SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Patio Table .. will I regret 42" or 48"?

Funkyart
last year

As I prepare to change the furniture and decor on my patio, I am looking at a medium to small dining table. Most often, I will have 1 other person-- and at most 3 guests.. (For the rare events I have many more guests, I have long, narrow dining tables I pull out). So my goal is to purchase an everyday table for 1-4. The one I like (below) will be black wrought iron.. I know it is a simple design but that's what i think will work best with my existing wrought iron dining chairs and the cuddle lounge chairs (that won't arrive until NEXT spring). I don't like the more ubiquitous mesh top tables. This is a solid top table but it comes in only 36", 42" and 48".

From everything I am seeing, 42" and 48" should both comfortably seat 4. Is that your experience? I am considering the 42" since I will be repurposing a serving table/shelf that I could use for serving dishes, drinks or whatever. I am hoping the smaller size will have a cafe table feel-- but not be uncomfortable. Do you think I am going to small?

Note: There is a shipping delay for this item also-- though not as delayed as my lounge chairs. I should have the table in Oct.

Comments (47)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

For comparison-- in design, not size (they are both the same size), these are two offerings from the companies who make the cuddle lounge chairs.

The Meadowcraft table is slightly less expensive than the one i am considering. It is also wrought iron but has the mesh top-- and I don't like the design of the table as much.

And the Ballard Amalfi which has an interesting design for sure but it is cast aluminum and everything else, dining chairs included, are cast iron. This is also a few hundred more than the one i am considering.

Alternatively, I already own this table-- it isn't intended for outdoors but i could seal it since the patio is covered. I'd only need to seal it from the humidity. I am not sure the style goes-- but the price of "I already own it" works!

• nicole___
    last year

MY upholstery projects · More Info

I know you don't want this style...but for size comparison I chose a 47".

Funkyart thanked nicole___
  • Related Discussions

42' vs 48' KitchenAid SxS

Q

Comments (5)
    We bought the 48" Jenn-air about 5 years ago. In fact I designed the whole kitchen around that fridge. We were tired of stuff always being crammed into our old, but fairly large GE, and when some eggs fell out of it and "decorated" the floor, that was when we decided to remodel the kitchen. At first I was considering the 42" but after looking at both we went with the 48" built in and have never regretted it. Plenty of both freezer and fridge space. Any Yes, there are just 2 of us. Gary
    ...See More

Fridge question....Will I regret

Q

Comments (17)
    I may have the only built-in in my neighborhood and wondered if we were over doing it. I went to 48" and then changed models after the cabinets were ordered. Like you, e expect t be here for a long time. I love my fridge and don't regret it at all, but I didn't give up anything to get it. My home is a custom home and in a neighborhood where I think built-ins will be seen more as homes go through more updating. In some of the other neighborhoods nearby, even in the same price range, I suspect that they might never have the same plus value as I suspect. But I bought the fridge for me and what I would enjoy using, and I do. Some of what I like is the shallower shelves and lack of lost science projects in the back. That would be similar in a counter depth. The full extension drawers that open with the doors at 90 degrees might be different. As far as the look -- some counter depths well fitted and trimmed out look better to me than some built-ins with metal trim around the panels and a grill on top. What looks good to you?
    ...See More

chandelier above 42' table

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Chris, I just purchased a Kichler chandelier to hang above my 48" round table. For the style I selected, I had a choice between two chandelier sizes: a 27" diameter chandelier with a height of 17" (excluding the rod from ceiling to base) or a 16" diameter chandelette with a height of 12" (also excluding rod). All this to say that you may want to look at some of Kichler's chandelettes (or small chandelier) for your niche.
    ...See More

Will I regret not making my island wider??

