SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ali_watkinson

Columnar Hornbeam Ailing

ali_watkinson
last year

I had eight columnar hornbeam (2 1/2 inch) planted to form an allee four years ago. In the winter of 2020/2021 one of them suffered frost damage to the trunk bark and has gradually been losing the bark. I was advised to leave the wood exposed, so I did. It is now noticeably smaller than the others and the leaves have started browning. I am in Powell, Ohio and up until two weeks ago we had had regular rainfall this spring/summer. The last two weeks have been dry and hot. I have been giving that tree some extra water over the last couple of weeks to compensate for the lost bark, but not a huge amount. Should I water more? Feed? What can I do? Is it done for?

I am perhaps imagining it, but I feel like it has actually always been ‘different’ - flowering and leafing out on a different schedule to the others and having leaves that are smaller, at least in some places. I just noticed that the trunk is oddly bisected, too.

Is the frost damage the whole issue or was it perhaps a poor (runt?!) tree from the start?

Comments (6)