SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

My Spring "Break" . . . With a Broken Foot & Company!

LynnNM
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Talk about bad timing! A week before our favorite niece, her DH, and their two great kids (8 & 10 y/o) were due to fly in to spend their spring break with us, I break my right foot!

It's been going fairly ok, all things considered. Thank goodness I have a minivan that seats seven, though! These are wonderful, thoughtful people, but they're very outdoorsy and love to hike. Thank goodness my DH is retired, in good shape and also likes to hike!

So far we've taken them on a driving tour of Albuquerque, that first day after we picked them up at the ABQ airport..

Day #2 we dropped them off for a two-hour trail ride up in the Sandia Mountains, which ring the east side of ABQ. Then drove them up to the very top of the mountain, to The Crest. At 10,600+ feet above sea level, the view is breathtaking. I had to wait by the parking area, though. We then all drove north to the old mining town of Madrid (pronounced MAD-rid) for lunch at the picturesque, very cowboy-ish Mine Shaft Tavern. Madrid, BTW, is where the Tim Allen movie "Wild Hogs" was filmed. They loved it!

And then, we drove on to Santa Fe, where we let our daughter take them around the Plaza sightseeing and shopping. Oh, and to see the Miraculous Staircase inside the Loretto Chapel. By that time, I was really tired, and so DH and I headed to our beautiful historic La Fonda Hotel for a drink and to watch the tourists. Ahhh!

And then, later that evening, back down south to one of our very favorite restaurants in the northern part of ABQ that we take every out-of-state visitor to, El Pinto. Thank goodness that restaurant is used to tourists and serves non-New Mexican food, though! We, however, enjoyed enchiladas, chile rellenos, and tamales (LOL)!

By yesterday morning, though, my foot was ready for a break, and so DH took them on another (5 hour this time!) mountain hike. Since my poor foot was still demanding rest, we headed out to a great local brewery for dinner. Again, they ate chicken fingers and grilled cheese while we feasted on green chile cheeseburgers. That's ok, though, as not everyone enjoys our spicy food. They are loving the scenery and the hiking, though!

Today, they're off on another hike, this time in the beautiful Jemez (Hay-mez) Mountains to the west of us a bit, with DH and DD's boyfriend playing tour guides to a scenic waterfall and the famous Shiprock. Since my foot is feeling a bit better, I'll make a big pot of Chicken Tom Ka soup, along with a (pre-bagged) Asian salad, and some fun appetizers for our dinner this evening. And then this evening after dinner. as they fly home tomorrow afternoon, we'll have margaritas out around a cozy fire in our kiva fireplace out on the covered front portal.

Tomorrow, after we drop them off at the airport, I think we'll probably sleep for a week! But, it's been a fun (all things considered) spring break that I'll always remember. And, so will they!

Below is a pic of the Mine Shaft Tavern in Madrid.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County