SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Apartment search, circa 2022, college edition

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I haven't rented an apartment for maybe 25 years. In the interim, there have been some changes!

Like virtual tours, of course. Also self-guided tours, where they hand you a map, doors are unlocked remotely, and you text your questions to the leasing office. Websites with chatbots that get stuck in loops if you ask a question that is not one of the 5 they know. Online floor plans with built in room planners that let you arrange furniture in your would-be apartment.

I mentioned a while back that my DDs, who are a year apart and will be attending schools ~15 miles apart, wanted to get an apartment together next year. Between the two of them, they will be saving tens of thousands on room and board, which I will let them use for rent instead. They have cars. They will pay for utilities and food themselves, with generous parental subsidies from time to time, no doubt.

DH, the girls and I did 5 apartment tours last weekend. I really wanted to download that "swish, swish" sound from Househunters International, when they are crossing things off the list?. Ours is an odd hunt because we aren't really looking at student housing ... we are looking at an area between the 2 schools. DH and I agree we want them to be in a professionally managed complex, for safety and maintenance reasons.

The first place we toured could be re-flagged as a Four Seasons. I want them safe and happy but not spoiled like a rom com character carrying her poodle to class. I ruled it out as too nice. One place was right out of the 70s, and i think in fact mushrooms were growing on site. DH gave that a hard pass. Rundown college housing is almost an amusing cliche but rundown housing outside of that realm is just sad. At the end of the day, I found a choice I thought was ideal. Good location, newish, large, but a bit more Hampton Inn than 4S.

Turns out, the place I find ideal won't rent to college students. Not for any financial reasons, but I assume more... behavioral. I was so frustrated ... no one else brought it up and when I asked around months ago no one I knew had run into that. DH, a lawyer, is pontificating on Supreme Court cases, and I'm like "let me know when you've got that sorted." The other 4 places, including the "Four Seasons" confirmed they do rent to college students!

Then on to rent. Gee, rents are high. They are also illogical. The "Four Seasons" was clearly the nicest, but their prices were on par with far less nice properties. Then it got complicated. The probably needed a place for 9mo.s, maybe 10. But the price per month varied with the length of the lease. And not always in the same direction!

At one place, a 12 mo lease was 3100/mo, but a 10mo lease was 5800 a month, whereas a 9 month lease was 3450/mo. At another place, their 10mo lease was the cheaper than a 12mo lease. So bizarre! And all of this changes daily, depending on supply and demand.

DH observed it's a bit like airline seats. Prices move all over the place, perhaps in part because, like an airline flying with an empty seat, an unrented apartment is worth zero that month.

So, if you are still reading, and have any experience with young adults or college students renting apartments, I'd love to hear. BTW I thought these prices were really high but in talking with a few friends, that crappy rental stuff on campus fringes is wildly overpriced for lousy accommodations. Of course it's not apples to apples bec they are getting a 2br2ba and those places are larger but split 10 ways or somesuch. IDK

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz