SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_pilon

1970s home, removing wallpaper - what are these walls?

Laura
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

I'm slowly starting to surface from the horrendous task that was removing old wallpaper in a bedroom in my 1970s house (Ontario, Canada). I just have questions about why the walls are different from one another, partly for curiosity's sake and partly so I know how to properly finish them (I'm very much a reno newbie).

Two walls were awful to remove wallpaper from and the drywall was very damaged, so I got someone to come in and skimcoat both those walls. The third and fourth wall were incredibly easy to remove the paper from (absolutely 0 damage?), but whilst the third is a nice smooth white wall, the fourth is a pink-ish colour (though you can see white paint on one side).... assuming the white wall used to be pink but was painted? For whatever reason? Confused as to why one would even do that as it was all covered in wallpaper.

I thought my action plan was now to prime the whole room (still unsure about the whole latex vs oil-based primer debacle—I'm seeing latex is better for drywall, i.e., skim coat, but will soften any remaining paste, so..), then paint (BM Regal Select) but the fact that all the walls feel like different textures is holding me back from deciding on the primer. Don't want to mess up.

Any insight appreciated! Thanks.

1st photo - damaged wall, now skim coated (not pictured). There was also a childish drawing previously carved in with an exacto knife in this wall, if you can see that...

2nd photo - white wall (the Hi not written by me...)

3rd photo - pink wall with white paint in the corners

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!