SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Floof- What kind of pants do you wear?

lucillle
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Khakis, jeans, knits, linen? Zipper, buttons, elastic?

Comments (63)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

Wrangler jeans with the hammer loop on the left leg and tool pocket on the right leg. The tool pocket is perfect for my phone.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

Depends on where/what I'm doing. I was raised with different clothes for different things. So I have indoor around the house, outdoor work, going out in public for errands and such, going out in public for nicer like work or brunch, and dress clothes.

So indoor pants tend to be sweats, leggings, fuzzy pj pants, that sort of thing. Outdoor work pants tend to be heavy duty work pants, adventure pants, leggings and sweats, or elastic band shorts. I dont' wear any of that kind of stuff to leave the property to go out in public.

Going out in public for errands and such tends to be casual. Jeans, khakis, cargo pants, capris, sometimes palazzos or knickers. All with proper waist closures. One pair of jean leggings that gets worn with longer shirts. Going out nice tends to be more slacks, dress jeans, capris, and sometimes palazzos. I tend not to wear shorts much in public, but I do have a couple pairs of the leggings ones that go down to almost the knee to pair with long summer tops and short dresses.

Only own two linen bottoms. A pair of yellow trousers and a pair of white slacks. Both for very nice or dress wearing. I tend to wear linen tops or dresses more.

I also have a stack of bottoms for garb that don't get worn very often. Britches, pantaloons, tights and leggings, knickers, bloomers, and wrap pants.

• Related Discussions

Not what do you wear, instead: How do you wear jewelry?

Q

Comments (17)
    As I matter of fact I do wear jewelry differently at my 2 homes! I can't stand cold metal touching me so I don't wear necklaces in the winter (from Nov to about March) at my regular home. And I wear one particular pair of earring almost all winter because they dangle but not long enough to touch my skin. Some of the longer ones end up touching my neck from my scarves & bulky coat so I avoid those. It's crazy but cold metal just sends a chill right through me and makes me feel colder. Since it's warmer in HHI, I do wear necklaces & earrings and even bracelets. I usually bring a few down with me so that I can have some variety. One necklace at a time, if it's bold than the earrings are smaller. One bracelet at a time and it depends on my sleeve length. In both places, I occasionally wear rings when I remember them. Your comments about gold & blue reminds me that I have an 18k gold ring with a lapis lazuli stone. I should dig that out and start wearing it again.
    ...See More

Oh my god... he is wearing long pants and a T-shirt

Q

Comments (15)
    I wear long pants and long sleeve shirts during the sun months (for protection). My dermatologist told me that I must protect from sun burn and tannning. He said that I was running risk of skin cancers even if I exposed gently. He said that for me a tan and skin damage were tightly coupled. He told me that i should apply protective lotion when I ventured out this summer. He had performed a peel on my face earlier this year to remove pre-cancerous cells and a couple of dark spots. I may have looked strange to my neighbors this summer since I wore a straw hat while mowing my lawn. I know; My attire was old style or maybe a better descriptor was no-style.
    ...See More

What Kind of Shoes Did You Wear in High School ?

Q

Comments (38)
    I don't really remember, other than a couple of pairs that matched specific outfits. That was back when we bought 'outfits', we couldn't wear pants (certainly not jeans). I babysat for most of my clothes money. There was a dress code, a minimum length for skirts. My first year out of high school I worked part time in a forestry office while going to Jr College (it was Weyco) and they still had a dress code, not even matching jackets/pantsuits were allowed. I was scolded for culottes (aka split skirt) (knee length and with stockings) when I showed up for the afternoon after attending classes. The head forester, crabby old guy ;) I see his son occasionally now and I shared with him that his dad had read me the riot act for being inappropriately dressed (he had also said disrespectfully dressed) and he really laughed, enjoyed hearing a story about long ago (1968) since his dad passed several years back, thanked me for telling him. This post was edited by morz8 on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 18:40
    ...See More

Time for new eyeglasses, what kind do you wear?

Q

Comments (47)
    My glasses arrived this morning. Good news and bad news. Rob, thank you for linking Eyebuy Direct, they did a GREAT job! The good news is that my vision is crisp, clear and much better than it has been for several years, with the glasses. A real difference. The bad news is that now when I look in the mirror using the new computer glasses (I got a pair of bifocals and a pair of computer glasses) I can see every eyebrow hair, pore, and unevenly applied makeup job and what I thought was an acceptable makeup job clearly is not, so I'll be spending a tad more time applying stuff.
    ...See More
  • salonva
    2 years ago

Interesting- ( oh and thank you alisande- I went back and corrected)- I had never heard of ripstop so I had to google.