Q

Comments (5)
    Very interesting question for me, because I currently have a peninsula, that I would like to have as a length of the room island - probably not as long as yours, but it would have to be around the same width, and I would end up with aisles close to your size as well. My current island is 33 inches wide, if I recall correctly. I can honestly say that seems wide enough for anything I need to do there. Wider than any roasting pan or baking pan or chopping board, so prep is no problem. Plenty wide enough for people on one side to eat, with room left over. So, functionally, I think you're fine with an island that width, I guess aesthetics is the question and I can't really answer that. The distance from the end of my peninsula to the countertop opposite is 48". It's plenty of room for me to move around and if it were your 42", I think I'd still feel comfortable. HOWEVER, if I have a bunch of people standing around in my kitchen, that space feels a lot smaller and I think that's when you'd really feel the crunch of only having 42". In my case, if someone needs to squeeze by someone else, they're only hindered by the 30 inch end of my peninsula; I think with a 7 foot length it might get a little claustrophobic, feeling like there's no place to get out of the way if you need to open dishwashers or stove doors into that space, LOL. My guess is a lot depends on how many people will regularly be using your kitchen, opening and closing appliance doors, etc. For my husband (the non-cook) and myself, 42-48" wouldn't be a problem but if we were a larger, all-hands-on-deck family, it could get crowded. You don't say how wide the aisle is on the other side. Are both sides 42"? If not, I could see it working out much better.
    ...See More
  • czarinalex
    last year

I think it depends upon the size of your chairs. 4 oversize chairs will feel more comfortable around a 48" table. If your chairs are smaller in width, especially, then 42" might work.

Can you experiment with some cardboard?

Funkyart thanked czarinalex
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Nicole-- can 4 comfortably dine at your 47"?

CzarinAlex - yes, I do plan to make a cardboard disk for planning purposes but not sure it tells me how comfortable it will be. My chairs are on the larger size.

• nicole___
    last year

Funky....yes, 4. My chairs are so much smaller than what your ordering tho. I have a BIG table that seats 6 on the upper deck. I wouldn't go any smaller than 48"....

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

uh-- i don't intend to use the lounge chairs at the table. I have dining chairs for the dining table.

• nicole___
    last year

OH! I thought you were just purchasing 2 of the Athens chairs, ottoman & table. Link to Athens What other pieces are you buying? do tell

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I AM buying the athens cuddle lounge chairs-- but they are not dining chairs. I already own the wrought iron dining chairs. I don't have a great photo of them right now but they are black wrought iron and will coordinate with the Athens chairs just fine.

• nicole___
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh......cool! I didn't know of other pieces that you already owned....

If you look closely...my 47" table top is delineated into 4 sections. That's the space each diner has to him/herself. Underneath there are 4 legs...out of the way of diners.

The 3rd table, with lattice under it...is the same design as the table I was supposed to get with my set...but I chose a more ornate table, that seats 6. I'll add a photo in a minute.

I posted my big table...because I think the one you already own works! These iron pieces are pretty versatile. Everyones worried about the look being too matchy match...well...breaking it up a little is an option...

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry it wasn't more clear.. I DID mention them in the original post:

"I know it is a simple design but that's what i think will work best with my existing wrought iron dining chairs and the cuddle lounge chairs (that won't arrive until NEXT spring)."

They will all be on the same patio space-- so i want them to coordinate if not be a part of the same set.

• lyfia
    last year

what size is the existing table you have? If any of those sizes I would put the chairs with it and see how it feels. Do you leave the furniture out in winter time?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

The current table is a rectangle so no help. I can't try the table before I order it. The furniture stays on the covered patio year round-- but they are not exposed to rain/snow.

Sorry, not trying to be difficult-- but the only round table I have is 60" (and the one shown above). I am not in a position to easily buy/return one (mostly because I do not drive).

• Oakley
    last year

Because of my little story that follows, I've got to ask this question. :) Is it necessary to buy high end patio sets when you can get one for half the price and just as good, comfy, and pretty?

I never needed porch furniture until we built our huge front porch almost 12 years ago. DH made a picnic table with detached benches for the patio. He actually sold benches for storm cellars! But I digress

Twelve Mother's Day ago my family gifted me with a porch set from Home Depot. Dark brown aluminum. They kind of look black in different light, but I did spray paint them white. They're semi-heavy but I can easily pick up them up.

They've been outside since I got them and there isn't one scratch or bent piece of metal to be had. The cushions are in tip top shape along with the removable covers. Wash like a charm. They've been in all weather and still look new. I dust them with a fiber cloth.

Now take a look at this table from HD, with me giving the aluminum 10 stars, and tell me you'd still rather pay a $1,000 for nearly the same table. And no one will even notice the little designs on the edge of the legs.

42" round table

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Oakley
    last year

One more thing. I'm afraid if you get a solid top table it'll show smudges and scratches. For outdoors I'm not sure if I'd do that. Mine's mesh and the mesh top is thick and close together.

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • 3katz4me
    last year

We have three round tables at our lake cabin that we use for 2-4 people. I'll check the sizes when I'm there this weekend. Two are smaller - the two of us eat at the one indoors, the other small one on the deck has four chairs but that's used mostly for drinks and appetizers, the one in our screen porch is larger and easily seats four with larger chairs. I think it's 42" but I will verify - could be 48" as we have squeezed in six people with a couple smaller chairs.

Funkyart thanked 3katz4me
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Oakley, I am happy that your set has worked so well for you. Thanks for suggesting I look at cheaper-- given the cost of my lounge set, saving elsewhere would be a bonus.

However, the table I have selected is not $1000. It is also not cast aluminum. I don't know that price is relevant to my questions but the one I am looking at is on sale for $500-- and it is wrought iron which is my preference. My wrought iron dining chairs were purchased 22 yr ago and are still in great shape. I have repainted them every few years but that's it.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@3katz4me-- thank you! That would be helpful. Like you, I do have smaller chairs I keep in storage but I'll use the bigger dining chairs for everyday.

Oakley, i do not like mesh tops. I have friends/family with solid tops and they work fine. I do have an option for a slightly textured top but not sure i want to go that direction.

• nicole___
    last year

Funky...Looking at your decision process...and your choices...is FUN! Sorry you have to wait so long to get the lounge set.

• Allison0704
    last year

Can you post a photo here of your current dining chairs? I like the first table you posted, and it would go with most chairs. 36" is tiny. My sister has one in her kitchen and it is way too small for her four chairs (which are not large). I would get the 48" if it works in your area.

The wood top is nice too. I have a vintage wood top table on our screened porch, also a bench. I would only want a smooth wood top table outside because it gets fllthy even with cleaning often. The bench is not sealed and slightly rough feel, and it is harder to keep clean.

Funkyart thanked Allison0704
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I don't have great photos of my current chairs.. the one below shows some of the elements of the chairs. I am not considering 36"-- I would get the 42" or 48".

This is a very old photo at an old house -- neighbor kids are all adults and my pups have passed on. I like the chairs without cushions but i would add cushions to coordinate with the lounge chairs.

@Allison0704, you are right! The wood top table I have is very hard to keep clean. I have a glass top on it inside-- but i don't think I'd want the glass top outside. It would just suck up pollen, dust and food debris. Thanks for helping me nix that possibility.

• Allison0704
    last year

Agree. A glass top table came with our house. It's in the shaded area next to the pool. Hard to keep clean.

Funkyart thanked Allison0704
  • Fun2BHere
    last year

My dining table is 48" at its smallest and is comfortable for 4 diners. I don't think I would be happy with 42". However, if you are mostly going to have fewer than 4 diners, 42" would be fine.

Funkyart thanked Fun2BHere
  • teeda
    last year

I have a 48" iron patio table and chairs. The chairs are quite large. Four people are very comfortable at. But since it's just DH and I at home now, I would be happier with a 42" table. Feels like we're sitting quite far apart at the 48", and between the table and large chairs it takes up more space than I like.

Funkyart thanked teeda
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

You may have mentioned it already, but do you have a link to the table you posted above the one with the smooth aluminum top? I love it.

Funkyart thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • jmck_nc
    last year

Our kitchen table is 48" and we comfortably seat 3 on the regular, but often squeeze in 5 when my son and DIL come over for a casual meal (and the dining room table is used as a puzzle table!). We do have smaller scale chairs though.

