SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kidhorn2

Suggestions on how to handle a rose

charles kidder
2 years ago

This was growing in front of my house. I had a lot going on last year and neglected my gardens. it was overwhelmed with weeds. I didn't know it was there. I was clearing an area for a new rose and found it. Pretty sure it's a pink knockout. It's one of the knockouts. Any way, I dug it up and put it in a much better location. Lots of sun. Well amended soil. The soil that I dug around the roots didn't seem very good. Probably a half gallon or so root ball of red silt/clay. There's one cane growing parallel to the ground about 1" off the ground. The cane is clearly alive, but the growth seems a little iffy. We had a few nights with temps in the 20s, so that may be the reason. There's a knob at the base that seems to have many basal breaks. I don't know if the rose is own root or grafted. I'm guessing own root since the knob is small and knockouts are typically own root. I would have normally buried the knob, but the only cane is growing sideways, so I would have had to bury the cane or plant at an angle with can sticking up.

I think my options are 1) leave it alone and hope the basal breaks grow and are not Dr Huey. 2) Dig it up and replant at an angle so the cane is at more like 45 degrees. Burying the knob. 3) Dig it up and remove the root ball and replant as a bare root. Maybe leave some fibrous roots. The idea is to have the roots in better soil where the roots will grow more easily. or 4) Trash it. Not worth the effort for a knockout.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company