SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

How frequently do you experience people being inconsiderate?

Elmer J Fudd
last year
last modified: last year

Are such encounters more likely to make you feel angry or instead disappointed? Or are other emotions triggered?

Do they most often involve people you know, or people you don't know?

Comments (26)

• Uptown Gal
    last year

Actually, in the last several weeks, I have noticed the opposite. Not sure if it is due to "we

are all in this together" thinking about Covid, or what. I have met, come across some very

considerate and kind people. That makes me stop and try to be more kind and helpful, too.

Noticed this from strangers as well as people I already know. A number of these people have been younger....HS through College, and they are usually more considerate anyway. But, also

come across adults I have never met and they seem much more friendly and kind lately. As a lot

of these people are connected to education in some way, I thought it is because Summer

Break is so close. ;)

On the other hand, I have dealt with a few medical workers, and they have not been as

kind as usual. Not really unkind...just don't seem to care one way or the other about

being friendly. Not sure what that is all about.

Sorry this is so long...just not sure how to express what I am seeing completely.

Have you had some bad experiences in this lately?

• Bookwoman
    last year

Very rarely. When it does happen, pretty much always with someone I don't know, I tend to shrug it off.

• Related Discussions

Do you ever frequent a place with awful service?

Q

Comments (19)
    I confess, I will wait in a longer line at the store to check out with a checker who actually looks at me instead of gabbing with the checker in the next lane. And especially I avoid the ones who throw my food or squash my produce/ bread. The best service is from the manager or assistant manager. I always try to say hi when I see them and tell them how great the store looks. You should see their faces - like an instant stress relief. One time I was in a market dressed in a pressed white shirt and black trousers. Somebody came up and started complaining loudly to me about really petty small things. Then I said I didn't work there and gave some positive comments about the store. Turns out this person just was having a bad day and wanted to vent. I worked retail for years....people know they can be horrible to you and you can't do anything about it. A kind person to wait on makes your whole day.
    ...See More

Miz M or anyone who sells on CL frequently, how do you

Q

Comments (34)
    Spammers send out hundreds of messages a day asking "do you still have the item"? Those who answer get the follow up email where the scammers want to buy it sight unseen and will send a (fake) cashier's check that is over the sale amount so that you can send the extra money to their "courier" who will come and pick up the item. The idea is that you will cash the fake check, write a real check to the courier from your account, and wait for the "courier" to come pick up the item. By the time the bank clearinghouse rejects the original fake check, you are out the money you sent the courier. (And if they are local, the courier may come pick up the money and the item -- then you are out both things -- but most are based in foreign countries so the courier never comes.) Anyhow, if you want to ask if something is still available, be sure to mention what it is. "Hi, I was wondering if this piano was still available - if so, I would like to come see it. What works for you?" is clearly tailored to your specific ad while "Do you still have this item?" is a generic response sent to hundreds of people at once.
    ...See More

What do you think about people and dog all being sick?

Q

Comments (34)
    I wanted to give an update. Since this all happened, 2 weeks ago. I've been very strict with her and watching her like a hawk at the dog park. I gave her back the raw hides and she experienced no ill effects from that, that was a week ago. Then, just yesterday I decided it had been long enough to try giving her ONE of those Old Mother Hubbard treats, they are very small...like a puppy sized biscuit. Today she has diarrhea again! I think I found the culprit! Hopefully just the one tiny treat will just work its way through her system and she will be OK. I knew that I had just opened a brand new bag of these right before she got sick, she has been eating this same brand and variety for a couple years now. It was one of the only things she could eat without issues and she LOVED them. I don't know if they changed the recipe and added something that makes her bowels upset or if they are contaminated? I just contacted the company to explain what happened. I'll let you know how they handle this.
    ...See More

Measles - Do People Not Realize How Bad This Can Be?

Q

Comments (45)
    Thanks - yes, what we are missing in energy we make up for in stability so I think it will be fine! I'm a little nervous about the increased risks but the odds are still in our favor and they test the embryos now. Colleen, I've heard that is pretty common! It happened to my aunt and uncle. They tried for 10 years, did quite a few unsuccessful ivf rounds and were trying one last one before adopting. That worked for a baby boy and 2 years later they had a girl naturally. I think the body has an easier time getting pregnant after the first time in many cases. I hear so many stories of taking a year or more to get the first but the second was a one try kind of deal.
    ...See More
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

On the whole, no, people seem quite considerate. When I do encounter inconsiderate people, they tend to be unaware of how their actions could be annoying, so I don't pay much heed to them since it's unintentional.

