SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmg1969

Build or remodel dilemma...or move (opinions wanted)

dmg1969
2 years ago

My wife and I (no kids) currently live in a three-bed, one-bath 960 s.f. ranch modular home (built in the 1980s) in a semi-rural Pennsylvania county. We purchased it for $105K in 2007 and currently owe $62K. The only real major changes were sacrificing a bedroom closet for a larger bathroom and converting the third bedroom to a main floor laundry room. For various reasons I won't get into, we find that the home is no longer suited to us as we get older. So, we have four options.

1. We can sell our home and move to a new home. It would probably be the cheapest option, but I do like the area and the neighbors.

2. The next option is to sell our home and build a new home (stick built or modular) on a new property. That would probably be the most expensive option. On the plus side, we could have total control over everything from the land to the finishes.

3. The next option is one that I really like, but I don't know how practical it would be. That is to tear down the existing modular and have a new home put in its place. The new home would be roughly 1500-1600 s.f. and include dual master suites (only those two bedrooms). I already have it designed and it would have everything we want. On the plus side, we have the existing foundation, although it would need to be expanded. We also have the well already and a brand new well pump and pressure tank. On the negative side, we would have to pay off the existing mortgage in order to do the teardown. Also, the payoff and teardown would eat up more than half of our savings.

4. The final option would be remodel what we have. I don't know if we could do everything I would want without depleting our savings. Those things would be:

Addition of new master suite with WIC on back of the house (roughly 15'x20')

Remove load bearing wall between living room and kitchen for more open feeling (ideal, but not essential)

New kitchen cabinets (use existing appliances)

Relocate driveway

New siding, roof and windows

I welcome everyone's input/.

Dave

Comments (14)