SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Speaking of snitches ...

Lars
last year

There was a car parked right in front on my house in Cathedral City that has not been moved for over a week. In fact, it was possibly parked there a month ago when I left to go back to L.A. for three or four weeks. Anyway, the law in CC is that cars cannot be parked without being moved for more than 72 hours, which seems like a short time for me, since I often leave my car in L.A. parked in front of my house for much longer than that.

When I found out from NextDoor about the 72 hour limit, I decided to report the car to the police, and I went out to take photos of it. It was a somewhat old BMW, but one of the side windows was repaired with black tape and other parts had been repaired with the same back tape. All of the windows were tinted black, so that no one could see in, and the windshield had a sunscreen.

In addition to this, when I went to photograph the back of the car, I noticed that the license plate had expired March 2022, and so I took a closeup photo of that.

I sent the photos to the Cathedral City police department at about 11 AM Saturday (yesterday) describing the car, and when I went to go grocery shopping a couple of hours later, there was already a brown note attached to the car's windshield.

When I got back from grocery shopping 45 minutes (or so) later, the car was gone.

I don't know whether it was towed or whether the owner saw the brown note and moved it, but I am glad it is gone. I think it is bad to have an abandoned car parked in front of one's house - it makes it look like no one is home, I think.

However, I did feel a bit bad about reporting this. What if this car belonged to a neighbor? I tend to think that it did not, but it may have belonged to a friend of a neighbor. Still, if they have an expired license plate and it is on the street, the police have the right to tow it.

What do you think happened? What would you have done?

I don't care if someone parks in front of my house - it usually makes it look like someone is home. But if a car is not moved for more than a week, then it makes it look like something very different.

Comments (60)