SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denkyem

Help me plan exterior colour scheme on 110-year old brick semi

denkyem
2 years ago

Hi Houzz,

This is my house, located in an up-and-coming midtown neighbourhood in a very HCOL city. We bought this place in rough shape 3 years ago, did a big almost-gut interior reno, moved in, and are now renovating the basement and back extension (see second photo). As part of the current renovation we are replacing all the basement windows and the back extension will get get big sliding doors on the side facing the yard, a new upstairs window and all new siding. We are also due for a new front door to improve thermal efficiency and let in some light (my parents "gave" us one for Christmas 2020 but we haven't gotten around to it), will need all new windows within the next couple of years, our porch was badly painted with non-exterior paint by the seller's agent and needs redoing, and the eavestroughs need replacing too. We should be able to get a few more years out of the roof, but that will need future work as well. It's a semi-detached house (property line is under that chimney), but most semis in our area don't match their neighbours so that's not a concern for us.

Changes to our exterior will happen bit by bit, but I want to make sure we're working towards a cohesive exterior aesthetic plan and that the new windows and siding we're putting in now will be steps in the right direction, and that's where I need help. As the old brown and white windows come out, should we replace with black windows with black exterior trim, black windows leaving the white exterior trim, or white windows? Should we stick with this black-and-white front porch aesthetic, or choose a different colour scheme? What siding choice on the back extension would look good with our lovely original brick? When we switch out the eavestroughs and shingles should we switch to a different colour? should we stick with a black front door (we'll eliminate the nasty old screen door) or use a fun colour? In general our aesthetic is transitional and we want to preserve the original character of the house, but we do like pops of bright colour and I've been drawn to black-trimmed black windows on similar houses near me.

FYI these photos are from the listing before we bought. That gross old weed tree in the backyard is long gone, and the front landscaping is just a big muddy mess thanks to all the renovations, but my gardening-enthusiast mother has plans for that part. The backyard will get a nice revamp with fences and a proper patio eventually.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES