test test test test test

Katie S
last year
last modified: last year

Comments (52)

• la_la Girl
    last year

I would be tempted to change out the lighted mirror and replace it with 2 mirrors over the sinks and add more charming lighting at the vanity (it feels a little commercial for me) A large orchid on the vanity would be also be a nice addition

eta - based on your inspo photo, it has several natural textural elements - so you could try add in some of those where there is space

Katie S thanked la_la Girl
  • Linda Dornan
    last year

Definitely the biggest difference between your space and the inspo picture is the use of natural wood and baskets in the same shades. Your space is very flat with nothing that adds texture or interest. I agree that your vanity light/mirror does not fit the mood you’re going for. Look carefully at how the inspo bath is styled: shelves, baskets and bench all coordinate with white as the unifying accent. Soft textiles in that same white give another layer of interest.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    last year

@la_la Girl thank you -- unfortunately, the mirror is staying. We spent too much on it to take it down and install a new one. Would a different color hardware make a difference? Ie. gold? or is gold out of style?

@Linda Dornan thank you as well -- I agree, our space is very flat. thank you for feedback.

• L P
    last year

Your bath is gorgeous! The only differences I see between your inspiration photo and the finished bath is color amd texture. For example, the shower niche has what looks like wood tone bottles, and there are plants and fluffy towels in the photo. You could easily add those elements, and also drape a colorful, textured towel over the edge of the tub, a towel ring on the narrow wall by the sink with a colorful towel, a plant, art or shelves above the toilet, a textured rug, etc. I think with your own touches you will be so happy with this room. it really is lovely!

Katie S thanked L P
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO what you got is awesome and now add some color with towels aaceessories a blank slate to work with ,What exactly was thereson you fired your designer ?If I was the designer I sure would hope you paid me in full or you would be looking at a claims court .

Katie S thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Shasta
    last year

You need some contrast. Your inspiration picture has light wicker, and light wood shelves and floor, to go along with the white/grey marble. I agree with la_la girl, replace the mirror with something that has a wood stain color or some other contrasting detail that you can repeat around the room. It really is a beautiful start. Just needs something like a darker neutral shade or introduction of a color. Adding texture ( like the wicker) would also look nice.

• Shasta
    last year

Here’s a bath with gold hardware similar to yours. I think it makes a big impact.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/so-cal-beach-cottage-beach-style-bathroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~166671743

• seagreen3
    last year

Those light gray walls blend with everything and leave the room looking washed out. I’d do a white that coordinates with the tub or go significantly darker (LVR ~ 40)—maybe the warmest gray you can find that works with the vanity and tiles. Then add natural / light wood accessories. If the light on the mirror can be color-adjusted, make it warmer (3000K, or even 2700K).

• palimpsest
    last year

They digitally lightened and bleached out the bathroom in that inspiration picture. . I guarantee that unless that bathroom has a plate glass window and gets full sun, it looks a lot more like your bathroom in real life than it seems. I see real estate in real life compared to the pictures online regularly

What you've got is a fine basis for adding some natural wood and accessories like the inspiration picture

Katie S thanked palimpsest
  • User
    last year

Other than the big glaring fry your behind code violation, and the lack of good lighting, your bath isn't that fundamentally different than your inspiration. Hire an electrician to fix those issues.

Katie S thanked User
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I agree that it is dull, flat and lifeless in gray and white.

Add color! Towels, rugs, art. A ceramic urn. Wood or woven baskets/boxes. Live green plants. What’s your favorite color? Deep purple? Turquiose? Clear red? Dandelion yellow?

Katie S thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Sarah
    last year

Art, ceramics, wood, fluffy towels. That’s what’s missing!

Katie S thanked Sarah
  • palimpsest
    last year

Yes, technically if you can touch the fixture standing in the tub or stand on the rim of the tub and reach the pendant fixture over it, it's a code violation. I don't think you could stand on the rim of that particular tub but the code does not specify anything about rim width. An older garden style tub or one set into a platform you could stand on.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I think it’s lovely. You need art, plants, a bit of colour.

Katie S thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Katie S
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone for your input! I'm stuck! If I add wood accents, what shade of wood ? dark or light wood? specifics needed, im so lost!

@Patricia Colwell Consulting I paid her in full. Didn't want to move move forward due to her design skills.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    last year

@User can you elaborate? this is the mirror above the vanity. the light has a dimmer/off. https://www.build.com/elegant-lighting-mre13660/s1605106

• Katie S
    Original Author
    last year

@palimpsest very interesting - I had no idea that was a violation.. thank you for bringing to my attention. The edited photo is spot on. Thank you for your input!!

• palimpsest
    last year

There is actually a good reason for this, particularly with those older style tubs built into a platform. Really you are supposed to sit on the platform and kind of swing your legs around. not stand on it and then try to get down into the tub from a standing position, which is what everybody does. If you are standing on a platform and slip, you are going to grab at something and if you can reach the fixture you could grab that and at the very least cut yourself if you break a bulb and at the worst electrocute yourself. That's the rationale.

• palimpsest
    last year

Also notice in the inspiration photo the ceiling light isn't even on.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Honestly get a tray to go across tub that is a light wood colour. Get a woven basket also light wood and put towels in it. You don’t need to do much

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Just playing with some ideas to bring contrast and color.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

So I’m going to share my bath, which hopefully people don’t entirely hate lol. But it’s all greys. I’m currently wanting to add a plant, likely fake, and change out the mat.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @WestCoast Hopeful, @L P, @Shasta, @seagreen3, @Sarah, @palimpsest, @littlebug zone 5 Missouri

@Flo Mangan silly question, but how did you put that together? Is that an app? I'm a visual person, so thank you!! This helps a lot.

• everdebz
    last year

Not a pro, but there's nothing wrong. Houzzer pro's especially would offer opinions/ help about firing.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    last year

@WestCoast Hopeful I love your bathroom! I's so clean looking.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Key word looking 😂

• happyleg
    last year

Beach wood or dark wood & green. A grab bars for safety. Love Flo's idea.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

From view entering bath. Moved art to wall over tub. You can pick the accent color you want. I just like cobalt blues with this bathroom look.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Mix of styles. Sone traditional like the rug but modern art etc.

• jayapple21
    last year

I have a question for the designer pros: if the paint color is BM Decorator White, why does the room look so gray? Would a change of bulbs in the overhead lights bring more light and brightness to the space? A different wattage perhaps?

I was going to suggest repainting the door/vanity wall a brighter white but if it's already a BM white tone then perhaps that wouldn't make any difference.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I think you're just missing the accessories for the project and maybe an adjustment on the light bulbs.

The lighted mirrors would not have been my first choice because sconces add so much to a bathroom appearance.

If you don't want the natural wood shelves, I think that white or gray will work in the space also.

If you don't want the small bench in the room a basket for towels will work also.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Wall color is a function of monitors so can’t rely on photos. Check LED level of can lights. The downside of LED mirrors is the amount of light they produce. Generally need side sconces for adequate overall lighting. Especially in the bathroom. You might have noticed, I replaced faucets with black matte look. Single handle. If you have holes for separate handles you need replacements that fit the spacing of holes.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @Flo Mangan . I really like your ideas.

@jayapple21 - I am wondering the same thing. It may be because there is no window in the bathroom. We have ample of lights (6) with 'bright white' bulbs. dimmers on each light (not sure if that makes a difference).

@BeverlyFLADeziner thank you Beverly. I love the design elements you picked. I just need certain items to brighten up the room. I appreciate your input!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Here are more pics from the inspiration room. Someone made the decision to not use wicker and cane that was in this bath. Someone agreed to use the lighted mirrors instead of individual mirrors. And there is no comparing a room that has no natural light to one that does. Two different animals.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

You have a beautiful base to work from. So I suggest you select some artwork you love for the wall over the tub. Then let those colors inform other choices. Many would give up their bathrooms for yours so be happy. Not sure what went wrong with your designer but hope you can mend fences. 😀

Katie S thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I use the Houzz website but it isn’t easy to use. I haven’t found one that works well and have tried many. There are more sophisticated packages but are more expensive and have quite a learning curve.

• jayapple21
    last year

You have another wall that could hold a long vertical piece of art - the wall that you look at as you walk towards the toilet (with the shower on its right). You would need something flat but its a great spot for something long and narrow. If you like that idea, take a peek at what Etsy offers.