I should have added that when it was freezing cold, I wore the 32 degree ( or below? I can't remember the brand) "long johns" under my leggings.

For sleeping and early morning before I get "dressed" for the day, I am in sweats.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

Lately...It's been 30F out. I put on black tights & a long mens T-shirt(eggplant or teal colored), then a long black sweater and little black ankle boots when I go out. I added two big "buttons" to the front of the sweater so I can close the front...looks like THIS:

The other day I wore THIS to a decorating meeting. One of the guys said I looked like I was going to "High tea". After the meeting, DH & I were going running....all I had to do was ditch the purse & sweater and put on running shoes and a baseball cap.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Pants that are black and stretchy. Lately Ive been buying pants from Athleta. Not leggings, but narrow legs. I see that wider legs or flared hemlines are becoming stylish but it will take me awhile to get used to that look.

I also have several pants from the T by Talbots line. I wish Talbots would lose the dork design from their clothes. So much of their stuff has ruffles or pictures or other frou-frou.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    2 years ago

Jeans or sweat pants. My jeans are now the type with an elastic waist all around. They have some at LL Bean that fit me nicely. My daughter calls them old lady jeans.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I usually wear jeans, they are durable and comfortable and don’t show dirt lol. But, when i am around town, I am very aware that most women here are not wearing jeans, and when I see women, especially my age, in jeans, I think that I don’t like the look. But, I hate to shop, especially for pants. I do occasionally wear leggingss (I resisted for years, I was surprised how comfortable they are) but I have to wear a long tunic-y top with them.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Like beesneeds, different pants for different activities. Around the house, yard, etc. yoga pants. I have regular length and cropped. I have nice ones that can be worn on errands, etc. I'm not big into jeans, I always find them a bit binding (even the stretch ones), but I wear them out occasionally. Slim fit, flares, cut-offs, cropped ones for warmer weather. I'm another who does not like jeans for hiking. If I'm a bit more dressed up, I have all kinds of pants: linen, slim knit ankle pants, wider leg cropped pants (flow-y fabric), etc. I love cropped and ankle pants and have found what kinds of tops to wear with them that work for my height. I wish I could wear some of the casual jogger pants, but I am too short. : (

eta: I love the Lands End Starfish pants. I wear the cropped ones year round (at home) unless it's really cold, then I have some of the long, slim cut style. I recently ordered a black/white print pair of the cropped and a new black pair. I wear them that much. I never, ever wear sweat pants and these are just as comfy and look much better on me too.

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    2 years ago

Usually yoga pants I buy at Costco. Most comfortable for working in. I also have a pair of black levis. But the yoga pants are more comfie.

• Judy Good
    2 years ago

Jeans in the winter, capri jeans in the summer. Various tops from sweatshirts to sweaters and vests.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Jeans, mostly Levi's. Skinny, straight leg (fave), mildly bootcut. Classic 5-pocket. Wore black ones to church for Easter.

• Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

Jeans mostly but I hate the new stretchy material they're all made out of now. A few hours working in the yard and they are so stretched out from bending that they're falling off me. Very annoying. "At work" now I wear leggings or sweat pants unless I had to run errands or work in the yard before work, then it's jeans I was wearing.

I don't think they make jeans to last anymore either, so thin. My daughter has my old, cute jean jacket from the 80s and it looks brand new. Thick, denim. I just threw out a pair of black jeans yesterday that had a hole in the backside. I put my finger in the hole to see if I could repair it but it was very thin around the edges and ripped too easily. I may have had them a couple of years.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I wear a lot of jeans, generally designer in either a dark wash or black. I prefer bootcut, straight leg, or occasionally skinny. Favorite brands include: Hudson, Paige, AG, Joe's. I don't do cropped or "mom jeans" ever. I used to wear trousers / dress pants more often when I worked in a slightly more formal office. Favorite brands were probably Theory and Banana Republic. I do have a few pairs of hiking / travel pants from Prana that I love. They seem to fit me better than other brands. I also have been working from home exclusively since the pandemic and wear leggings around the house nearly all of that time. My current favorite leggings are Colorfulkoala that I buy on Amazon.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

@Kathsgrdn I hear ya with the stretch material. Mine are constantly drooping. I wish I could find some 100% (or close) cotton denim that fades properly.

