SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mario_d_gw

master bath smaller than guest

mario_d
17 years ago

Hi,

I recently purchased a ranch home made in 50s and I am in the process of planning to remodel it since it is outdated. The house has a master bath (one sink, toilet and a shower) which I thought was pretty cool since this is a 50s house. The other bathroom in the middle of the house however has a bathtub and room for double sinks, so it's bigger. Do you think it is worth trying to make the master bath bigger and shrink the "guest" bathroom?

I would have to knock down few walls and rearrange things and I am willing to do that if it would increase the value of the house.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Mario

Comments (34)

• marge727
    17 years ago

We had that in our home and we added on to the master bath and also added the mammoth closet we wanted plus a bigger steam room. We simply remodeled the guest bath. Everyone who sees it goes "wow" so I would imagine that has increased the value.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

We did this back in 1980. We purchased a small ranch that had a huge hall bath, but only a half bath in the master. The linen closet was in the masterbath and the bathroom actually backed up to the hall bath. We made the hall bath smaller by putting in a single vanity and used the space saved from the double vanity and we took out the linen closet in the master and put in a tub and shower to make a true master bath. It helped on resale because we now had a true 2 bath home instead of a 1.5 bath home. So if you can make your master a true full bath instead of a 1.75 bath I think it would be worth it.

• Related Discussions

Need layout help with Master Bath/Main Bath redo

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Cat-Mom, Yup, we're also renoing Living Room and Master Bedroom at the same time- you? :>) I just faux-painted our entry stair railing to make do until we add on to our front entry. So many balls in the air, hard to juggle it all at one time. kgwlisa, That's what I had thought of so far, basement ceiling has been ripped down, so all the plumbing is fully exposed, and present shower and bath have leaking problems, so things pretty well have to be redone anyways. I was even contemplating 'borrowing' more out of the common wall when we build it, by building in storage behind mirror and perhaps a deeper vanity. I'm assuming this is a fairly basic/common plan, and hopefully others have paved the path... Rae
    ...See More

going from full bath to 3/4 bath in guest bathroom?

Q

Comments (17)
    "The pull of that tub on the first floor for young families is a real selling point here. Any mom who has had to run up stairs constantly to stay with pre-schooled aged children in the tub, while trying to do laundry and get supper on the table can appreciate the usefulness of a main floor tub. " Yeah, um, no. As a mother with two little kids, I NEVER used the full bath on the main floor for bathing. If I'm making dinner and doing laundry, there's no way on God's green earth I've got kids in a tub as well. Kids in tubs need to be watched. If their bedrooms are upstairs, then that's where I bathe them. No slipping of wet feet going upstairs, no water tracked through the house to their bedrooms. However, my caveat to this is your house wouldn't be on my buyer's radar because I need a kid's bathroom with a tub upstairs, and if I could find a house in your price range where I didn't have to bathe my kids in the master bathroom, I'd take it every time.
    ...See More

Smaller Master Bath/Closet

Q

Comments (6)
    Hey CP (hope your project is moving along). The master bedroom I have designed is 11' 6" on that wall that I am willing to shrink, and 12' on the other dimension. It's a cozy size, fits a queen bed, two night stands, 8' waist high dresser and that's about it....which is all I need in there. I expanded the bathroom wall and the 10'6" works in the bedroom, as it's just walkway between the foot of the bed. Leaves about 3' to 3.5' of walking room. Whereas not shrinking the room gives a gracious 4 to 4.5' of walking room, which if I had that room I'd just put more storage there.
    ...See More

Master suite or guest bath + remodel?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for your input. The budget is $25-30K, in Los Angeles. That's about twice what we went into this "wanting" to spend. I'm not expecting to recoup the entire cost, but we're in a rapidly changing neighborhood with rapidly escalating home prices, so it's not totally outside the realm of possibility. It's also possible that we could stay much longer than I think. We bolted the foundation, restored/replaced the hardwood floors, removed/hid the popcorn ceilings, and widened the bedroom closet doors last year when we moved in. We got off easy on the asbestos, but doubled our costs when we found out all of our gas lines and half our electrical needed to be replaced ASAP. So yeah, I'm worried that our 20% contingency cushion won't cut it this time either. Option 2 opens onto the laundry alcove that is directly off the kitchen. I agree, it's not ideal. It is also more limiting in terms of potential future projects like a kitchen remodel. I'm really leaning toward the master suite. Additional storage will come from a built-in bench in the dining room window bay, custom surrounds for the laundry and refrigerator, and--who am I kidding?--probably a larger shed as well. Never buy a house without a garage.
    ...See More
  • mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will attach a top view of the house of the layout. There is a walk-in closet next to that bathroom also so if I expand the bathroom I will have to move the closet too. I think keeping a walk in closet is better than making it just a regular closet. What do you think?