I have a relative who is truly unaware anyone outside of herself and her husband exist. They are stunningly inconsiderate people, running roughshod over everyone around them. Since my mother died I no longer deal with these people, it was her sister and her husband. They floored me and amused me to no end. If I had any talent as a writer, they would have provided me with material enough for quite a book.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

On the road, unkind people just plain scare me.

In person, I find it curious. Why are they so rude?

I would think an unkind medical worker these days, is because they've been overworked. And encountered so many obstacles to their end goal.

• lucillle
    last year

I find many people here go out of their way to be considerate. When I go to a store and am using my walker, I have people open doors for me. When I go for a walk with or without the walker, passersby often nod or smile. My son has grown into a wonderful considerate man, I'm so happy to see that.

People on the internet /social media are a mixed bag, most are kind and supportive but a few seem to live to disagree and pick fights with anyone they interact with that does not completely agree with them, rather than being considerate and allowing people their say and their point of view. I see some of this on local fb groups and it is quite discouraging.

For some reason the formula shortage seems to be a polarizing issue, with some women offering whatever they have that they can spare for free, but others seeming to want to blame the poor moms for not nursing, for hoarding, for not being able to buy more than a little at a time.

• lisaam
    last year

I find people to be far more considerate in face to face interaction than when distanced by cars or in print. Drivers are much less considerate than they would be if standing in line next to others.

On this forum I’m stunned by someone who seems to make only negative comments—that must affect one’s mood.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Drivers, that is one hec of a problem in my area. Inconsiderate would not be my word, dangerous, reckless, terrifying driving by people clearly distracted.

• amylou321
    last year

Strangers are almost always considerate. When I do run into a discourteous person how I react depends on the level of rudeness and how it inconvenienced me. I usually just think "trash" and go on about my business. IF they are VERY VERY rude and are insistent on talking to me in order to annoy me, like the infamous Walmart Fruit Fly a few years ago, I will do my best to let them know how trashy they are, then move on with my life.

I deal with inconsiderate people in my work life a lot. My direct coworkers and my boss are fairly selfish, whiny people with entitlement problem with different degrees of severity. When I point it out, they get huffy. I typically try to work my shifts and leave but their actions often cause me consequences that are annoying. In these cases, I tend to react the same way. That is think "trash" and handle it.

I am actually dealing with a dilemma regarding one of these coworkers now, which I will post about for advice in a different thread, so as not to hijack this one.

• Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

For me, such encounters often happen when driving. People whose apparent selfishness or lack of common sense puts others at risk. Rudeness and inconsiderate outbursts in public remind me of the adage, whether true or not, that it takes more muscles to frown than to smile.

• bpath
    last year

I encounter inconsiderate behavior occasionally. I attend a weekly activity where other participants pay no attntion to their ”space”, as in the block doorways and hallways regardless of who may be wanting to pass; when something needs setting up, they don’t, or they set up what they need and nothing for anyone else; and so on. And these same participants are incredible in service to the less-privileged, work the food pantry, collect and provide services and goods for them.

The inconsiderate behavior I see more often rgards leaving shopping carts where they can be in others’ way. I get if you are shopping with a small child, elderly adult, etc. Otherwise, put your cart where it belongs.

• joyfulguy
    last year

Rather seldom, but living in a rural area, having had an accident nearly a year ago that changed my car to scrap, I've got out only infrequently, having had access to my son's van occasionally for a few months, and now it needs too many repairs to fix it.

When I do get out, valuing human contact, I am friendly to the people that I meet, and find that friendly approaches to strangers usually is positively received. Those who do not wish to proceed usually are congenial. I think that my often trying to find some humour in a situation helps.

About a dozen old guys get together at the village church for Coffee, Cookies and Coversation on Thursday mornings, in person recently rather than digitally.

I have better possibility of getting a ride at a somewhat busy corner about a kilometre (2/3 mi) up the road, and was a bit late going there a couple of weeks ago, met a neighbour lady out for her walk, she drove me the 10 km. or so to the church.

There's a guy there (of usually about a dozen) who lives in the city and has sometimes let me ride with him homebound, sometimes taking me to other locations. That day he was taking his wife shopping for a frig. and I wanted to go that way so they took me with them.

