SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darren_chang15

Should Gas Pipe Travel Outside The Wall or Inside the Wall?

Darren Chang
2 years ago

Hi,

I'm connecting my gas meter to my range and tankless water heater as part of a remodel project. The gas meter and tankless are on the exterior of the same wall, while the range is on the interior of that wall (see first diagram). Meanwhile there is electrical meter and panel in the area. The location and connection of the electrical meter and panel are given. The walls are open on the inside (no drywall) as I'm still in the rough-in phase. My question is what is the best way of connecting the gas meter to the tankless and range. Option 1 is to run the pipe along the exterior wall. Option 2 is to run the pipe inside the wall by drilling holes on the wall studs. One plumber offered to do it the first way and the other plumber offered to do it the second way. I lean toward option 2 because it is cleaner on the outside and avoids crossing with the electrical. Having the pipe inside the wall also protects it. But I am not a plumber myself and don't know if there could be drawbacks to option 2. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (18)