SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glowgirlinto

Help layering foundation plants

Laura
2 years ago

I want to plant three rows along the wall in this garden. I’m in zone 5B so having some winter interest is important. This bed is part-sun. The rose of Sharon has been relocated. The smoke tree is not a favourite of mine and can go if necessary. This space is 25’ x 12’ at the widest point.

I was thinking along the wall of doing a hedge of evergreen - I like yews and would aim for a more natural top rather than formal hedge look. I’d keep them about 40” high which is just below the window ledge. Next would be a row of hydrangeas. Something that grows to about 36”. Then front row would be hostas.

Alternatively, I could go with a bigger hydrangea at the back, evergreen (yew or juniper) for the second row and then hosta in front.

I’m not really sure if there are any pros/cons to consider about what order to do with evergreen vs hydrangea except for how easy it will be to place Christmas lights once a year. And maybe it would look better if the evergreens are in the middle row when everything is bare Nov-Apr?

If I take out the smoke tree, I was thinking of a tall skinny juniper tree in the back corner by the fence.

I’d love any feedback or ideas. Thank you!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting