SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanzliks_hanzlik

Who are you and not names

I am wife, grandmother and great grandmother, Went to college for one year and than got married.(60 years) Mostly stay at home mom but did work to help with the bills off and on. DH parents both died young so took in his 13 year old sister. In my later years I am boring.

How about you?

Comments (60)

• Jasdip
    last year
    last modified: last year

My husband and best friend died 3.5 years ago. I'm a sister and an aunt. Very much happily childless by choice.

I'm a cat mom to a number of cats over the years, I've always had a cat.

I recently took in a cat (Elliott) after mine died and I'm still getting to know his likes and dislikes. It kind of reminds me of a hubby...I love him, but he's also infuriating at times!

I love dogs, but other people's dogs. My walks aren't complete if I don't meet and pet and suck up a dog. I know more dogs names in the neighbourhood than people's. :-)

I'm friendly and outgoing, but also like time to myself.

• JustDoIt
    last year

Clearly I need to redefine myself as being other than an aunt. At 62 still a work in progress.

• Related Discussions

I have an American Sweetheart - did you know who it's named after

Q

Comments (13)
    Kate, if only...both our stock would increase immediately! Lol. Thanks, btw!:-). I had an itty bitty piece of moss in a 2" pot about three years ago which grew into at least an 18" round or more. I've been borrowing from it. All pieces are starting to set bloom - love the bright and cheery "carpet"! Thank you, Linda! You know how it is...you can only sit on the sidelines for so long.....lol Sandy, oh yes, pretty indeed! Lovely with the heuchera and astilbe colour combination. Jim, I like the association in your planting :-). How old is your American Sweetheart? Mocc, that Autumn Frost really makes the green shine and pop on your Sweetheart with such clarity! Very nice! Ken - oh my, really? I'd rather see the real Mick - for the third time! ;-) Mocc makes an interesting comment regarding the history. I've just passed the one year mark on this forum. During that time, you've revealed some interesting tidbits and stories such as this one....it's like you are our very own encyclopedia, but one with personality! as I've said before....a wealth of information. Don, thank you for adding that which I inadvertently omitted! How good of you for providing such important information! :-) I'm going to try and site this one where I can enjoy the yellow centre for as long as possible. I really, really like the shade of green in your pic, Mocc.
    ...See More

OT: Why did you pick your screen name?

Q

Comments (150)
    I had chimed into sugarbreak's thread in the Conversations area but I'll add mine here, too. I've been "starpooh" for 11 years. It started when we were looking for a distinctive email address for our family. So we took a family vote. My vote was for "tearose" because I love the smell of roses. DH and my then 8-year-old DS voted for "roadkill" because they're both jokesters. My youngest DS voted for "no_nap" because, as a 2 year old, that was his favorite phrase. So I suggested "starpooh", named after a gorgeous desktop wallpaper that I had found. After much discussion (and whining from Mr. "no-nap"), we decided that starpooh fit our family. Starpooh wallpaper: I do love this pooh wallpaper but actually Classic Pooh is my favorite. Here is a link that might be useful: sugarbreak's User Names thread from 2006
    ...See More

