SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisoldthing

Living room furniture (starting from scratch)

E. T.
2 years ago

My spouse and I are finally buying our first house (early 40s) and I'd appreciate advice on how to best furnish our living space. We are childless, expect no children in our future, and our current living room is primarily used for us to work in the evenings sitting next to eachother on the couch. We would like to entertain more in the future, but the space needs to function for the way we actually live. We don't have a TV or plan to get one, but watch movies/shows on a laptop on the coffee table.

Our style leans transitional but not neutral (our current couch is olive green), and we have quirky artwork and ephemera in our living spaces. Right now I am leaning towards purchasing a sectional. Leading our short list is the Maiden Home 101" Crosby Chaise Sectional in Indigo. I know there are some active posters that hate sectionals, and they aren't my favorite style, but functionally it would be a big improvement in terms of how we currently use our space. My spouse is a relentless snuggler, and while I enjoy sitting next to one another I need a place to put my legs.

Is there a way this piece can work in this space? How can we add chairs to make entaining possible without blocking movement into the other rooms? And last but not least, if we go with this piece, what size coffee table is appropriate? We're planning on building our coffee table (simplified stickley style) but it's hard to gauge the appropriate dimensions without knowing what other furniture will go in the space.

Comments (10)