SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

solitary bushtit?

Fori
2 years ago

We normally see bushtits in groups around here but for the past few days, a single individual has been in a bush by my window, hopping around, eating, and peeping. It will relocate to a nearby tree (still peeping) if you try to take a photo, but will return as soon as you leave.

The bush is a tropical hibiscus with giant whiteflies that I've let get tall because it's keeping the morning sun off my computer. The window looks right into the depths of this plant so I can't help but watch this little bird.

The bushtits have always enjoyed my buggy hibiscuses, but I've never seen a loner before.

What's it doing?

Comments (4)

• gyr_falcon
    2 years ago

Sometimes an individual can become separated from the flock, but more likely it is part of a nesting group, which is often composed of 2-4 individual birds. In SoCal, they can begin nesting as early as February.

Fori thanked gyr_falcon
  • Fori
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. He (she?) is still hanging out but has had a companion a few times. If it's nesting season it makes sense that he's not in the big swarm. I'm in the SF area so maybe it's time.

They tend to be pretty wiggly and skittish so it's nice to have one in the window. Darned cute for a bird. :)

• gyr_falcon
    2 years ago

I really enjoy hearing and watching them, too. When flocks come by to feed, I say the clean-up crew has arrived. They especially appreciate the persistently aphid-topped gaura. A few times they have nested on our tiny property, but unfortunately, not successfully. I think the nearby nesting mockingbirds find the nests.

The female adult bushtits have light colored eyes, and the males have dark eyes. Normally, binoculars might be necessary to catch that difference, but it sounds as if you have a very close-up view with the hibiscus' proximity to your window.

Fori thanked gyr_falcon
  • Fori
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The little guy gets really close (it taps and poops on the window) but it's there because of an overgrown bug-infested bush so...the window is shamefully dirty and the view isn't as good as I'd like. Not much is messier than these particular whiteflies.

This morning there was a buddy. :)