• User
    2 years ago

Leggings most days, with longer tops that cover my butt.

Stretch jeans with real pockets, not jeggings. Skinny, midrise. All of the other cuts just don't flatter me. I recently saw that midrise is back in style so I can't wait for my favorite brand to bring that back in stock.

I also tried some "kick flare" leggings from American Giant, and.....LOL nope. I have big calves which makes the flare look really weird. I tailored them to straight cut and now they are the BEST leggings ever! I highly recommend that brand.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I wear leggings and yoga pants all winter and capris and shorts all summer. I have a ton of jeans and haven't worn them in a while because they are not nearly as comfortable and bendable as the leggings/yoga pants. I rarely ever wear dresses.

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

Mostly leggings usually two to four pairs depending on the weather and or where I am going. Since I now almost exclusively walk dogs for a living I find they have held up the best. I get the best brand I can find. I always have a skirt on as well. I pull out khakis and khaki length leggings for the spring/summer. My legs have graduated from shorts. A polite way of saying I don't look great in shorts. 🤔🙁

W I meant capris.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Lee Riders (ladies), mid-rise, regular fit, straight cut.

Rusty

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

@Annie Deighnaugh I wear hiking pants in the winter and I found hiking skirts, for summer, a few seasons ago. I find wearing pants are too hot, but I understand why people wear them otherwise. Duluth Trading has some great, durable pants that are also somewhat breathable.

Shorts at home, all seasons, and not because the house is too warm/winter or too cold/summer.

Shorts for working from home

Skirts for hiking and walking/summer/ pants in winter

Pants and skirts for the 3-days I work in the office (but I want to get rid of them for nice khaki's or jeans)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Awesome looking outfit, Nicole.

I wear leggings, slimmfit jeans, when I wear pants, though I prefer skirts and dresses as a rule. I like velvet jeans in the winter.

PS My jeans come in many colors, beige, black, blue, white, pink, pistachio green, and embroidered with flowers all over.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I pretty much don't wear pants unless required to. Legging once in a while. Usually skirts and dresses.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I would never wear jeans for walking. And over here they are definitely not recommended. I find them constraining and if they get wet they are heavy and cold. I have purpose made walking trousers with side pockets, security pockets, showerproofing, engineered knees for ease of movement, rip stop fabric, some stretch and zips at the ankle so they can be put on without removing boots. My winter ones have a warm lining and my summer ones have zippable mesh ventilation panels. Otherwise I wear Robell trousers, exercise leggings, wide leg linen trousers or occasionally jeans. I never wear shorts. Shorts and skirts would be no use for walking our footpaths. You’d be scratched and stung to pieces and, most of the year, wet, muddy, frozen or all three.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

At home, in winter, it is heavy sweat pants. To run errands, black straight leg jeans or corduroy (Macy's). Spring, when it is not as cold, at home I have 3 well-worn sets of cotton french terry top/pants (one is almost ready for the rag bin), and for errands it's the jeans again, khaki Dockers or maybe my looser yoga pants.

I'll wear the khakis all summer, if it's not too hot - I have a very lightweight pair (Caribbean Joe, I think) for the hottest days, when I want full leg coverage. Otherwise it's fitted, all cotton crops or capris for grocery, post office etc. At home in summer, I have a couple of pairs of cotton seersucker, or plain cotton, loose fitting, drawstring waist capris.

Outdoor work? its a variety of stained wornout clothing - but because I attract mosquitos from miles away, I've been using my retired cotton work scrub pants with a cheap long sleeved men's dress shirt most often.

I still get hot flashes so I am all about cotton/breathable as much as possible year round.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"I wish I could find some 100% (or close) cotton denim that fades properly."

Buy men's jeans. I guess it depends on your shape, but since I have to get all my pants altered rather extensively anyway, it doesn't matter. (OK, I don't get my yoga pants altered, but I would if I was going to wear them all day and wanted them to fit.)

In fact, I buy almost exclusively men's pants because they come in 100% cotton, and so few women's clothes do. Varying with the weather, I wear light weight cargo pants, jeans, or yoga pants (NOT leggings - hate leggings). Scrub pants at work. Scrubs and yoga pants are a textile mix, the others are 100% cotton.

• faftris
    2 years ago

Sweatpants or athletic shorts for walking in the morning. I wear jeans or chino-type pants otherwise. I had to REALLY concentrate on getting dressed for the last two years--the PJ pants kept calling my name, but I persisted. I do own two pairs of dress pants, but they are old, and the silhouette is probably not current. Some of my pants are called boyfriend cut and others are "cigarette". Not sure what that translates to in fashion-speak.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

"I wish I could find some 100% (or close) cotton denim that fades properly."

Buy men's jeans

Back in the day I used to wear 501s with the button fly, before they made a women's version. I loved them, but something funny was happening in the butt.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Different pants for different occasions or activities. I seldom wear jeans unless the occasion calls for them to be ok…shopping, date night to a casual place, ball game, etc. I wear slim ones (not skinny) or sometimes white in summer.

My casual at-home pants are yoga pants or Vuori joggers as a rule. Occasionally if it's cold, flannel bottoms. Summer days might be different with shorts or skorts. For hiking I am a firm believer in anything that stretches and breathes. I have Athleta hiking tights for cooler weather, compression capris for warmer weather, and rip-stop capris and longer pants for warmer weather, depending on hiking conditions.

I also have several pair of Duluth NoGa slim knit pants that I love. I routinely wear these out running errands and shopping, on my volunteer job at the Greenhouse, and for many other casual daily running around chores. They aren’t as tight fitting as my usual tights, feel great and take a lot of abuse.

And I do have a few dress pants, some Eileen Fisher I cannot part with from my old work wardrobe.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

@Lars my husband tends to wear shorts all year round as well when he's not in a work uniform. Do you also wear sandals most of the time? He does. Also, those are some awesome black and white pants!

• User
    2 years ago

I went through a phase in high school / college where I never wore jeans or pants -- except for my restaurant uniforms, which I hated. I mostly wore old cutoffs or scandalously short skirts with argyle knee socks or thick tights.

...It was the 90s.

• marilyn_c
    2 years ago

Jeans. Around home when I am working outside, if it isn't warm enough for shorts, I wear sweat pants, or some stretchy pants, for comfort in bending.

• Lars
    2 years ago

pricklypearcactus yes I do wear sandals all year, now that I am retired. On our rare cold days, I will wear socks and shoes, and I still have lots of shoes. I wear shoes mainly when I am hiking, and I have several hiking boots for this activity. When I go on hikes, I always take a change of shoes - that is my first rule for hiking. I also take hiking sticks, to help for steep climbs.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

Lars, I love the pants and your bold fashion choices in general, but have to admit that I am bugged by the manufacturer's failure to match the pattern between the two sides of the pants. Maybe it's the seamstress in me.

• Lars
    2 years ago

I would also have been bugged if I had not gotten the pants for 75% off. If I had made them myself, the pattern would have matched perfectly, but it is rather labor intensive to make a pair of slacks. Once I start going back to fabric stores, I will make some more for myself. They are not hard to make, and when I make them myself, they always fit me the way I want them to.

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

Various colors of denim as much as possible in the winter though I have nicer pants if the occasion warrants. Skorts and dresses in the summer though I do have a bunch of really nice linen pants that I rarely wear these days.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Jeans, jeans, or jeans in most public everyday situations. I have maybe 3 pairs of black dress pants. I haven’t needed them in at least 2 years. If I’m dressing up, I’d rather wear a dress.

Around the house, sweatpants or leggings or pj pants.

For hiking or long walks, I have capri pants from Outdoor Research that have lasted through tons of activity and travels for at least 10 years I think. They are the Ferrosi pants and I think they come in capri and regular length. I have some great pants from Athleta too . Love that Athleta has petite lengths and they actually have things that fit me, unlike Title 9.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Jeans for casual wear in the winter, spring, and fall (Talbot’s Sculpt jeggings and Talbot’s Slim Ankle jeans). Linen pants or shorts/skorts (if appropriate) in the dead of summer. For dress wear, I like Talbot’s Chatham pants. They fit me well and have a little bit of stretch in them which makes them comfortable. Around the house, Lands End Starfish slim leg pants with an over-sized t-shirt. If it is really really cold, then sweatpants.

