SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

What should I do? I found a big surprise!

I have a 6 foot x 8 foot wooden shed. I bought a Promix 2 cubic foot compressed bag of soil Told my husband to help move it into the shed as the outdoor critters seem to always put holes in the plastic bags left outside to check them out. I cut the top of this compressed bag of soil so that I could take some of the potting mix out about a week ago.

So a couple of days ago I took my large scooper and started to scoop out some of the potting mix. What a big surprise I had! A mouse jumped out of the bag and ran away and on top lay a helpless furless tiny baby mouse. (I assume when the mother mouse jumped out of the nest to run away, it dislodged the baby and it bounced on top of the media bag. I didn't know what to do, so I just left the baby there (it can't walk yet) and came back later to find the baby was not there anymore.

So now what? Don't tell me to drown them all or poison them. I'm not into that. I also don't know how many mice are actually in my bag! (Scared to look and scared to have the mother jump out.) Are they all alive? How is the mother surviving when the shed is open only during the day? (My husband says there are no holes in the shed for the mouse to go in or out.) I've been in the shed looking for things, but only when the bag was disturbed did the mouse jump out.

What would you do? I want to repot some of my hosta and use that soil! But I could buy another smaller bag of potting mix for use for now. Maybe in a couple of weeks when the babies are bigger, I could move the bag with the mice outside so they can leave my potting mix? A dilemma I didn't think I would have!

Comments (15)