to the BM's out there

Q

Comments (47)
    You know what, yes, DH and I are much better off financially than BM. But, that is because I work my butt off to make sure that I am making enough money to cover everything. I make significantly more money than DH does and if he were by himself he would never be able to afford the things we are able to together. I will not apologize for working hard and making sacrifices to better myself. I will not apologize because I am able to afford to buy oldest son an Ipod for his birthday and BM is not. She is the only one making the choice to stay at her waitressing job. She is the only one choosing to work only three days a week barely working more than five hours each shift. Dh and I both work 40 hours a week and most times more and yet still manage to make time to work around the kids schedule and get everything done. I am the person who has decided that I want more success in my career and is going back to school. BM said she was going back to school but then never showed to her classes and failed her classes. Dh and I both are on the run from far before sunrise to far after sunset ... so no I will not apologize or feel guilty that I have a nice home or that I just went shopping to get some new work clothes... and it bugs me to no end to hear not only the people on this forum (certain people) throwing that in the air all of the time... but BM as well. I don't really care if she is broke or can't afford to do what she wants and I dont really care if her BF totalled her car and she can't afford another one so she has to drive her moms... that is not my problem ... We make sure the kids are taken care of and that is the end of our responsibilities. I will not feel guilty for making something out of my life and I will not feel guilty for encouraging DH to do the same. Before I came along he was so low on himself and his own abilities he never even thought to work in a managerial role in his profession... now, that is something he is actively working towards. Oh, and BTW just an example of the full effort or care BM puts in... the other night oldest son got in trouble at school.. school called dad ... in other words son in BIG trouble... well, BM picked kids up from school that day (DH had called bm to let her know what happened) oldest son lied to BM denying what happened ..(he had no idea BM and DH had talked) needless to say oldest in even more trouble... But at the crux of the problem is that this has been happening more and more with oldest. So, I decided to say something to both BM and DH ... I told them look the only reason why oldest thinks he can get away with lieing to the two of you and about the two of you is because you cant seem to have a conversation longer than 5 minutes without arguing... DH said I agree ... he hears everything that we are doing and saying and its not good for him... BM said and I qoute "well, he has been hearing that for years." As if that means things should continue exactly the way they are without care for how it affects your children ... great just one more example of why you are super mom ... not so much. I did say that that doesnt mean that it should continue and we all need to have better communication with each other or things will get out of control very quickly... ofcourse, it fell on deaf ears.
    ...See More

A question for folk who live in the GTA (you'll know who you are)

Q

Comments (2)
    If I had a garden, I would join you, but I only have narrow window sills. 'Im a lurker, only. I live in East York.
    ...See More
  • moosemac
    last year

I am a 65 year old grandmother to a 5 yr. old boy. He and his mom live with us so he keeps me hopping. Wife of 40 years. I work two jobs totaling 50-60 hours a week and love it! My husband is my best friend. We have a small social circle of very close friends and tend to focus on family time. I have a passion for vegetable gardening though I have had to cut back due to time constraints. I used to do a lot of volunteer work but since the birth of our GS I have cut way back.

I have had a wide variety of jobs, interests and hobbies over the years as I tend to get bored.

• lily316
    last year

I am a wife, mother of two, and grandmother of two. In my lifetime, I have had about 18 cats and four dogs. Presently I have three cats and two dogs. Sadly by the end of the year, it may be just the cats. My dogs who are elderly, one will turn 15 and the other 18 ,are declining particularly the dachshund who is blind, deaf ,and senile. I also have two koi ponds and include them as pets since I have had most of them for 20 years or more. I live in an 1840 farmhouse and for 45 years collected antiques, and now regret that obsession. I garden, read voraciously, and hike the Appalachian Trail every day for 3.5 miles. Boring, right?

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I’m mother, widowed 11 years ago and retired from a 44 year career as a pediatric RN 18 months ago. I’m 71 and don’t feel it…yet. I am so grateful to have my two kids, and that we have a close and easy relationship. My DD lives in the ADU I built in my basement, and we agree it’s a perfect arrangement. My DS and DDIL live about 45 minutes away. No grandkids; I’m completely ok with that. I have two cats, and have always been a cat owner. I have a wonderful circle of friends who I met in the 80s (my husband among them) through our shared love of going to Grateful Dead shows together, and we are still doing that! I travel (much less the past two years!) most often to France and Kauai. I love to read, primarily nonfiction. I’ve lived my Oakland home for 35 years, and grew up a few miles from here, in Berkeley. I recently completed a home renovation that took a year, and really enjoyed the design process. I have a beautiful garden and want to learn more about gardening. I really love spending time at home, doing not much:)

• arcy_gw
    last year

I am a Roman Catholic. I am a wife. I am a mom to three adult offspring. I am a Speech Pathologist. I am a crafter, a gardener, a volunteer, a friend. Daughter, older sister, younger sister. I am creative, determined, decisive, organized, capable, to be counted on. I was a military brat who grew up in the mid-west, went to college and grad school in the north and eventually settled in small town MN.

