SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almajess

Dilema on a Pergola! Any lumber experts? Please help!

Almajess
2 years ago

Hi! So I am attaching a pic of a Pergola I feel in love with. We hired a contractor unfortunately on a hasty decision with summer around the corner. I showed him the pic and he said it looked like 8 x 8 beams, quoted me on a 15' by 25' ft size pergola, we agreed and he began extending my concrete floor and digging 6 - 10 x 10" holes. When he showed me the wood he quote, was not even close to the aspect of this one! Was rough and cheap looking. Unfortunately, after doing my research and to achieve this look, would have to use VG Douglas Fir or Cedar and for solid beams that size is crazy expensive (especially at the moment) ! Another suggestion that my contractor said he could do is to cover or wrap around 6x6 redwood cheaper beams with the douglas fir or cedar. Any experts around here with suggestions that can help me guide my contractor to achieve this look as far as wood type and if wrapping beams around might me a problem in the future? Or what do I have to be on top of to make sure he puts them together appropiately. Please help! With the holes areday dugged in my patio I have no other option but to find a solution!Thanks a million...

Comments (12)