and lowers around the stove,

-microwave over the stove

-adding some cabinets with counter below the look through (which we are just going to keep).

-some sort of shelf or counter above the radiator

We do have a sizeable dining room closet that we have been thinking about using as a pantry, and we are very interested in re-training ourselves to use the front door as our main entrance.

I am attaching a photo that shows more of the west wall. I'm thinking even if we use the front door as our main entrance, I would still like some sort of counter or shelf over the radiator, but I can't envision how that would match up with a counter along the south (look-through) wall.

*Does anyone have any idea what would look best in terms of height and width and depth for a shelf above the radiator?*

I'm wondering if instead of having counters wrap around the corner where the look-through wall meets the radiator wall, the counters should stop at the cabinets they rest on, then there should be a simple long wooden shelf bracketed to the west wall under the window but slightly higher than counter height? Or would it look best to have all matching counters, even if there is a break in the corner? I know it can work but I can't quite see how and I know we need to just decide on what our design is going to be and then go with it and get this thing DONE!!!

As for the advice to de-cluttering, I hear you all loud and clear. We've done full purges and reorganizations of the kitchen many times and it just kind of creeps back, especially since I'm not always able to lug kitchen items up and down the basement stairs over and over for storage. I really think it boils down to a basic storage issue.

@dsimber I really like what you said about clean and simple- that's exactly what we're going for.

Thanks so much for your support everyone!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I thought I saw a smaller table in the dining room. You might be able to set that over the radiator? Or find a junky table and cut it so you have just 2 legs and about 12” of table top. Then paint to work with new look in kitchen. Just painting your kitchen white would be big help. You just need shelf brackets to attach partial 2 leg table to the wall above radiator. I will try to find pictures. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Kinda like these

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Good plan for keeping to the budget. A couple comments:

1- The dishwasher may have to go next to the stove (not on the sink wall) because its door has to open all the way- 26 inches or more is typical. Check the opening measurements on the dishwasher you choose and allow a bit extra for how it fits under the counter. Of course before you finalize your cabinet plan, you could try scooting the stove over a few inches to see if you can get a dishwasher to open on the sink wall with enough clearance.

2- To retrain yourselves to go in the front door, use concrete parking stops or plain trash cans to make it impossible to drive all the way up to the kitchen door. It's the kind of structure discipline designed to control crowd movement in amusement parks.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

That Retro Renovation kitchen site has a lot of good images. I had to open this one when I saw the $645 cost! It has some cost-saving tips that might help.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/kitchens/21018606/the-645-kitchen-remodel

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Very cool remodel dsimber.

• Jane Lastname
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really like the idea of the skinny hall table @Flo Mangan to fit over the radiator, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

I really like the Retro Renovation site @dsimber and that kitchen looks great!

So is the consensus that a shelf or table over the radiator would be preferable to a counter?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

You don't want a lot over the radiator. So keep that simple. Plus, you need space to move around in this room. Best of luck. You have some great ideas here, so keep us posted.

Jane Lastname thanked Flo Mangan
  • dsimber
    3 years ago

Credit for Retro Remodel site goes to Gargamel. I think an interesting [old] table over the radiator could be really cool. I also like this other idea of Flo’s:

Also, I just have to say it. You need to maximize your storage space. You could consider making an entire wall of storage, basically floor to ceiling, on the wall opposite your sink. To be most economical, you might even use sliding doors with shelves inside for pantry. One end could even be your broom closet. I had this “closet-style” pantry when I had my first-born child, years ago. No more trips to basement! I don’t think it would take much to close up the wall. You could use a mirror on the dining room side if you want to keep that open (or expanded) feel. What do you think?

• Jane Lastname
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dsimber Part of the reason we want to keep the look-through is for visibility into the dining room!

• dsimber
    3 years ago

That makes sense!

• dsimber
    3 years ago

You may be wanting to avoid any sheetrock work, but I will share that our fourth wall in one kitchen was a half wall topped by counter (our friends still called it a “pass-through”!) It looked really nice and gave the feel of open plan without sacrificing the storage below. We put bar stools on the other side, and it was a great place for our son and friends. Kept guests feeling part of the kitchen without them getting in the way. (Ours was bi-level, which I liked, but it would not have to be.) Wish I had a photo to share. No worries if this does not appeal to you. Just trying to share possibilities that may work for you and help sell in a few years. 🙃

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Oh! Here’s a photo that was very similar to ours. Hope this helps you to see it as a possibility!