SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeowner01460

Under cabinet range hood placement

Erin H
2 years ago

We recently purchased this Proline under cabinet range hood https://www.prolinerangehoods.com/30-under-cabinet-range-hood-pljw-185-30.html and it has a depth of just under 19 inches. Our stove has a depth of 24 inches and I was wondering if anyone has advice on whether it would make sense to leave a gap of several inches between the back of the hood and the wall to provide better coverage of the front burners. We could do a stainless steel filler for the gap to address the appearance, but I am not sure how we would mount the hood if we went this route. Also, it can either vent straight back through the wall to the exterior or go up through the cabinets and then turn to go out out the wall. Is there a difference in performance one way or the other? The people at Proline said it would work fine either way but didn't say whether one was preferable to the other. My thought is it is probably more difficult to go straight back since you can't get your hands back there to properly connect to the duct, but I have no experience in this area and the online videos for installation are pretty poor. I appreciate any advice!

Comments (7)