SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

beit alpha cucumber seedlings hurt by first day outside

barplants123 barplants123
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I started these seeds about 6 weeks ago indoors next to a sliding door. On colder nights I put a space heater in that room. They were doing ok but have thin stems.

This is in NJ. it was partly sunny and I think around 50s the one day I put them outside for about 6 hours and I got home home late from work at dark when it might dipped into the 40s. I watered them when I put them outside.

It was windy that day and I read that can be bad for seedlings. I don't know if it was the wind or sun but now they're yellowed and some are shriveled and look dying. I grew them in basically just some yard dirt mixed w a bag of potting soil and it's not the greatest medium but usually does fine.

They were really growing on an angle towards the sliding door and when I put them outside they got all twisted etc.

Everything else did fine outside, tomatoes, peppers, tobacco, chard, etc which are all much smaller seedlings though. The sunflowers are long and stemmy but they did fine.

I'll try to post pics.

What I'm wondering is if I should not put them outside during the day yet even though it's warmer and sunny in the day? And see if they get stronger indoors first?

Comment (1)