• LynnNM
    last year

I'm a very caring, accepting and friendly human being. A loving wife of 39 years and counting. The proud and loving mom of two now-adult, wonderful kids. And, of two wonderful fur kids. I'm also grandma to 5 fur kids, one of which lives with us at the moment. I'm retired now, but have a degree in radiologic technology. I worked in that field for a number of years, with sub-specialties in pediatrics, ER, and orthopedics. I went back to college to get a degree in interior design, but had to drop out before graduating as DS was born. But, I did work as a decorator for a number of years here locally. I went back to school again to become a Master Gardener. Then became a writer for, and then editor of a state-wide gardening newspaper for a few years before going back to decorating. Most of this while I was also the co-owner with my husband of our very busy medical clinic. Originally from Michigan, then Deerfield Beach , FL, and for many years now, this beautiful state of New Mexico.

• Jupidupi
    last year

I'm a New York transplant, an urban hiker who walks at least 4 miles a day running errands, a lover of apartment living, a lover of men, happily child-free, a first time bride at the age of 61, a servant of my cat, an entrepreneur, a yoga practicioner, a rollerskater, an avid napper.

• User
    last year

Loving wife. Childfree by choice. Mid 40s. Very liberal. Goofball. Graphic designer by trade. Hobbies: DIY home improvement, decor, travel. Hate sports but love walking anywhere and everywhere. Prefer city life over suburbs.

Born and raised in the Southwest, but found the Pacific Northwest is my true home. Eventually moving to Vancouver where I will apply for citizenship (Husband is Canadian, this is not just a liberal fever dream). Very excited about that, and a little nervous too.

• nekotish
    last year

Born and raised and still reside in the Fraser Valley in BC Canada. Retired at 60, two years ago. (Sometimes) loving wife to my husband of 35 years. Mom to twin daughters, 26 years old, one is a critical care RN, the other is a high school musical theatre/English teacher. No grandchildren yet but I think we're getting closer. Goddess of the Universe to our goofy little dog - he is rarely more than one step away from me. Looking forward to being able to travel internationally again but have been happy staying in the province for the last two+ years. We have a 32' 5th wheel and love to just head out and see where the road takes us.

• phoggie
    last year

I am 80 years young and I have been widowed twice…at 33 and 70. Proud mother of 3 children (Electrical Engineer, Occupational Therapist, Kindergarten Interventionist), 5 grandchildren ( 4 Engineers and one still in college), and 2 great-grandsons. I have lived all my life in the great rural areas in middle America. While widowed, I was employed as school secretary/accountant for 27 years. I am thankful to have done extensive traveling while my spouse was living. I was always looking for thrills like parasailing, zip-lining, sky-diving, etc.

Having severe arthritis, all major joint replaced and numerous back surgeries, plus Essential Tremors in hands and various areas, limits my physical activities, but I do what I am able and hire what I can’t. I am content living right where I am in my little house on the lake and hope to stay right here until God calls me home!

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I’m a 73 year old happy wife, mother, grandmother, aunt, great-aunt and niece to a 96 year old aunt. I retired after working as an engineer for the Federal Government in Missile Defense for over 30 years. I was a successful Program Manager and was able to work on many interesting projects and travel to many places in the US and overseas during my career. My DH also did similar work so we often had similar experiences we could share.

Our 3 kids and their spouses have been very successful in raising our 6 grandkids. Oldest grandson graduated last August, oldest DGD just graduated magna cum laude and will be working on her MBA next year. DGD #2 is in Italy studying this summer and will be a college senior in the fall. Then the next 3 will start college in a couple of years. We’re proud of all of them.

I’ve always enjoyed outdoor activities…camping, skiing (water and snow), hiking, rapelling (in my younger years), zip lining, white water rafting, kayaking, gardening. I volunteer at our Botanical Garden and a couple of other organizations.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

I retired after working as an engineer for the Federal Government in Missile Defense for over 30 years.

Outside, wow, in my house, you would be quite the rock star.

• amylou321
    last year

I am 37, the youngest of 6. I have never been married,though I have been with my SO for almost 13 years,and I do not care if we get married or not. I never wanted kids, and therefore don't. SO has 2 adult offspring that I really have nothing to do with. No estrangement or anything, just kind of a not my problem thing. If anything were to happen to my SO, I think I would be happy to be alone for the rest of my life. Well,not happy to be without HIM, but content not to have a different man in my space, making noise and kicking up dust everywhere.....

I am an aunt to 15, the family cook,and am grateful that that is the extent that my family relies on me. I enjoy cooking,especially for others and its been a real honor to have my nieces and nephews entering adulthood contact ME for my recipes or cooking advice.

I would not call myself a "fur mom" but I do love my pets and tend to like animals more than a lot of people I have met....

I never saw myself as a career person, but a hard worker. I never really cared about the power my position at work held or the authority it wielded over others. So I am a good worker bee. Pay me, I'll show up, work, leave, and repeat. I work too much because they know if they call me on my days off to come work I will. But I do try to have fun everywhere I go if possible even at work. I like my job most nights and I like the company I work for and the overall environment there. They allow me a lot of leeway to be me where a lot of other companies would not.

I love to decorate for and celebrate the big holidays to obnoxious excess every year,at home and at work. I find that a lot of people are grateful to be able to engage in the seasonal nonsense without having to put it in the work to do so. And that is why i take such joy in doing it.

I love pink, tacky decor and have NO concern for what other people think about me, my style, my likes and dislikes, my personality, or how I live my life. None. I think I am a mostly selfish person in all things other than work,(I feel somewhat taken advantage of sometimes by my boss and coworkers, probably my own fault) but do not necessarily see that as a negative, as I do not take anything from anyone else to be happy. I just do what I want.

So in summary, I am:

A good worker

A GREAT SO

An unproblematic daughter/sister/aunt

A decent person

An animal lover

A holiday weirdo fiend

Overall unapologetic weirdo

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Zalco, thank you. I have to admit, it was pretty exciting, and seeing (and hearing and feeling) a rocket go up never gets old. I was fortunate to be a part of a lot of tests.

• beesneeds
    last year

I am a divinity in a delightful meatsuit. I am a cheerleader and a formentor. I am mind hungry, a lore tripper, a researcher. I am a curious child, an adult in full glory and folly.. and sometimes now, I'm also burning my platinum hoofs on the downhill side.

• jewels_ks
    last year

I'm 58, married for 29 years and we have three grown children. I have a college degree, was a stay at home mom for many years and have worked at a Special Ed school for the past 10 years. I have an older brother, older sister, and a younger brother that died of a drug overdose 5 years ago. My parents are 82 years old and both fairly healthy. I have 5 nieces and nephews, 4 great nieces and nephews I work out about 5 days a week, like to read, watch tv, hang out with friends and play games. I also love to sing out loud (terribly) in the car, and listen to music aIot during the day. I stay pretty busy and have never considered myself boring!

• drewsmaga
    last year

I am Maga (Grandmother) to 8 (Drew is the oldest @ 24; youngest just turned 3) Mother of 3 sons, 1 daughter, married 52 years. I've survived a LOT of trauma and heartbreak and come out of the other end of hell too many times (once is too many -- and then there has been MY life. . .) and I'm now living my B.EST life!

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Like others, my relationships have different names with different people so there's no need to cite them. Married over 40 years ago, we don't always row on the same stroke but it's fine, we're happy and the boat keeps moving forward. I think we're an example of opposites attracting but funny enough, for almost all of our major life decisions and for issues relating to parenting, we're almost always on the same page.

I think some but not all of you are older than I am, and also had kids at earlier ages than I did. And your kids seem to have too. Our first kid wasn't born until we were both in our thirties and our kids who have had kids (we have more than two kids, fewer than five) have done the same. None of my grandkids is yet out of elementary school and one is still in diapers. And more may be in store, who knows.

Our kids are all thankfully smarter than we are and though we both have master's graduate degrees, all of our kids worked very hard to attain more than that in pursuit of entry level qualifications for different professions. Each in different areas. No failures to launch, no move back home after college, none of that. And no whip marks on their backs. We challenged them to set high goals and then work hard to achieve them - all have done that and more.

I had a demanding professional career and when I reached my mid-fifties, I decided I'd done my part and having accumulated enough to comfortably retire, did so. It was the right decision.

We split our time now between two homes in low density urban/suburban locations in my home state and enjoy travelling too. We've accumulated a number of dear, long-term friends over the years from different places, times and parts of our life and we enjoy seeing and doing things with them. All's well.

• mojomom
    last year

Personally: I‘m an active fit 67 year old, from a southern state, but moved to a ski resort area in the Rockies four years ago. Mother to a wonderful daughter and grandmother to an energetic 5 year old grandson and MIL to a wonderful SIL. Married to my best friend, though currently separated, but still see each other daily. DD and her family live in the other half of the duplex we built when we moved here, so multigenerational living, but with privacy. dinner together most nights, I cook. Two dogs and two granddogs. Because of our living situation the dogs come and go from house to house as they please (they share the yard and both houses/sides have dog doors), but usually all four end up with me in the evenings.. As i type this on the chaise by the fireplace, my old guy is on the couch and the other three are on the floor close by. All sleeping now now, but waiting for bedtime treat-time. I have good friends and family back home and go back approximatly 4 to 6weeks a year.

Recreationally: A little skiing during the winter, but not as much since Covid. Getting back into whitewater kayaking, but not as aggressively or with the difficulty as in my prime - I was solid class III-IV, but now just solid II-III. Still fun though and I have a great run five minutes from my house. For the past year I have been working out with a personal trainer 2 or 3 times a week. I’ve just started playing bridge a couple of times a week and am a crossword puzzle addict.

Professionally: Almost completly retired lawyer, still ”Of Counsel” with the large (for the southern state) firm where I was a partner for almost 30 years. Bachelors in Business, majored in banking and finance, JD and then LLM in Agricultural Law. I’ll probably stay with my firm as of counsel at least until i see how the current economic situation plays out, not because of personal finances, but because my particular skill set (commercial bankruptcy) may be needed. The economy has been good enough long enough that the young pups will need someone with my experience to jump in and help and, oddly, it is something I enjoy. I am also very close friends withothers in the firm and, especially now that I live 1200 miles away, I would miss them if I didn’t go back to the office now and then. My brother and I also own farms ’back home’ —all land rented out on shares, but I keep a close tab as an absentee landower. Brother still lives on and near the farms — he’s the land and crop guy and I’m primarily on the business end, with his input of course. It’s really worked out well for both of us.

• marilyn_c
    last year

I am 75 yrs old, and live in East Texas, about 20 miles s/w of Lufkin. Until about 3 years ago, I lived on the Texas Gulf coast. I was married in 1966 to my childhood sweetheart, who was a commercial shrimper since 1963.

He had a terminal lung disease, and could no longer work, and he wanted me to have a place to make it easier to care for the horses that I have, so we relocated up here. This place was formerly an Arabian horse farm.

We have one daughter, born in 1980, who is married, and lives and works in Houston, about 2 hours away. I have no grandchildren, and very few relatives because I was the youngest in my family by almost 20 yrs, and all have passed on now, except for 2 nephews, a niece, and a cousin, but I am not particularly close to them.

My husband died 14 months ago. It has been an adjustment. In our marriage, I didn't work outside of home. My husband worked long hours, often 7 days a week, and I could be home when he was. Also, financially, I didn't need to work outside of home.

My dad passed in 1968, and my mother had been very dependent on him...never written a check, didn't drive a car, etc. Since I was the youngest, and had no children at the time, I looked after her. Then when my daughter was born, I was home with her. And then I cared for an elderly friend for 8 years...and then my husband, as he became an invalid. So I have spent my life taking care of other people.

I also take care of animals. I was a wildlife rehabber for over 20 years. I still take in baby animals sometimes. I have some baby possums now. I "specialized" in possums when I rehabbed. I have raised literally hundreds of baby possums.

I rescued horses from neglect and bad situations. I still have 6 horses, 3 donkeys and a mule. I wish I could do more, but it is very expensive, and I am trying to out live the ones I have

I have raised, collected, and hybridized waterlilies since 1967. I have had over 200 varieties at one time.