Right now your bath is like the 'simple black dress'. It has beautiful lines, it just needs accents. I think you're going to be really pleased with it once you find accent pieces you love.

Katie S thanked jayapple21
  • everdebz
    last year

Hi. After looking at your earlier two threads, where you asked questions, stated paint color, marble choices, I hope there's a reason now to tell why you fired this person... what part of the color palette weren't you aware of?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Honestly I think this is just a case of accessories not being in yet. It’s a beautiful space but feel stark without those things

Katie S thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I understand your disappointment. Although the end result is a beautiful, it doesn't have the same feeling as your inspiration picture. It is much more sleek and modern than the inspiration picture.

You can add more light and some wood shelves, a wood tray for over the tub, wicker baskets, hang some pretty towels, a silk flower arrangement and add some art to soften the look.

Does the chandelier meet code requirements? I am renovating my bathroom and my electrician told me that the lowest point of your chandelier must be either 8 feet above the highest point of the tub’s rim, or at least 3 feet away from the tub.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I think it’s quite a beautiful bathroom, and just needs some accessories, as suggested above. What on earth did the designer do to deserve being fired?

• everdebz
    last year

I noticed your inspiration photo - lighting is a big deal to me - any chance a solatube could be installed?

• arcy_gw
    last year

I fear you gave up on your designer before s/he could get to the pretty stuff, the finishing that gives a room lift and light. What you have is what a room looks like when it's empty--no one lives there yet.

• Susanna S
    last year

For me, the biggest disconnect is the green tint in the glass shower panels. Your decorator should have specified low iron glass. That green is the big bully in the room and with the recessed light above it casts a color that makes all your other colors look muddy. I would have fired my decorator for this expensive mistake for sure!

• pleballerina
    last year

That craptastic mirror was in a hotel I stayed in recently-they put it in to eliminate sconces and overhead lighting that should have been used instead. The mirror is awful: cold, dystopian, and unwelcoming and needs to go!

Like others suggested, adding some natural wood elements, more lighting, art, and pretty linens will warm the space; you're off to a good start, it just needs to be finished.

The fixture above the tub should be rated for a damp environment-the one there may not be so you'll want to double check that. You might consider hiring a lighting designer to help with the lighting issues.

Good luck! All is not lost-you've got the 80% solution.

• sphipps62
    last year

You do have a very nice base to work with, they did do a beautiful job, just like your inspiration photo I would lighten wall paint color to lighter warmer grey, add your warm wood shelving above toilet, add wood stool to shower, add a wood tub caddy, paint floor trim white, definitely change out the mirror ( currently looks cold and too modern) to 2 wood framed mirrors , and yes to changing out the light over tub, doesnt match the vibe you were going for.... and just like others said change lighting to warm lighting 2700 to 3000 would warm it up, add textured runner rug below vanity, and greenery!

Katie S thanked sphipps62
  • RTHawk
    last year

I think this is what Verbo was referring to re: code violation

2020 Code Language:

410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. A luminaire installed in a bathtub or shower area shall meet all of the following requirements:

N (1) No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all-encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall.

N (2) Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked suitable for damp locations or marked suitable for wet locations. Luminaires located where subject to shower spray shall be marked suitable for wet locations.

• Julie R.
    last year

Your bathroom has a lovely base. It’s also natural to hyperventilate and have doubts/regret when you’re at this stage; it’s not decorated/done. You will nit-pick over things now that you won’t care about or remember in 6mo; it happens. I honestly don’t see a reason to fire a designer.

For me, two things stand out:

1. Unlike the inspiration pic, someone chose standard shower glass rather than low iron glass. That choice is perfectly fine, but it alters the aesthetic when you have light colored shower tile.
    2. I’m surprised there’s no tile or beadboard tub surround. I guarantee there will be some wall splashes…even when careful.

Here’s my new bathroom (no designer - just me). I love it, but I freaked out over the initial plainness, over my floors being “too white”, etc, etc, until I brought in texture and color. (Photos taken with dusky / overcast natural light. Porcelain marble-look tile and low-iron glass.)

Go back to the ”feel” you wanted to achieve. Reflect on the color(s) that speak to you. You can do this.

• happyleg
    last year

The pic with the three rugs I would get the sink one longer so it comes to the tub then you only have two rugs or around rug at the sink and a square rug or rectangle rug at the shower