SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sagar_pathak10

Hey Houzz, how'z my floor plan? What do you like? What can improve?

Sagar Pathak
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Houzz, first post and could really use some feedback for our first ever extension + remodel please! We are looking to add a 540 sq ft extension to the front of our house (lower left) for an open kitchen + living room and then convert our existing living room, kitchen, and dining room into a new master bedroom, walk in closet and master bath. (upper right)

This is our first house and first time doing a remodel and just would love some feedback on the layout. To try and save costs, we are moving only 1 load bearing wall (between the new M Bedroom and M Bath) 3 feet towards the garage to open up the M Bedroom), and adding a hallway + door to access the backyard.

Few notes:

1) We are a young family of 3 with a 5 yro who acts like she's 15.

2) We don't entertain often, but we would like to host more.

3) We love watching tv & movies

4) The ceilings are 9' high

5) The bottom of the drawing (the front door & garage) is North

6) The bottom of the drawing faces a busy road.

7) The house is built in 1956

Some things I'm worried about.

1) Do I have enough kitchen cabinets and counter space. Currently I have 17 ft of cabinets in the old kitchen, and now 19 ft in this new plan, but the new counter space is going to be only about 8 feet. There is about 7 feet

2) Is the kitchen too cramped, especially the dining table

3) The "built in" area by the front door (bottom) is actually a mud room. Is that ok?

4) We are opting for no bathtub in the new Master bathroom. We never take baths and have one in the middle guest bathroom (center).

5) Can you make any suggestions for adding surround sound? I'm hoping to have an 85" TV

6) We added 6" walls on the new addition for extra soundproofing against the noise. Is there anything else we can do to help?

7) The windows along the bottom of the drawing face a busy main road. How do you get lots of natural light, but still maintain privacy? We have large windows, but will keep them covered with blinds or a sheer, so doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I feel like I'm fixating on this and would love some extra set of eyes and ideas please.

Thanks!

EDIT: Location is California (aka we don't park our cars in the garage)

Comments (26)