SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_614271130

Planting crape myrtle (Acoma) help please!

Christina
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've decided on planting an Acoma crape myrtle in my front yard. My yard is bare and there are no structures or other plants that would get in the way. My questions are in regards to what do I do with the area around the tree? I've looked at so many videos and articles and it seems like they just throw some dirt around the tree and that's it. Is a border around the tree necessary or just for looks? I don't particularly like the way it looks when trees are closed off in a little circle but I don't want my lawn guy to accidentally run over it since the one I am planting will be fairly small at first. If I don't smother the grass will it grow back up to my crape myrtle's trunk? Do crape myrtles tend to kill the grass around it like it in the picture? My grass is surprisingly lush so I prefer no yellow grass around the crape myrtle.

I hope my questions make sense, very new to gardening. I attached a picture of a crape myrtle planted with the extra dirt tossed around it and one that is encircled in a garden border for reference.

Comments (3)