SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s_conrad_gw

Just planted Natchez Crape Myrtle... 9' from the house

s.conrad
15 years ago

I didn't do the proper research when selecting my crape myrtle for our new flower bed in front of our house. I purchased the Natchez variety because it was the most mature plant i could get for the price i was willing to pay.

After putting it in the ground today and then getting online read up on it, i find out that it is one of the largest growing varieties sold. OOOPS!

This tree is currently 7-8 feet tall and about 4 feet wide. It's quite leggy. I'm concerned with the mature width of the tree... as it is planted just 9 feet from my house. i have a raised flower bed made of flat rock, so extending the bed or moving the tree further away is not really an option.

my questions are: What is going to be the best course of action for curbing the trees growth so as not to let it crowd the house and cut off its air circulation... and what is going to be the best course of action to curb its grow so as not to let it outgrow its location. (It has infinite room in every direction except right behind it, and it has plenty of room to get 20' tall.... the house 9' away is the only issue)

let me know if ya'll need any more info.

thanks for the help

Comments (2)