SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

Hardwood floor bathroom and wood subfloor: shower on top of what?

venexiano
2 years ago

I am gonna run a nice 8" wide engineered oak flooring into a small bathroom. I know that wood is not the best for a wet room, but I already bought the extra sqft and, if the wood gets bad, in a few years I will replace it with tiles. I want a very modern look, so I am debating if I should risk (A) a tiled shower floor (waterproofed, e.g. with Schluter Kerdi) or (B) should I get a nice pan. Either way, I want frameless grass, with a frameless glass door that closes completely the shower (no permanent opening while showering, although I understand there is still some potential for leaking under the glass). Now the questions are:

1) If I go for tiles, how hard is it gonna be to get the transition level? I see on this post that they suggest a vertical tile curb element, but I see possible tripping happening there. I guess curb could be done lower so there is just maybe a 1/8" step.

2) If I go for a pan, how bad is it to add the pan on top of the wood floor? I might not get the pan before the flooring installer comes, and the wood floor installer (best in the area, it works with million$ houses, highly recommended) said he could run wood floor everywhere and then I add the pan afterward on top of it (I have wall hung toilet and vanity so literally only pan goes on floor). He can leave a hole bigger than the shower and finish up the floor after pan installation. Does pan need a base?

3) Other options would be adding a pan on top of 3/4" plywood that will be laid over the subfloor to make half of the house level with the other half. Does pan need a base in this case or can it go directly on plywood?

4) As for limiting water exiting under the glass door, is there any specific brand for glass doors that would you suggest, or any minimal rubber element to put under the glass door to help with preventing water escape?

Thank you

A

Comments (16)