SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Lilac illness(?) question

Hello to the folks who frequent this forum. I don't usually come here, but am a stalwart on the old rose forum. I'm writing in because I have a suffering lilac and am afraid it has something that may get worse. I had another mature lilac, not very close by, that had similar symptoms and over a period of a few years was reduced to a few sickly sticks. This lilac this spring has produced growth that shows no signs of disease on the foliage, branches, or twigs, but the inflorescences are much smaller than usual and the flowers a pale dirty color, very different from the normal inflorescences that the lilac is also carrying on different branches. This is a named variety of Syringa vulgaris, though I don't know the variety, is a few years old, grown from a sucker, i.e. not grafted, and has always been healthy. I have quite a few lilacs and most of them do fine: they're a popular shrub locally and are great survivors. This one has not been exposed to herbicides, or any other -cides, and in fact hasn't been exposed to much of anything, as far as extra water or fertilizer is concerned: it grows au naturel and has always been fine with that. It's taller than head height, but isn't old enough to need rejuvenation pruning. So that's the situation. Any ideas?

I should add that this odd and ugly flowering is absolutely not a common behavior of my lilacs: I've seen it on three plants (out of several dozen I grow) in the space of twenty years.

Thanks for any suggestions. By the way, I live in Italy.

Comments (8)