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Closet space in a 50's ranch is at a premium, if there's anyway you can still manage to have a walk in closet in the master you should do so. I didn't see a picture attached of your floor plan but it may help to visualize the lay out if you could post one.

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am trying to figure out how to attach a picture....Anyone knows how?

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

You need to open a photobucket account, upload your picture to the photobucket account, copy the TAG line and paste it in your post.

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok this is my first try so hopefully it works, thank you.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

I'm not an architect, but I don't see how you're going to be able to tap into all that hall bathroom space without cutting off the hallway that leads to the other two bedrooms. Remember, you don't want to have a strange layout that would leave people with a funny feeling about entering the other bedrooms from the kitchen and not the bedroom wing of the house. Also for the hall bathroom, if you plan on extending the master bath out into that hall, then your entrance to the hall bath would be where? Off the hallway with the other two bedrooms? which would then mean you'd have guests traipsing all the way from the living room, through the kitchen to use the bathroom? If it were my home, and I do love closet space so this is difficult for me to say, I'd take the masterbath about three feet into that large walk in closet and make it a regular closet, at 8 x 3 it would still be a decent size closet for that size house. I'd leave the hall bath alone just because I wouldn't want an odd layout for the house. Perhaps others have more insight, thanks for sharing the floorplan with us.

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your opinion. I was thinking of changing a layout altogether because of that bathroom. Here is maybe a layout that might work. The part that concerns me is that master bedroom door is kind of around the corner.

So you think increasing a bathroom and decreasing the closet is a better idea?
    What about the entrance door I have on the south, I think it is kind of in a bad spot because you walk directly into the living room. The other entrance top-right has more space to leave shoes and coats. Do you think if I remove that south door and extend bathroom towards the living room would be a solution?

Thanks

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Again just my opinion, I wouldn't remove the south door because I would want the front entrance to be the living room, not that room in the far right corner. That right rear area may be an ideal door for family to enter and leave coats etc, but I think the front entry should remain intact for guests. Also I do not like the bathroom door opening into the living space!!! It should open off a hallway, and the third bedroom, how does it access the bath, by going all the way through the kitchen? The master bedroom door around the corner does not bother me, it adds a sense of privacy to the master suite. My opinion is that the layout will be odd if you go with your proposed floor plan. I do think you'd be better off just making the master closet smaller and extending the master bath into the master closet.

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I appreciate your opinion cordovamom. I've heard many times how people like walk in closets so my thought was that it wouldn't be good to change the size of the closet.
    Do you think this new size of the bathroom is a decent size? Is the closet too small now?
    Thank you
    Mario

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

On paper the bathroom size looks fine, can you put in all the fixtures in the sizes that you want them to be? Separate shower or shower/tub combo? Single or double vanity? As for the closet I think it's a toss up of whether you should use part of the master closet for a hall closet. What part of the country do you live in? If you're in the north or east where a coat closet is a necessity then I think your plan works, it gives you a bigger bath, you still have a decent size closet especially for a 50's ranch and you get your hall closet. If you live in California or another warm climate, I'd forego the coat closet in deference to more closet space in the master.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Another option, since you feel your hall bath is too large, if you want a coat closet, use the portion of the hall bath that directly faces the front door as your hall closet and make your master closet bigger.

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am trying to find out the standard dimensions or sinks and bath tub/showers so i can calculate how much room I would need.
    I live in Wisconsin.
    I do like your idea of removing that one coat closet facing the living room and making one in the hall bath.
    As far as overall value do you think it's better to have a coat closet with smaller bath or no coat closet with bigger bath (i'm reffering to hall bath)?
    I've got mixed opinions about that one from people...

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

I think in Wisconsin a coat closet is a good idea. Your hall bath is a great size already, taking a small portion of it for a coat closet won't hurt. When I lived in Michigan I wouldn't have considered a house without a hall coat closet. Now that I live in Tennessee, coat closets aren't as important. There are probably some plumbing fixtures sights online that would give you an idea of the dimensions of the fixtures you need, barring that, go to Lowes or HD and measure the fixtures you think would work.

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's a good idea thanks. It would seem that putting a coat closet wouldn't affect the hall bath too much. I'm looking into dimensions for master bath and what I can put in there.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

Just another thought for you, consider putting the master closet door off the bathroom instead of off the bedroom. I don't know if it would work for your bathroom layout or if you'd personally like that, but it would give your closet so much more usable space, you could put closet rods on the left wall, the right closet wall and the back closet wall. I only mention doing that because that's how my master closet is, and I love it. Some people may not like a closet off a master bath though. Just a thought.

