SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aka_catherinet

Geothermal closed loop replacement......question about desuperheater..

Hi. We've had our geothermal HVAC system (closed loop) for about 26 years. It's a Water Furnace 3 and 1/2 ton unit, with desuperheater. We're replacing it with another 3 and 1/2 ton because we don't have enough loop for a 4 ton. We wanted the 4 ton because it has 2 stage functions, whereas the newer 3 and 1/2 ton is more efficient, but doesn't have the 2 stage ability (which is good to have).We would have to dig up for more loop for the 4 ton, and we didn't want to do that. So..........on to my question: The HVAC guy told us that we didn't need the desuperheater if our kids weren't living here anymore. We do do a lot of wash, dish washing, etc. We have to order the desuperheater when we order the new unit, 'cause it's made with it. It would cost about $1,200 more to have that. The new unit is VERY expensive, and I don't want to not get the desuperheater, and then regret it. So........anyone out there familiar with this kind of situation? I know it's best to have 2 water tanks with a desuperheater, but we would only have the 1. Any advice? Thanks!

Comments (19)