• moosemac
    2 years ago

Jeans from Talbots, black for work and regular blue for casual. Dress pants when the occasion calls for it. Around the house sweatpants, yoga pants or shorts. I do own business pant and skirt suits as well as a few dresses and skirts.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    2 years ago

When I'm not at home, I wear Perfect fit straight leg black knit pants from LLBean. I've worn them for years and hope they never stop making them. The XL petite fits me exactly right - and they have pockets. I'm not comfotable in jeans. In the summer, I wear loose leg linen pants - I have some in white and khaki, also with pockets. I tend not to carry a purse very often... I also have just purchased some lightweight black knit cotton capris from Jockey with a slightly flared leg which I will get a lot of use out of this summer. I don't own any dresses or skirts and have not worn pantyhose since the 1980's. At home, I just wear sweatpants or yoga pants. I've had so many abdominal surgeries I am not comfortable anymore wearing pants that don't have elastic wastebands.

• gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Thought I posted but maybe not. Wear jeans mostly for concerts. I wear Eddie Bauer pants very similar to what Bumblebeez posted the Columbia brand. Since we are active in lab activities, they work well. Also come in curvy sizes I believe. Also have other Eddie Bauer travel trouser type of pants that have nice deep pockets, deep enough for a cell phone, etc. I have gray and black and wear those pretty much all the time.

I don’t like wearing skirts/dresses. My legs are so pale, and I hate wearing heels.

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Eileen Fisher side zip, ankle length slacks in cotton poplin three quarters of the year, wool lined trousers in winter. occasionally corduroys. Cotton in khaki, white, gray gray, black and navy. Wool in camel, nlack black, gray and navy. Corduroy in loden green, brown or camel. Dressy linen side zip slacks occasionally in summer in light blue, pink, and white.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

My fave for the office or dress is St John worsted wool - navy or black of course.

For leggings, I like Calia. For jeans, Lee or Macy's Charter Club. Nothing "cool" in jeans fit me right.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I think @Lars and I must be the only ones who like print pants. I bought two pair of pants in the last week or so, one is a cropped slim knit pant in ivory. I love the seam down the front. The other is a wide-ish leg linen pant which is striped. Beautiful colors I love - hot pink, turquoise, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Oh, forgot to say, Lars I love those pants!

Prints are nice, but not displayed on my derriere. YDMV.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I like prints for some pants. I was considering these from Talbots, but the top ones seem too short waisted for me. I might try the bottom ones.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    2 years ago

My husband asked me recently do I own a dress. No I don't. After losing all my clothes in the flood I have been rebuilding my wardrobe. I have no need for a dress. I do have a couple of skorts from Costco but I don't know if I have ever worn them. Most of my days are spent indoors at home. I prefer comfortable clothes so leggings, yoga pants and capris, and bike shorts in summer with Tshirts and long tunic tops are my favorites. When I am cold it's sweats and fleece. I bought several items from 32 Degrees during the sale including the down coat and vest. Luckily here in Houston area we don't have a long winter but it has been colder for a few years.

I found some pants for my husband on Amazon they are ripstop have a lot of pockets and fit beautifully. He loves them I bought every color and it's become his every day pants. He gets asked about them often. The brand is Clothin.

While dealing with the broken leg and boot I have been wearing spandex capris.

• gsciencechick
    2 years ago

I like those pants Zalco posted. I have a blue patterned pair similar to those, and they’re also one of my favorites for spring and summer.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

Black

• jill302
    2 years ago

Zalco - Have also been eyeing those Talbots pants. Just wondering if I will wear the print enough.

I am short waisted and tend to carry any extra weight in my tummy, I am straight through the hips with a flat bum. The mid-rise Talbots pants and jeans for the most part, work well for me, use both pants and jeans regularly when I leave the house. Can not wear the popular high-rise style, empire waist pants for me LOL.

My office is at home, I have been remote for 11 years. Around the house I wear leggings or shorts. Leggings are primarily from Costco, shorts have been difficult this year. I like a 7” inseam without a narrower leg and a back that does not make me look flatter than I already am. For years I had a “go to“ short from Lee, no longer able to find them. After trying out shorts from Talbots, Nordstrom and a Macy’s brand, I found a JCP brand that works better, very inexpensive, we will see if they last more than half a season.

• Adella Bedella
    2 years ago

I buy a lot of pants from Costco. They tend to be the leggings, jeggings yoga type pants. I've gotten back into exercise again. These pants give me the versatility I need throughout the day for whatever activity I have. I can usually dress up or down if needed.