• dainaadele
    17 years ago

Hey! Scanning posts and saw this one. I am going to chime in here with the little bath suggestion. Our master bath that we have just put in is actually smaller than what you have now. I had to choose between bath and closet space. I went with the tiny bath and am so relieved over my decision. There are a couple of things that makes this work and not feel like we have a tiny bath. The first is a luxurious feel. I wish it was finished (so far the final product is in my head), but wood wainscot paneling on the lower half, a glass vessel sink with a stained glass pedestal with night light inside, special sconces, dark rich wallpaper, black trim, 5' special shower with multiple heads and heat lamp make this a tiny, jewel of a bath. Even only half done, everyone is wow-ing it. "my husband calls it "hot and dark.' Grin.

The main reason it is working so far is that I have a seperate vanity area inside our closet. I stole that area from the neigboring bedroom. It is a 2x3 area with a wonderful mirror, lights all around, 8 (yes, eight) electrical plug ins and shelving below. The idea of this is that the hair drying, makeup, etc can be done here rather than the bath. It works so well because I can now do my stuff in a dry area rather than trying to put makeup and do hair while my husband steams up the bathroom taking a shower. The vanity also removes most of the storage needed in the bath, making it less cluttered in there, ergo, more spa like. I do love it so. Like I said, just some thoughts...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• liketolearn
    17 years ago

Why not just do a bump-out addition to the Master bath? Nothing large maybe the size of a walk-in shower with high windows (lots of them to let in light and open up the room while allowing privacy. Then leave the rest of the house as is.

• c9pilot
    17 years ago

Just saw this post (although my browser will not let me see photos or diagrams) and my first question is why you are making this change?
    I would say to make the changes that you need to make your house more liveable and practical for you, unless your main concern is flipping the house soon.
    Personally, I need a larger guest bathroom because more people use it. Only two people use my master, me and my DH. This past week, I had 4 people using one guest bath (which is also the only downstairs toilet, so everyone was using it somewhat) and 5 people using the upstairs one. When we move to FL, it will be all those same 9 folks using one bathroom.
    Just something to consider.
    R/
    Lisa A.

• rachelrachel
    17 years ago

Okay - now I'm putting in my two cents. I have a full bathroom off my bedroom. Not huge, but has all the elements - it's 5 x 7. I like the first layout the best. My suggestion would be that you do not enter the bathroom from the bedroom at all. Close that wall up, and enter the bathroom from the walk-in closet. This increases wall space in your bedroom, puts you right where the clothes and hamper are, and increases privacy for whoever is using the bathroom. I think this will also increase your layout options for your bathroom. For the bathroom, I would suggest making sure that your tub is deep enough for an adult, as my tub does not have high sides so does not cover me that well.

• mlo1
    17 years ago

I also live in a home of this vintage and design, including the rare but small MBR. Many of these homes are jewels waiting to be refined. I made some changes immediately after buying and now several years later are changing some of what we had done, again. Nothing beats living in a home for a while and truly finding out what it needs or wants to fit your lifestyle and often it's architecture/design. This only takes place by being aware of such issues while planning and performing the changes. I think all to often quick desires based on perceptions and even hastly offered advice from proffesionals is not the answer.

In our case it was ultimately determined that many small things needed addressed for our liking. Like closet storage, a laundry room, front entry position, kitchen size/design, electrical service placement, window sizing, etc. Once having a detailed list of things we wanted to address, it allowed us to interact with an architect (actually several before we found a good one) to best and most efficiently achieve the desired end result. During this time we also made up a floorplan drawing and took structural notes that we had made into blueprints. This has become invaluable to the planning end while talking to proffesional. Yes, this up-front scenario cost us a couple thousand dollars but ultimately saved us that I,m sure and has made the end result one that is very marketable when that time comes.

I see your plan as having many options and frankly quite functionable and liveable by today standards, I also like it best. I could see changing/remodeling things like the scale of the MBR closet and bath as well as the main bath entrance but would need more info to make any real recomendations. You do not mention anything about laundry facilities which often need to be addressed in these homes. Go slow and let the structure evolve around your living and using habits.

• jon3333
    17 years ago

Why donÂt you just demo the whole house and start from scratch. Sounds like you picked a real winner of a house there. You could also build on a second story and then have that be your whole master bath room. There you go, Problem solved. LOL ;-)

-Hue Gass-

• reyesuela
    17 years ago

You're killing yourself on resale if the hall bath has no bathtub!

