SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missa_uhlman

Need help with living room layout!

Missa Uhlman
last year
last modified: last year

We have a large (17x25) rectangular great room and I'm trying to figure out the furniture layout. See photos. On the left, there are stairs that go the entire width of the room and then wrap around to a portion of the adjacent wall. The front door is also beyond those stairs to the left. Next to that, there is a not-quite-centered-on-the-wall see-through fireplace that is set 25" off the floor, followed by a set of built-in bookshelves with a seating area for a reading nook. On the far wall (right), there are large windows, and then coming around to the wall at the bottom of the picture, there is a smaller (probably 3ft wide) window and then an expanse of wall that needs to house our TV somewhere on it. I am trying to decide if we should do two couches back-to-back to create two separate seating areas, one L-shaped couch that is situated farther over to the right to sort of move the seating area to the actual center of the room but away from the fireplace, or just put in a big U-shaped modular sofa and call it a day. Or something else entirely??

Some thoughts and questions I've got swirling around...

- I love the idea of a daybed chaise in front of the fireplace. I have found one that is the exact length of the fireplace and will sit well below it so that people can sit comfortably and enjoy the fire, so I'm pretty sure I'd like to keep that.

- Should I have chairs toward the stairs so that you're not walking "into" the back of a couch?

- I'm concerned that putting two couches back-to-back will mean that the one facing the windows pretty much never gets used.

- Is it important, visually, for the TV to be directly across from the fireplace to balance it out? Does it make a difference?

Comments (9)