I am an all or nothing person. I am either completely all in, or have no interest at all.

I am an introvert who doesn't mind being alone, except for missing my husband very much. I don't watch TV...listen to news/talk radio and podcasts. Hate talking on the phone. I am a crazy cat lady, and have 6 dogs....all rescues. I may be boring, but I am never bored. In my life, that would be a luxury, and I would take a nap.

I am very proud of my old horses. So here is a picture of Rain, who is 30 yrs old....before.

After:

• nicole___
    last year

@marilyn_c...Rain is a GOOD looking horse! What a difference you've made!

@OutsidePlaying...If I'd had a guarantee my kids would have been a success, I would have had a few.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married 43 years. Spent my life working, investing our savings, so we could afford to vacation lavishly & live well. Having fun as a primary goal. Colorado is a great place to enjoy the great outdoors!

• marilyn_c
    last year

Thank you. He looks good for his age. He was given to me to be a companion to Emery, after I had to put down Snoop, Emery's previous companion.

• JustDoIt
    last year

Marilyn - I'm from East Texas and you put me to shame with the amount of work you do.

• marilyn_c
    last year

You wouldn't say that if you saw this place. I can't keep up.

• yeonassky
    last year

Marilyn nobody's going to look at the state of your place! What you do goes beyond whether a place is clean! All the best to you.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

All, in these troubled days it’s a miracle your kids and grandkids can get thru high school without some sort of drama or trouble. Sure, the usual teen drama, but we have been so lucky our kids set a good example and our grandkids are smart, loving, kind, and motivated. You just never know.

Marilyn, please don’t beat yourself up over the state of your place. Your love is in the state of your animals and their health. When it’s time to turn it over to someone else, you will know.

• Judy Good
    last year

I have been married 37 years, have 2 great kids and a beautiful Granddaughter! I became a first time grandma at 61 years old. DH is totally in love with her also. I am a retired nurse but only worked part time since we got married. I was mostly a stay at home mom and wife. I sew every single day, I simply love it. Love to cook and bake also. We live in Holland Michigan, the Tulip City! right by lake Michigan.

• bpath
    last year

I'm a procrastinator. I'll probably never get around to posting in this thread.

• woodnymph2_gw
    last year

I'm one of the widows here, for 25 years. My late husband was my best friend. I share his love of history, nature, journalism, and animals. I am a published poet having worked most of my life in libraries and historical societies. Upon retirement, I started my own pet sitting business. My favorite past time is walking in the woods, observing the natural world. In my younger days, I enjoyed classical ballet, advanced yoga and pilates.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I am also a Lover of the Natural World and its Creator. A wife, mother, grandmother, retired after 36 years in higher education administration.

I had an epiphany about 2 years ago when I realized I was an officer in 5 different organizations. I have now resigned from 4 of those offices and completely withdrew from 2 organizations altogether. I’ll resign from the other office soon.

Why is NO so difficult? Yesterday I was asked to co- chair a fund drive, and though I feel terribly guilty about it, I said no. Also yesterday, there were two events I should have attended but I didn’t want to. I wanted to go for a walk and then work in my yard. So I did what I wanted. I’m learning, but guilt weighs heavily.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

Loser, idiot and fool

• nickel_kg
    last year

Aww rob333, I don't doubt you are a loser, idiot and fool -- at times, because we ALL are, at times. But I'm even more certain that you are a smart, strong, perceptive woman and an excellent mother to your child. And I'm glad you are here.

• nickel_kg
    last year

I'm a 65 year old unremarkable woman, enjoying being retired.

• lily316
    last year

I wish Marilyn would send me some baby possums. I love them and haven't seen one for years.

• marilyn_c
    last year

Lily, I wish I could send you some. This time of year the rehabbers are covered up with them. I went down to visit my friend I used to rehab with, and she had some baby possums that weren't doing well because they were so tiny, they needed to be tube fed, and she doesn't do that and most of the girls who help her, don't either. It is easy to do if you go slow. I would much rather tube feed possums than kittens, and I have done that too. I have tried to teach them, but they are nervous about it. Anyway, here is a little possum boy....doing great and can be released soon.

