SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbel121

Suggestions on how to handle an issue

bbel121
10 years ago

Hi,

I have a stilt house in Florida. The first raised floor is 1440 sq feet and the second raised floor is 800. I went with a local AC company who suggested a Carrier 2.5 ton for the first floor and a 1.5 ton for the second floor. The temperature is fine as I usually keep it at 77. The problem is the humidity. It is between 55 and 60%.

I did ask when I was buying the unit if it was a variable speed air handler and I was told yes. What I received is as follows:
- indoor FX4DN(B,F)037 and outdoor 25HBC336(A,W)**30
- indoor FXDNF019 and outdoor 25HBC318(A,W)**30

Now after they are installed, it seems I am finding out that they are not variable speed units. I did ask that question due to humidity concerns as I am right on the water.

I guess it is real easy to say "just tell them you want what you were told you were getting". But the reality is I am sure I only paid for what I got(the total bill was $9,400 for removal of the old system, run all new ducts and install these two units. The other challenge is how do I prove that I asked that and they replied it was variable. I want to be reasonable and get a solution that will do what I need done.

So what is the reality that after these have been installed for 6 weeks I can get them to swap these out and be able to pay a price difference to get what I requested(which was a variable speed unit to better handle the humidity)?

Will they have to eat the cost of the whole unit? They are talking about maybe just putting a whole house dehumidifier on one of the units. Will that work well on one fixed speed unit? How should I handle this? As I am looking for a fair solution that works for all without paying more than I should have in the first place.

Final thought, is I am not quite sure of what the price difference would have been to have both units be variable speed versus just putting a whole house dehumidifier on one unit. If it is about a wash and the performance will be the same, that might be the easiest solution. But if you say I really should have the variable unit to make it work correctly or not to drive my electric bill sky high...that makes it much more difficult.

Thanks for your feedback.

This post was edited by bbel121 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 1:30

Comments (11)