SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebekah_cantlin

Anyone grow DA’s Buttercup?

Seeingreen
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

someone in a rose growing facebook group, pointed out Walmart, had an out of Patten Austin for sale. I have to say I was quite suprised by this, I’ve been of the opinion the baroot roses coming out of box stores are basically peddling the same disease prone junk thats been sold at least for the last 20-30 years. Maybe with the exception of an heirloom thrown in every once in a while.

I dont mean to say they arn’t pretty roses but ones who black spot with the best of them: Piñata, Don Juan, John F. Kennedy, Blue Girl, Oklahoma, Mr. Lincoln to name a few regular offenders. Not to say they don't have their charm or that I’m not at all tempted by them; because by the end of winter I am always tempted.

still most of these roses have really been outclassed, by healthier plants, and I would argue roses with more beautiful growth habits, not to mention the kaleidoscope of colors, patterns and forms.

But like practally all rules reguarding roses there always seem to be exceptions gems really, mixed in among the baroot twigs. One find for me this year was earthkind‘s Belinda’s Dream (yay!) but most exciting to me was an DA’s rose Buttercup.

Help me find had a little blurb saying its disease resistant and it sounds like it barly meets the mark of being a repeat bloomer but this was very much like striking gold! ….At least I think so? I wonder does anyone grow it? It looks like the rose is still on the DA website and considering they seem to drop roses who are not on par……. Does that mean this is a good rose to grow?

Comment