SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

crazy idea for trenching/excavation

I'm putting in some very long french drains. I have a Kubota BX23s with a small backhoe that can work pretty quickly, but always thought I'd eventually hire a contractor to help me. Alas, it's hard enough to find a semi-competent seeming excavator around here, period, but NOBODY has a bucket smaller than 18". The 12" bucket on my tractor already created trenches that ate expensive round drainage rock like it was going out of style.

Tell me if this seems like it would work, or is complete madness. Have the 18" trenches dug. Put some 4X8 thick plywood in the rough middle of the hole lengthwise, with 2 pieces you could have 16 ft to work with. Segmenting the trench. (Maybe slightly to one side to create a 10 inch trench) Prop up with some pressure treated 4X4 I have hanging around. Start backfilling one side with the rock and filter fabric, the other side with dirt. As you complete one 8 foot stretch pull the plywood up w/the front end loader and some chains, move it 8 feet down. Repeat. Not ideal, but would save me from having to buy another load of rock. There are other reasons I don't want the trenches to be huge...will be harder for the grass to grow back in the gap. It's also going to speed the laying of the fabric, to have one smooth side of wood.

Comments (10)