After a short walk along the village to city route, I turned a corner by the Mercedes dealer, was hitchhiking along a substantial city street when someone called me. A woman sitting in her car in a driveway about a hundred feet ahead of me said she'd give me a ride, took me to a grocery about a mile up that street.

Got some groceries, was nearly late for bus from a nearby mall back to the village, maybe could have caught a bus on nearby busy city street., but how long dare one wait at the bus stop? Walked about a kilometer (about 6/10 of a mile).

Caught the next bus to the village, was walking down narrow curbed street away from traffic lights, when a woman called me. She'd driven by me, recognized me from behind and pulled into a driveway. She lives next door, beside several indigenous operated tobacco shops. We haven't been majorly friendly but she remembered me taking her veggies in earlier tears(Years!).

Four rides: one a guy, and three by females, one a friend, the second with whom I'd had some non-recent connections, and one a perfect stranger - and in the city.

Wow!

ole joyful

• dees_1
    last year

there have a!ways been, and there will always be, inconsiderate people. if I encounter one in person, I just work around them. Sure....go first.....you must be a VIP. It's not worth getting myself upset about someone else's behavior. if I see someone being rude to someone else, I will try to make light of the situation to detract from the negativity. Just be nice.

I like to say it takes THIS much effort to be nice. It takes a while lot more effort to be an arse.

• Kathsgrdn
    last year

None lately, but have been on vacation this past week. While working, I get at least one hateful person a shift. Sometimes they come in bunches and then it ruins your shift until you get a really sweet human who makes a comment about how thankful you're there answering the phone late at night or on a holiday. Or they are just nice or crack a joke. That part is what i miss about face-to-face interaction with patients. The mean, angry ones, not so much.

• amylou321
    last year

Reminds me of my first job, katsgrdn. I worked at a Subway and could simply not believe that I could never make it through a shift without at least one outrageously rude person coming in. I used to think that it was because hungry people were just moody. But now I understand that as adults,one should be able to control oneself and ones actions. That just makes the behavior worse. I was cussed out over pickles my very first day. Not a standard angry cuss out. I was called the filthiest names I had heard up to that point in my life because she had asked me to cut her pickles into quarters, which I did, but she spotted 2 pickle pieces that had not been completely cut through and were still connected and went OFF. I do not think there is any excuse for such behavior. Hunger, illness, tragedy, or just a bad day. Grow up and stop taking it out on other people.....

• lily316
    last year

I find that people in person seem mostly to be kind and considerate. But behind the wheel, they turn into demons!

• joyfulguy
    last year

she'd ... I wonder what would happen if, when people said something rather outrageous to us, like the woman in the Subway outrageously unhappy about a pickle not being cut to her taste, if one looked thoughtful for a few seconds, then quietly and with lthoughtful demeanor, said something like "So you think that in this situation and my responsibility for it .... then quote what she'd said .... describes it well".

Then with a humorous short snort and putting a smile on one's face, say, rather light-heartedly, that maybe it'd be a good idea to run that one by one's manager to try it on for size, or something rather light-heartedly dismissive without being nasty.

I've been frustrated in this and ... a few words or ... my earlier story having my ... and put around ... cursor jump around and put a few words or a sentence or two in a distant location until I caught it.

Well, wonder of wonders,

it seems now to be behaving itself!

ole joyful

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I don’t equate being inconsiderate with being rude or hateful. I seldom meet rudeness but often encounter a lack of consideration. People walking towards one three abreast so you have to step into the road, people blocking paths while they pause for a chat, people with dogs on long leads that form a barrier across a path. These things are not rude but they are inconsiderate. It’s not deliberate, it’s just a lack of consideration as to how one’s actions might affect other people.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I'm curious what triggered this conversation. Especially this: "inconsiderate outbursts in public".

I can't remember the last time I heard a public outburst other than a toddler throwing a tantrum to which my reaction is complete sympathy for the parent dealing with it.

• Elizabeth
    last year

In person I very very rarely encounter inconsiderate behavior. Now and then while driving but I don't let it bother me as my first concern is safety. Inconsiderate people online? Much more common. The anonominity emboldens the buliies.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

If by 'inconsiderate' one means those who seem to inhabit a world where only they matter, their time is of more importance than anyone else's and they wander around oblivious to what others may be needing or doing, yes, I see it all the time. People walking down the sidewalk that stop abruptly to mess with their phones causing pedestrian pile ups behind them; grocery store shoppers that leave their carts in the middle of the aisleway, blocking traffic. And then getting defensive when politely asked to move to one side. Cyclists that claim the road as their own, blissfully pedaling casually down the middle of the road with a line up of cars behind them. Even the dog walkers move off to the side to allow cars to pass - cyclists are apparently more entitled and never budge yet shout out angrily at drivers who try to pass them when possible. And those who seem to think the wait line-up for ferry traffic does not apply to them and squeeze in ahead of those who have been patiently waiting.

