SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael__ames

Al's "nuclear option": moving potted ficus directly into sun

michael_ames
2 years ago

In this post from about eight years ago, Al (tapla) suggested that very brave souls might consider moving ficus trees outdoors into direct sun without acclimating them to higher light levels:

Full sun, but be sure you introduce them gradually - unless you're bold and the plant is going to STAY in full sun from now until fall. Then you CAN plop it straight into full sun. The leaves will all burn (if it's acclimated to low light) and fall off. The upside of that is, the tree will back-bud profusely, making it fuller, and the new leaves that emerge will be perfectly suited to the sites light level. The downside is, you'd have to trust me and ignore your instincts.

My own outdoor space is a second-floor, south-facing balcony with no natural shade, so it would take a bit of engineering or babysitting to try to acclimate my ficus plants to full sun slowly later this spring. If this burn-and-rise-from-the-ashes-like-a-phoenix approach works, I'd like to give it a try.

1. Has anyone (apart from Al) tried this approach and found success?
  2. In the original thread, Al was speaking to a ficus benjamina owner. Would this method work just as well for more fleshy/leathery-leaved types (e.g. elastica, lyrata, benghalensis)?
  3. Does anyone want to hold my hand as I try this later in the spring once temperatures are warm enough? I want to have faith but it does seem like a risk.

Comments (20)