SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_311795855

Need some input on my building situation.

Mac Bahk
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, new to the site! Currently in the process of building a new home and have run into an issue with the builder. Wanted to get some input before deciding how to tackle this situation.

So we're currently well into the framing and rough-in portion of our project at this time. I just got a late e-mail from the so called "project manager" stating that the original estimated budget for lot finishing (specifically the earth hauling and grading) has gone from $170,000 to $229,798. During the closing phase and feasibility study portion of our project we made it clear that we wanted to be notified immediately of any changes in budget so we can either try to mitigate the costs or acquire additional funding. Now we anticipated increased costs of certain things during construction but for the cost to go this high and to be notified this late into the project just freaking blows my mind. Wife is currently conducting an in-house audit and going over invoices (which really look half ass and printed last minute) to see what options we have at this point.

Long story short. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this. Any input on this situation would be greatly appreciated. We're weighing our options and trying to move forward in the most amicable way possible. But there's no way in hell I'm just going to fork over an additional 59k just because the builder says so. Thanks! Sorry it's kind of long, I tried to make it as short as possible.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations