SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_davy45

Adding a totally not secret staircase to the attic?

Farley McDougal
2 years ago

I own a 2 bedroom home built in 1945, so there is storage space upon storage space. Between the two bedrooms seemingly shared wall, is a 2' deep run of closet space. The hollow space is the same length of the bedroom wall, from hallway to exterior brick wall.

While thinking about reclaiming some of the closet space for the other room with no access, the thought was tossed around to create a staircase in the hollow. All the closet doors would be framed out, walled over, and a door would be added in the hall to access the stairs.

The why.

Not only does this house have storage on top of storage, but a drop down was cut in the small dining room (abhorrently ruining the coved ceilings, requiring table and chairs slid away to open, all the while causing obtrusion while stairs are down). The attic was then semi-built out for what had to have been a children's area (or hiding people?). There are outlets, tiny closets, old wallpaper, built in shelving, a couple AC vents that I capped off. To my wife, it's an easy walkaround, but I have to bend a bit at tallest point. We use it for some storage, but also as a board game/friends area all blanketed and pillowed up (this is AZ so obviously not during the summer).

*full floor to roof area = 2 little closets

So, mostly, I hate the drop down, we also have no need for over-the-top storage, and then of course if you're going to add a narrow 2' wide staircase, hidden between walls, why not make the door a bookcase on hinges and a secret opener. Yes, it would be a narrow staircase, but it's to non-habit space and the attic drop down elbow room is even smaller.

The hardest part and the biggest question.

The joists run perpendicular.... and all I can find online is that is a no no.

Non-professional's thoughts: Studs are being added creating essentially a second true wall that the cut joists would sit on. Could they be continued up, tying into the roof like the little closets to bring back structural integrity to the joist situation?

*mmmm, rock wool

Any answers, brainstorming thoughts, yays, nays, or faceslaps?

Thanks

Comments (52)