SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Best solution for shower drain construction glitch?

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're building a new bathroom, and hit a problem today with the placement of the drain. We had planned for a 36" x 42" shower with a center drain, and discovered today that the planned placement lands the drain directly on top of a joist. We have three options and need to figure out the best path forward. We are using a pre-made KBRS shower base (already ordered but hoping I can switch it up since it isn't custom!)

Option 1 is to switch to a linear drain. This would run parallel between the joists so would clear the space that way. [ETA: We decided against this, so just debating 2 and 3 now.]

Option 2 is to do an off-center point drain. I think KBRS can do a custom pan with this option, but need to confirm.

Option 3 is to stick with the existing pan and cut and brace the joist so that the drain can come through. I was really hoping to avoid cutting joists (and in fact the reason we missed this in the first place is because we did a last-minute swap of the toilet and the shower so the waste line wouldn't hit the joist--but neither I nor our GC thought to measure for the shower drain after being excited that the waste line hit perfectly!)

What seems like the best solution here? We need to make a quick decision so I can call KBRS tomorrow. Thanks!

Comments (3)