SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_campbell73

Are en suite baths worth the smaller mudroom?

Karen Campbell
last year
last modified: last year

I have a basement garage leading to a daylight basement mudroom before our kids' bedrooms. Each bedroom is an ensuite with a medium wall closet. I am considering (against the will of the kiddos) combining the bathrooms to one shared bathroom with 2 sinks in order to gain space back in the mudroom. There would no longer be ensuites, but one bathroom accessed from the hallway closer to one of the bedrooms.

We are a blended family with one 9 yo boy (his) and one 12 yo girl (mine). My daughter may hate the idea, but it seems more cost effective. Other option is to turn her bathroom 90 deg to freeup more open space in the mudroom. Also thought of taking out the slider for his bathroom to eliminate access from bedroom and make it hallway only (he is only with us 50% of the time). Anyone else with input on this dilemma? Glad to hear ideas.

An imperfect screenshot, but thought I'd add an update. We were able to move the exterior entry door for the basement mudroom to create a small vestibule under the front porch, improve room for modular closets, and keep 2 en suites (with the shared door to the lesser of the two used bathrooms).

Comments (9)