SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_666868598

NEED ANSWERS ASAP RE. STAIR STRIPPING, SANDING AND STAINING

D Macky
last year

Settled on new home construction last year and have had multiple issues with finishing touches. the stair treads were stained poorly with uneven stain and light and dark spots on every tread.

The company returned to repair and they applied a stripping agents (citra somethingj covered with saran wrap. yesterday and today they scraped the stain off. I noticed that there’s still stain left, pictures below. Shouldn’t all of this stain be removed so the new stain and poly will adhere? I noticed they did not use any kind of a sander, but simply removed the stain and then used sandpaper. They are returning tomorrow to apply the stain but I need to know should I expect and ask them to remove that excess stain. I want this done correctly, of course.

So tomorrow the plan is to stain, allow to dry, then apply the poly and then sand. I thought they should be sanding after the stain since the wood grain will rise? Is it best to sand stain lightly, then apply the poly. Looking for advice ASAP. Thank you very much.

The pictures depict a darker tread stain that looks like stain but It is bare wood except for the lines of leftover stain in the grain.

Comments (14)