SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austinkisses2008z8a

HELP PLEASE…Pot culture for late spring planting of bare root rose

Austin
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I recently moved and brought 3 of my roses with me. They will need to live in the 22” pots for about a year while I search for the right house. I recently learned that David Austin will no longer carry The Dark Lady, my favorite Austin. In case any of you recall my prior post you will recall that I bored everyone declaring her performance in my Texas climate. Austin/Tyler agreed to send me 2 bare root plants if I waved the warrenity.

I received and planted them about a week+ ago. I piled compost up their canes to keep them moist until they develpe feeder roots. I have no idea of this was correct and I have no idea how long before I should pull it down. Currently the canes have swelling leaf buds. My concern is that the canes have looked grayish green except when they are damp. The slightest mist and they turn emeral green as is normal.

If anyone has experience or suggestions with this late season planting of bare roots in pots please share. I know several of you speak of your pot gettos so I am hopeful you will chime in.

They arrives as strong healty plants with stong root systems but Texas is fast heating up.

Pictue is of one spray of DL cut in August from my Dallas plant.

Thanks friends, BR

Comments (15)