Funkyart thanked jmck_nc
  • Sueb20
    last year

Our kitchen table is 42” round. DH and I eat there most nights, and now that DD is home the 3 of us eat there comfortably. Four would be snug.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • lizbeth-gardener
    last year

I have a 48" table and chair set (wrought iron) on an uncovered patio. It was purchased in 1995 and is in great shape. We just have it powder coated occasionally. The chairs have a wide flattened arm rest so width wise take up more space. The 48" allows a generous amount of room for each person; I think a 42" would be too crowded for us. We do have a 42" kitchen set, but the chairs do not have arms, so take up less space and it's just two of us.

Funkyart thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

I just took a pic of our outdoor table and chairs. It’s 48” and the chairs are medium sized, not oversized. We’ve had it for probably 25 or more years. I do have cushions but keep them stored unless we’ll be using them because of the wildlife, pollen, etc.

I prob wouldn’t want anything smaller for general dining but if you dont plan to eat there a lot a 42” would be ok. The 48” could accommodate another couple of small folding chairs if needed if everyone doesnt mind scooting together a bit.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much for your experiences with 42" and 48". It helps a lot... and outside, your photo was especially helpful.

I need to think about it.. and try to project how I will use the patio going forward. The pandemic has changed me-- and my views on how to relax and/or entertain.

The tables above are from Woodard, Patio Living and Ballard. I don't know where the wood top table is from. I bought it used about 10 yr ago.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Funky, reading your original post again, and seeing the solid surface top, I really think you could easily get by with the cafe feel of a 42” table. With our wide open spaces, ours doesnt ’feel’ that big, but with your patio, the large chairs you are ordering, and the side serving table, I think your best bet is a smaller table. When we entertain a larger crowd, we often put up more folding tables and tents on our patio, move things around and set up a folding table on the covered porch where we have more seating and side tables for drinks.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I am starting to think along the same lines, @OutsidePlaying.. and then maybe adding a larger table in another area of the yard when I build that out in the future.

I like the idea of a more intimate cafe style table for coffee, drinks, a meal for two ... and a separate space for a more involved dinner or gathering (when i start adding family members, the numbers increase quickly!).

I need to sketch it out -- even if i don't build out the other area for a year or two, I will have a plan.

Thanks so much!

• Oakley
    last year

Funky, I understand, and I do like the solid top, I was just afraid they'd scar. I was just giving you a heads up that you can get the same quality table for half the price. Usually. :)

This is a good idea for outdoor tables so they'll stay clean when not in use.

I'm sure you can get these elsewhere that are nicer

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • jck910
    last year

48" table with this size chair perfect for 4. Telescope Furniture

Funkyart thanked jck910
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Lyfia.. that is similar to how I will place mine although there are no walls. I am thinking that's the perfect size .. and I need another plan for a larger group. It's the perfect size for morning coffee and emails.. lunch with a friend, dinner with a beau etc.

Oakley, I could be wrong but i don't anticipate issues with scratches on wrought iron. None of the chairs or table in my current set have been scratched... and they've been moved 4 times and not been babied.

I will use tablecloths sometimes but most days it will be the top + planter

I had planned an uncovered patio for grills/big green egg and chairs in the sun-- was hoping to put it in this year but i lost steam and other things took priority. I think that's where i should put a larger table/umbrella. I am going to sleep on it a few days but i think that is what will work best-- keep the table under the covered patio small and intimate.

Thank you all for helping me to think through this!

• Tina Marie
    last year

@Funkyart I don't have a pic of our actual pergola but this is very, very close. We are having some landscaping work done in the backyard, so my patio is a mess, catch-all right now so I won't take a pic. Haha. I'll try to remember to when the job is done. I do know the pergola is 8 x 10. It's powder coated steel and the corner pieces bolt down into the concrete. Our cover is very similar to this. It's some kind of outdoor fabric with just a bit of open weave. We did not like the sides coming down so long, and we don't need shade coming from the side, so we took the shade top to a local tent/awning place and had the sides shortened. Ours doesn't tie on either. We have a small-ish wicker sofa with a matching club chair and ottoman under the pergola. Then we have two glider/rocking chairs at one side. I have a couple of side tables. It fits nicely and I have a rug under there too. We really enjoy having the shade.