• sleeperblues
    last year

I will be 63 on Tuesday, married for 33 years. I am a nurse, worked all areas of critical care starting in the NICU, then went to Peds ICU. Had to stop that when I had my first baby, the driving home from work every morning with tears streaming down my face wasn't good for my mental health. From there I worked all adult areas of ICU, including the burn unit. In 1992 I started anesthesia school, which was a master's program at the time (doctorate now). I had an 18 month old and a 3.5 year old at the time. My husband, also an RN, worked part time and took care of the kids, then when I graduated he also went to anesthesia school. DH retired 18 months ago, but I plan to work for about 3 more years. I love my job and the people I work with.

Our DD is 32 and DS is 30. She is a teacher and lives about 3 hours away and he is a senior editor at an online language company and lives in Berlin Germany. We are planning a wedding celebration at our home in July for DD, who got married 2.5 years ago but due to covid we haven't been able to celebrate. So lots of sprucing things up around here.

We have a lake home that we spend lots of time at, and a 33 foot RV that we bought about 4 years ago. We are thinking of selling it and getting a 22 foot that I can drive also. We love to travel, and love Europe. We currently have 2 dogs, a standard poodle and a rescue mutt. Our mutt is rather famous in town because when she was found she was bald and her skin was all wrinkly so they called her Wrinkles. She was adopted by a lady who renamed her Guppie and started on allergy meds and her hair grew back. The lady got sick, so had to give her back and then I adopted her. She is so fun, and they both make us laugh every day.

• stacey_mb
    last year

I am a 75 year old woman who is married, with one son and two grandchildren. I worked outside the home for most of my life, either part time or full time. Later in my life I had a "midlife crisis" and decided to make a change, which was to leave my job and attend university full time. I hadn't graduated from high school or previously thought about higher education, but there it was. I absolutely loved university studies and it felt like coming home. After my undergraduate degree, I went to university in a different city and obtained a master's degree in library science. I retired after having worked in libraries for several years. Now in retirement, I read, try to do 10,000 steps a day most days and wish I still had interest in sewing to tackle my fabric stash lol! DS is doing great, but we're all still trying to adjust after the death of our dear daughter-in-law 18 months ago. Grandkids were fortunate to have had a good grounding from their parents and are pursuing university studies.

• jill302
    last year

I am 62, married 31 years to my wonderful husband 61, who has been in software development for many years. The mother of two adults. My daughter who is 28 teaches science and my son 26, works in IT as a data analyst, daughter has her Masters and son is in process. We just added my wonderful SIL age 30, to our family in November. He is an international tax attorney, never knew there was such a thing, until we met him. Also, dog mom to a wonderful 17 y.o. mixed breed girl, who resembles a large Maltese. Unfortunately, she has lung cancer and will not be with us much longer. My 15 y.o. Shih Tzu passed last year, miss him terribly.

On the career side, I have worked in Employee Benefits for 35 years, I took a 10 year hiatus when my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 7 years old. Enjoyed volunteering, reselling antiques and clothing, and just spending time with family. For the last 12 years I have worked part-time and will probably continue to do so until my employer becomes annoyed that I am taking too much time off to travel, then it will be time to retire.

Love to travel, spend time at museums, attend plays and concerts. Read. Hike, walk on the beach and dance. People watching. Baking and entertaining. Trying new foods and restaurants. Enjoy prowling through antique and thrift stores on the hunt for the perfect treasure. So much to enjoy. Looking forward to grandkids when my children are ready.

• wildchild2x2
    last year

I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction depending on who you ask. I'm generally straight forward, honest, good and kind but I am not nice. The former comes from the heart and deep seated values. The latter is too frequently a mask people wear to manipulate others. At 71 I've led a life with many interesting twists and turns. They say there are 6 degrees of separation. Those closest to me would argue that my life has only 1 degree of separation or 2 at best.

• Alisande
    last year

This thread has been an interesting and enjoyable read.

