SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckshaw

Should I pay my contractor off the contract if he demands it?

GiGi Buckshaw
2 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I’m at my wits end. I bought my Mom’s condo on Anna Maria Island Florida when she passed and decided to completely renovate it. I’m a novice but got plenty of advice from my new neighbors who had already been through the process. After deciding the scope of work I interviewed a few contractors. I chose one who was actually in the high-end because he promised that I “would never have to worry about anything”. He quoted $79,660.00 for labor and rough materials . He also, charged a separate fee if $1,000 for permits. In September I paid a down payment of $31,000 but the project didn’t start until November (it’s now March). I’m living in Michigan because my condo is uninhabitable. On December 4th I get an email telling me that everything is going great inferring things are getting done. He asks for the mid job payment of $ 24,380.00 and I fed ex him a certified check I’m a flight attendant so it’s easy for me to jump on a flight so I go down and stay with my neighbor for a few days on December 28th. I get there and it’s maybe 20% done and the place is a mess. I understand it’s a construction site but they didn’t cover anything like they promised (televisions and new appliances and vanities are full of drywall dust), black mold in the kitchen because a pipe was leaking. (Didn’t even call and tell me) We meet and they apologize and promise they’ll work non-stop to get the project completed. I ask why the permits aren’t posted and they say they “just need to pick them up”. They had told me a month ago that they had them and they were posted. I spend the next few days cleaning, storing and covering everything. Before I left to go home I called the city to ask when the permits were approved. Well, he just filed them the day before (2 days after we met) and they had serious defects. I write an email asking for an explanation, a work schedule and a completion date. Never got any of those things. Well, here we are the middle of March and he says they won’t do anything else without a “draw” from the final payment of $24,280.00 which contractually is due when the project is finished. He still doesn’t have the permits and talks to me more like a gang member instead of a professional businessman. I don’t know what to do. Is it common for contractors to ask for money outside the terms of the contract?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21