SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_e_l

Finished Basement Completion Time and Cost - Your Opinions Appreciated

Jane A
2 years ago

Hi all - last summer we contracted for a basement remodel. We have 1,400 square feet walkout basement - modern home, 30 years old.

We will have one complete bathroom, and a rough in for a powder room, laundry, and kitchenette (these will be completed by us later). The rest of the basement is four rooms, some closets, and doors separated by drywall and doors. We needed a new exterior door and HVAC work.

The total contracted price was $219,000. It is now nine months in, and there is no end in sight to them finishing the job. There are still 30 things left for them to do. Today, I finally wrote to the manager above the person who has been working with us, and I actually feel terrible about having to do it.

In your opinions, how long does a basement remodel take? This basement will be fairly well finished and will be apartment-like, although this contractor is not even doing flooring.

I feel like we paid enough for better service? This is exurbs of DC. Thanks for any opinions based on recent experiences with contractors.

Comments (5)