I hate halls, so I like something like this better (sorry--I forgot to pur in a door to the hall bath.)

This is very rough--obviously, there AREN'T two showers in the master suite or two sinks in the hall bath. This keeps the door to the master suite in an out-of-the-way location, gives you max closet space, gives you a MUCH bigger bath, and still keeps the hall bath a decent size. And it even preserves the storage of the hall closet.

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"Why not just do a bump-out addition to the Master bath? Nothing large maybe the size of a walk-in shower with high windows (lots of them to let in light and open up the room while allowing privacy. Then leave the rest of the house as is."

I think I would have to mess with roof a little since it would be sticking out of roof overhang and it would seem to be a lot more work.

• jon3333
    17 years ago

"I think I would have to mess with roof a little since it would be sticking out of roof overhang and it would seem to be a lot more work."

Why worry about the roof over the bathroom? Just have a master bath without a roof! You might be able to look up at the stars while sitting on the can! Like I said before, just build a second floor and have the master bath above the master bedroom.

-Hue Gass-

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi reyesuela,
    I forgot to point out that there is a chimney so here is a picture with chimney pointed which means I can't move it.

Also in your image I don't have a pantry, i think I need a pantry for the kitchen. It is an interesting idea you had, thanks for your suggestion.

Mario

• mlo1
    17 years ago

Some questions...

Are you open to possibly changing the floorplan or just modifying existing room locations?
    Where is North?
    Where is washer and dryer?
    What is the chimney used for currently?
    Any good views?

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Some questions...
    Are you open to possibly changing the floorplan or just modifying existing room locations?

*I don't think i have too much choice in the floorplan because the driveway is on the right side so living room has to be on that side.

Where is North?
    * North is UP in the floorplan

Where is washer and dryer?
    * Washer and dryer are in the basement so i don't have to worry about them in this floorplan.

What is the chimney used for currently?
    * Chimney is used for furnace.

Any good views?
    * all 4 sides have good views. North side has 3 big old oak trees which is why I want more windows on that side.

• mlo1
    17 years ago

I see no semi-easy way to create something better, different yes, not better.

A small entry area would be nice. I also could see the entire kitchen and center portion of the home being torn out and reworked, not fast or cheap. Tough plan!

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"A small entry area would be nice. I also could see the entire kitchen and center portion of the home being torn out and reworked, not fast or cheap. Tough plan!"

Actually the kitchen will have to be remodeled completely anyway. In fact I am planning to put hardwood floors, all new doors and pretty much everything knew except the walls that I don't knock down. Moving walls is cheap, but not fast you are right :)
    What did you think about the kitchen reworked? there isn't much I can do about the shape in this current state.

• reyesuela
    17 years ago

THe pantry's around the corner of the kitchen in the other direction now.

And the chimey can be left alone in the master closet!

• mlo1
    17 years ago

After much looking and certainly not having some structural specifics, here is what appeals to me.

I would relocate the MBR and Mbath into the northwest corner, Mbath would be where the kicthen is currently. Then the next two BR's would be located between the MBR and South wall, with long dimensions running east-west. Both secondary BR's could have the closets side by side on the shared wall, half the wall is one BR's closet and the other half is the opposites BR's closet. This is keeping things located as tight to the west wall as possible and seems do-able.

This obviously involves the entire kitchen being moved over to the right. I see it as either an "L" shape or split counter style with the main appliance counter against the back of the MBR running south (just like the "L"). An open style kitchen-LR-DR would comprise the east side of the plan.

The main bath and storage would need to be planned around everything else (narrower) but same basic area in the plan. A closet could be put on the east wall of the southern BR facing the entry. And still have more room for an entry plan. Or even the bath can go in that area and the center location currently could be made into closet/storage only. The east wall of that would be the LR.

The things that "jump out at me" driving my choices are the crowded entry, convuluted BR-hallway layout (& size), and kitchen design.

No doubt, once drawing things out around the existing structure's design may make this all an impossibility. But in the process of drawing, measuring, and walking-thru mentally, a more functional and more pleasing plan may show. I personally find that the process of simply trying things narrows the design choices down, sort-of a deductive reasoning. You become more in-tune with the structure and will start to see where your energy needs to be spent to address your priorities.

Good luck!

• mario_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"THe pantry's around the corner of the kitchen in the other direction now.
    And the chimey can be left alone in the master closet!"

You mean where I have circled it in this pic?
    I am not sure if that is a small pantry now. I don't know how big pantries are suppose to be.