• marilyn_c
    last year

Very, very seldom. As for driving, a lot of people drive faster than me, so I try to stay out of their way, but even in driving, if you are trying to turn into a lane of heavy traffic, someone will always stop and motion you in. I do the same for others. People hold doors for you ...I do the same.

When I buy groceries and I am loading them into my car, the packs of bottled water are heavy....most have 32 bottles of 16.5 ounces, and I can pick them up, but my hands are weak, and I don't look forward to it. But if anyone sees me, they always offer to help, whether man or woman.

When I was in Sam's last week, an elderly woman, was struggling to put a large box into her mobilized cart. I think it was detergent, and I picked it up for her. I will always offer to help someone. Sometimes when I need help in the store, reaching something off a top shelf....I will look around for the first person I see taller than myself and ask them to reach it for me. I don't mind asking and I have never had a person that seemed to mind.

All in all, people are very courteous here.

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

I work retail, specifically in a drugstore. How often do I see it? Might have to ask me how often I do not see it.

• Jasdip
    last year

I really can't remember anything to me personally, but I read often of Uber Eats, Save the Dishes, etc drivers just dumping food orders on the sidewalk in front of the house, and more often in apartment lobbies, and not even calling the recipients to tell them their food is there. People post pics of the bags of fast-food orders just sitting there.

Yesterday we had a huge storm blow thru.....fast and furious. Trees fallen on power lines, onto cars, cart corrals fallen on top of cars in mall parking lots etc etc.

I was talking to a girl walking her pup in the neighbourhood this morning. She was called in to work yesterday.....she works for our city hydro company to help field the calls.

I can't believe people call to complain about the hydro being out. It is what it is.....it will get turned on when the workers are able to fix all the issues and clear up the debris.

One particular fellow was severely pssd because he can't watch they hockey game and wondered when the hydro would be restored.

She calmly told him that the caller before him called to say that he's on oxygen and has no hydro. She informed the hockey fan that the calls are fixed in order of importance and someone on oxygen takes precedence over a hockey game. In the meantime, he will go to the hospital to receive his oxygen.

• nickel_kg
    last year

Interesting question. Other than oblivious drivers, I don't notice inconsiderate behavior very often. Mostly I shrug and move on, giving them the benefit of a doubt that they were not deliberately out to hurt me, just lost in their own little world, whatever. But people who don't share the sidewalk bug me; for them I stand tall look'em in the eye and raise my voice "EXCUSE ME".

Kudos to everyone who works with the public and can keep a smile on their face. My patience would wear thin very quickly.

• Kathsgrdn
    last year

Okay, I see the difference between inconsiderate and being rude, I guess I clumped them together when I answered. A couple days ago I went to an appointment, on my way home I stopped to get a drink. When I was in a line of cars waiting to pull onto the main road, there was a woman in front of me, not paying attention, sitting there with at least one car length to move up in front of her. While another woman sat waiting to turn into our line. I looked at her and shook my head and might have done with hand/arm gestures that says "what are they doing?! at the woman in front of me. Just before the light turned green, the woman in front of me noticed she was blocking the other woman and pulled up. I waited for the woman on the side to go in front of me. She waved at me as she pulled out.

Most people here will let you in. They will also slow down to let you change lanes, but every once in a while you get a butthead who actually speeds up so you can't.

A week or so ago I was in Wal-mart, I think. I was pushing a cart and not paying enough attention, trying to find something. They have recently rearranged their whole store. I don't know why but it's chaotic now. I walked with my big cart right in front of a woman, crossing an isle. I appologised immediately and she just smiled back at me. I don't know anyone who is perfect so we all probably do things from time-to-time.

• Seniorgal
    last year

My husband was in a wheelchair for some time. He liked to get out sometimes. I found it awkward trying to get him in and out of a restaurant. One day I was confronted with double doors with no handles. As I pondered my situation, up came two young boys who looked like ragamuffins. They politely held the doors for me. Moral--don't judge by appearances.