I turned 79 last month, a number that shocks me because it's so close to 80. I hope I'll have a similar reaction in 10 years. I come from a family of artists and musicians. I was born in Greenwich Village, grew up in Queens, and lived in Midtown Manhattan for four years after I was married. In 1975 we moved to the old farm in PA where I still live today.

During what I jokingly call "my elegant period" in the 1960s I worked at Lincoln Center--a dream job. I took full advantage of it, attending concerts, operas, and other performances. Made wonderful friends. Soaked up the superb vibe of that magical place.

My first child was born the day before our 8th wedding anniversary. Two more followed--two girls and a boy total. My bliss. All I ever really wanted was to be a mother. I started the first La Leche League group in our county. With lots of room on the property, my DH and I decided we could have all the dogs, cats, and horses we wanted. At one time they numbered 5, 12 (some in the heated barn), and 11, respectively, all at once.

I lost my middle daughter in 2001, and my husband in 2005 following his 10-year battle with dementia. It was my battle too.

Gardening, sewing, cooking, writing, and rug hooking, I stayed home with my kids--and loved it--until they reached mid-to-late teens. I had an active life in poetry with a great group, and have had poetry as well as fiction and nonfiction published. When the kids were older I went to work as a newspaper reporter and photographer and eventually editor. That was another dream job, but I had to quit to take care of my husband. I succeeded in getting some freelance jobs--editing, writing, and homeschooling consulting. I still submit fiction to Woman's World occasionally.

When the pandemic started I said I would have an easier time of it than many because I was an only child who learned early to amuse myself. I used to have a newspaper column called "Making My Own Fun." And that was true. But I wasn't prepared for the physical toll the isolation has taken on me. My only visible neighbor is my son and his family--and thank goodness for them--but they had two little boys plus a newborn that first year, and we didn't see much of each other. I didn't see anyone else either. With worsening scoliosis, I look and feel quite different than I did 2+ years ago.

I'm lucky though. So fortunate to have my kids nearby, as well as my three grandsons. The older boys (8 and 10) and I have lots of fun. We just completed our "Spider-Man Family Film Festival," viewing all five movies, one per week. (This did not include the newest one, which their dad took them to see in the theater.) My granddaughter lives a distance away, but she's 31! We keep in close touch. After my DH's nursing home drained my finances for several years, I'm grateful to be frugal by nature. And I'm grateful to social media for providing me with a community.

• LynnNM
    last year

Alisande: what a wonderful, interesting human being you must be! I loved your post!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Alisande, have you watched the Amazing Mrs Maisel? Season Two had a lot of Forest Hills Gardens.

• maire_cate
    last year

Lynn - She is! She's also kind, a wonderful writer, easy to talk to and a true beauty. I've met her a few times when I've gone to our place in PA and we managed to rendezvous for lunch. Unfortunately it's been many years since we saw each other. Too many years.

• sjerin
    last year

Rob! What's going on with you? I do hope that was somehow tongue-in-cheek... I love reading your posts and you come across as the opposite of what you wrote. Were you just being funny? I hope you are alright.

• sjerin
    last year

This has been such a delightful post to read--I'm a people-person.

I used to sub in local elem. schools but haven't gone back since C. My husband retired 18 months ago and it's been an adjustment having him here all day! We were lucky to be able to watch our baby granddaughter for awhile, though they have temporarily moved to AZ; seeing them recently there was a delight. Our other two daughters also live out-of-state, one in Den and one in nyc. I enjoy meeting with friends to walk or eat lunch, and putter around the house and garden. I'm bummed that I can't indulge my love of flowers that love water anymore; I have a feeling we're going to have to give up our lawn altogether soon enough. (As my name implies, I live in San Jose.)

• Alisande
    last year

Aw, thank you LynnNM and (I miss you) Maire_Cate!

Zalco, I watched the first season. I liked it, but drifted away for some reason. I should get back to it. Thanks for the reminder! I think I particularly enjoyed it because the people and some of the settings seemed so familiar to me

• samkarenorkaren
    last year

I'm a 60 year old admin asst. Single (separated at the moment) mom to my fur baby, artist, ex DJ, and a hermit...I hate going outside unless I have to. Avid reader of romances too.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

Tongue in cheek