ETA: We don't have a table on the patio. Outside of the pergola I have multiple planters/pots, grill area and a deck box (storage - cushions, etc.). Our sunroom has sliding windows with screens and I have a drop-leaf table in there where I can easily open it up to seat four-six.

I think you will do well with wrought iron - it's pretty hard to hurt it! I would definitely go for the 42, probably the 48 if it were me. Can't wait till you get your area all set up!!

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • 3katz4me
    last year

Okay - measured mine and here are photos. The indoor table is 42” and the porch one is 48”. I think 42” is pretty cozy for four though we’ve had four eat at that table when we’ve had buffet service. My other deck table is 39”.

Funkyart thanked 3katz4me
  • Lars
    last year

I have a new 42" diameter table in our eat-in kitchen in Cathedral City, and it replaced a 41" diameter bistro table. Normally, it is just the two of us, but the new table will accommodate four people with the dining chairs, and the old table had four bulky barstools, which did not create a problem.

Here's the old bistro table with four barstools:

Photo taken before we moved in.

Here's the new table with two chairs:

We can comfortably fit two more chairs and places, but I am using oval placemats because the rectangular ones do not fit.

Funkyart thanked Lars
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

LOL @Tina Marie, thanks for searching out a photo! I have never seen a pergola with a screen-- that's pretty cool! Does it hold water? I think I want sun on my extended outdoor scape but today's temps may change my mind lol.

Thanks, @3katz4me and @Lars those photos help a lot. I can see that 48" would serve most of my needs-- but the 42" is going to better fit the corner location and it's really just the look i want!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

And since I confused some, here is my vision for the eating and dining areas .. via an extremely crude mockup (note: i will NOT get red cushions).

• Tina Marie
    last year

@Funkyart there is no screen???

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, whatever you call the fabric covering ...

• Sueb20
    last year

Funky, I can’t wait to visit next summer and curl up on one of those chairs!

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Sueb20
    last year

PS when I look at Ballard web site, it says those chairs ship in 1-7 days. Why is it going to take so long to get yours? I looked because I want them but I wish (1) they were 1/2 the price and (2) I didn’t already have perfectly good chairs that don’t need to be replaced.

• maggieq
    last year

Late to the party, can commisertate on the "wrong purchase" on the wicker set. Re table size. After seeing your chairs, would choose the 48 inch table. The chair arms look wide, and while you could squeeze them around the smaller table, can you position them comfortably for 4 people to be able to eat at the smaller table. Do mock up with cardboard and see how 4 chairs fit around. Looking forward to seeing your vision in situ!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@Sueb20, the chairs at ballard are different-- they are cast aluminum but the ones I like are wrought iron. I would consider the ballard chairs except that the standard cover color (sand) won't work for me (i have beige brick-- they'd disappear)-- and it's another $700 or 800 to replace the cushions.

Wayfair has something similar that they say ships in 10 weeks (vs 40 wks) but I don't trust them-- they don't update shipping times and I have ordered numerous items that have not shipped, not shipped and then cancelled.

Maggie.. I think where i have landed is to keep a table for two under the covered patio and consider a second, larger table when I build out the uncovered patio (for grills, sitting in sun, etc). If i am being honest with myself and you, I am more likely to casually hang with SO/friends/sisters and serve cocktails than to serve full meals. I think this setup will do well for that kind of gathering ... and/or a meal for 2. I just don't Entertain (with a big E) that much anymore. Others in my circle have better spaces for entertaining (and parking) crowds.

This has been a good exercise for me to really think realistically about how i will use the space. Thanks for the input!

• Tina Marie
    last year

@Funkyart LOL! I had to go back and look at my picture. I was afraid I had found a screened in pergola!!! Anyhoo - the cover allows light (greatly filters it) and rain to come through. So no, it doesn't hold water. We only use the shade top during the hottest time of year - probably May - September.

I hate your chairs will take so long but I do agree the wrought iron will be much sturdier than cast aluminum.